Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-29-2004, 05:46 AM
Postmaster

SBV45 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I sent you an email with a writeup on break in that one of the folks contributed earlier. I hope it helps.

2013 F-150 Lariat Supercab 4X4
2009 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0 V6 4X4.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:54 AM
Site Administrator

IB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridn98hd
Tim,
At a crossroad here. As you know, Ford just replaced my '03 with an '04. I've heard here and from other people that you shouldn't do any towing with this 6.0 psd for the 1st. 1000 miles or so to let the engine break in. I have not quite 500 miles on mine but we have reservations to go camping this weekend and it's too late to cancel. It's an '04 F350 cc dually 4x4 and will be pulling a 34' 8500lb. travel trailer on mostly back roads on this trip about 60 miles or so. I'll probably have 500miles on it by the time we leave. do you feel it will be ok or am I setting myself up for something later. Thanks for any help. Steve
Is the total number of miles you are goint to tow this trailer...60?
This might seem weird but....is it falt pulling or.....or....
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

When you are down...look up...get up...and don't ever give up....
Old 06-29-2004, 11:12 PM
Freshman User

ridn98hd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks SBV, alot of reading but I think I got it. I don't know where you guys get all this good info. but I'm glad to find this site.

Tim, It's about 60 mi. one way. I'll leave friday evening and come back monday. Just a short get away. It will be mostly flat ground maybe a hill or two but no mountains until our october trip. There will be alot of stop & go and turns this time though.

Thanks to both for your replies, any additional info. will be greatly appreciated. I want to make sure I treat this truck right and start off on the right foot after all I went through with the last one, but I can't afford to cancel this trip either because I can't get my money back. Thanks again, Steve

'03 F-350 CC DRW 4X4 6.0 PSD torque shift tranny 4.10's
12/02 build date
Dark Highland Green/Baige int.

'79 Ford Bronco XLT
'79 Ford F-100 SB
'98 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
34' Chateau travel trailer
LOVE MY TOYS !
Old 06-30-2004, 04:56 AM
Postmaster

SBV45 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Anytime ridn98hd. That is what this site is all about. I got that info from another on this site. Some of it is worth saving and sharing. Get to know your truck. The more you know the better off you will be with it.

2013 F-150 Lariat Supercab 4X4
2009 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0 V6 4X4.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:42 AM
Posting Guru

slc10844 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsdiesel
Furthermore, the engine oil, lubricating the cylinder walls, will flash burn when it contacts the very hot rings. The burned oil will leave a hard, enamel like residue on the cylinder wall, commonly known as oil glazing. When the rings are permitted to operate under such high temperatures, oil glazing of the cylinder can happen very quickly. Once this glaze builds up, the only repair is a labor-intensive process that requires disassembling the engine and re-honing the effected cylinders.

[/I]
Keeping this in mind, when would be the best time to switch to synthetic oil? I suspect synthetic oil would resist "oil glazing" better than dino oil. Especially if towing with low miles on the engine. I dump the factory fill at 500-1000 miles and refill with dino. Next oil change is 1500 miles later and synthetic is used from there on. One school of thought is, if you use synthetic in a new engine it won't break-in properly. But, GM uses Mobil 1 in the Corvette as factory fill.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:52 AM
Site Administrator

IB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputation
Some say the first and some think the second is the way to go.
I installed oilguard and synthetic at the first change.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Old 06-30-2004, 09:11 AM
Post Fiend

johnsdiesel is starting off with a positive reputation.
I don't think you will do any damage switching to synthetic early on, but it might take your engine a little longer to fully break in. For comparison, Cummins recommends waiting until 20K miles before switching to synthetic.
CMP Info2
Old 04-06-2005, 05:53 PM
Senior User

Photogman is starting off with a positive reputation.
'05 PSD 6.0 with 500 miles on it now

I'm going to be taking a trip in a few days....same day return....about 325 miles each way. Two hour stop when I reach destination. Interstate driving the whole way. How should I be driving given the miles on the motor and interstate hwy? Thanks for the advice. I visit this forum more than any other website....maybe not as much as CNN.COM
Old 04-06-2005, 07:17 PM
Site Administrator

Where have you been John?
Everything OK

Old 07-07-2005, 10:19 PM
Senior User

mh34444 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question RPM range while breaking in a PSD? 500-1000 mile break-in

I've been reading the forum's the best I can about the techniques of engine break-in. Parking lot driving, varying rpm's, no excessive ideling, the do's and dont's, and so on. Applying the varying highway speeds technique hasn't done much for me, 55-65mph seems to be the range, which only gives me a change of 200 rpm or so. 70mph is hard to come by with traffic and the occasional Oregon State Trooper (55mph limit in urban areas).

What I'm wondering is, while on slower speed country roads (40-50mph) without a load, should I be shifting into 3rd gear to get my rpm's up? At 40 mph the tach will set at just around 2500 rpm and the engine temp needle raises a little but not much.

Is this a safe and/or useful technique for break-in?
What would the ideal peak rpm be?
What duration before bringing the rpm's back down?

2005 Ford F350 CC 6.0L PSD, TorqShift, 883 miles
Old 07-16-2005, 02:59 PM
Senior User

Drone Leader is starting off with a positive reputation.
Break-in Load

How much of a load at 1000 miles?
My options include:
- A garage full of stuff to storage?
- Load of yard debris to the dump?
- Tow a small vehicle on a trailer?

When would you suggest trailiering a vehicle behind it?
Old 07-16-2005, 04:46 PM
Senior User

hodgekuter is starting off with a positive reputation.
How to break in 6.0L

[QUOTE=Tadashi]yeah that is the article I read but was not sure what moderate loading meant. I will be hitting that 1k miles soon and want to ensure all is good before my move from KS to TX.[

When I took mine for its maiden voyage it had 519 miles on it. We hooked up to our 12,800 5th wheel and went to Florida for Thanksgiving. No problem other than I felt the TorkShift was hunting more than I would have expected. Since then, we went on trips to several areas of hills and valleys and another Florida trip last week, and all seems well, including the shift hunting. It appears to be learning my habits.

Bill in KY /QUOTE]
Old 08-06-2005, 04:53 PM
Post Fiend

bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
Reading the "break-in" procedure, it left out a number for peak rpm. What would be acceptable for "near red-line" rpm's? I have been following the procedure by accelerating in the lower gears to apprx 2500 - 2750 rpm and then letting off the accelerator until nearly stopped. Is this correct and how many times are recommended?

mark (2005 F250 Crew Cab 6.0L PSD TorqShift FX4 425 miles)
Old 09-06-2005, 04:47 PM
Senior User

az4x4bronc is starting off with a positive reputation.
One interesting observation is when I had my Differentials re-geared and rebuilt the Shop made a strong sugestion to not run the truck for more than 20 miles without stoping to let the Differentials cool off for the first 100 miles. I would think the same recomendation would hold for a new truck.

That was for my 93 Bronco, I just bought a 2006 F-350 PSD two weeks ago and I have 400+ miles on it.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:52 PM
Junior User

reel_scream is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
Just a side note, just got 18.888884 on hwy 299 in calif from Mckinleyville to Trinity lake. 29300 miles with auto!!!!!
Old 09-06-2005, 09:52 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
05, 60, blow, breaking, diesel, droan, engine, expected, f250, fix, ford, life, long, normal, plasma, rings, seat