another one bites the dust...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 10:16 AM
TEXNTEG
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy another one bites the dust...

would you like to guess the problem?

97 XLT reg bed, reg cab. 113k miles. well-maintained and not driven hard.

i'm sure you've already guessed the head gasket. it happened as i was going up to park city from salt lake city to see my mom for mother's day. i was already climbing a grade on I-80, but the incline becomes about 8% and so i kicked it out of overdrive. just a few seconds after downshifting....engine becomes rough, temp rises and oil pressure starts dropping...i look in the mirror and see white smoke starting to come out the exhaust. pulled over and shut her down.
called work and had the F350 with gooseneck trailer brought out. its sitting in the parking garage at sinclair oil's headquarters.

i don't think it is worth fixing. i mean, nothing else has ever gone out and the miles are racking up. i would rather save the money and future headaches and purchase a new 150 next spring. i did talk to the dealer, larry h. miller ford, about the "recall" they had and printed out the documents on www.leakingfords.com. i was too late and they would pay for the part, but not the labor. oh, thanks...that saves alot. my dad suggested i just sell the shell for a few grand. i've already had a few people interested.

i guess i'm down to the integra and work truck(the F350).

this sucks. it was a good truck and was always relied on. it brought me, my stuff and the integra(on a dolley) to utah. and has made many many trips and errands. plus, its been there for a few other things(girls like trucks, need i say more?).

well, i look forward to getting a new model soon, after i graduate college in a year.

Old 05-11-2004, 03:30 PM
BlueOvalFitter
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow! You sure are taking it well! Most rant and rave and want to sue Ford. If it were me,ide be very upset! I'm sure you are/were but you are doing very well maintaining your composure. I feel very bad for you,or anyone this happens to.I did have my lowers replaced,and my truck runs very well.I just wish Ford would recognize this occurring problem and do something about it!

Old 05-11-2004, 05:18 PM
James's f_1_fiddy01
Elder User
why not just slap in a rebuilt motor or replace the faulty gasket?

Old 05-11-2004, 05:45 PM
TEXNTEG
Junior User
BOF-

yeah, i guess i should be very upset, i knew it would happen at some point in time. just not when i was driving home to see my momma. i was upset at the time. i think i was more upset at the ignorance of other driver's not realizing that i had problems and was trying to get over 3 lanes to the righthand shoulder.
i guess i just don't see the point in wasting time and effort trying to get ford to pay for it or threatening to sue people. i've learned its best to move on sometimes. i've got other "fish to fry" right now and don't need more headaches. vehicle wise, i'm doing ok.

james-
the money i save by not doing that, i can put towards a down payment on a new truck that i planned on getting next spring. plus, a vehicle with over 100k miles is always suspect to haveing alternators, starters, pumps, etc. going bad.
i don't really want to get rid of it...but its the easiest and most-wise thing for me to do. i have my integra as a daily driver and my work truck for well, truck needs.

i have been saving for a new truck for a while now, with the few thousand i get from the honda and the money i would get from this truck...i would have a great downpayment. i won't get much in return for having a rebuilt motor. i've already had interest from some people who would like to buy the truck as-is for a few grand. i assume they have something ready to slip in the engine bay. one of the main reasons i would like to get a new one, is the need for 4wd in utah. plus, there have been some major improvements in suspension, construction and drivetrain.

i should add that i never bought this truck. it was given to me about 5 years ago in my grandfather's estate. he had bought it for tooling around town. i got it when he passed away. i am thankful for that and i guess thats why i have no reason to be terribly upset.

the memories of the truck, i will always cherish.

Old 05-12-2004, 09:21 AM
James's f_1_fiddy01
Elder User
what do you want for her?

Old 05-12-2004, 05:34 PM
TEXNTEG
Junior User
i've been offered 3grand already, locally in salt lake.

Old 05-13-2004, 09:49 AM
James's f_1_fiddy01
Elder User
too rich for my blood

Old 05-13-2004, 10:01 AM
kellendv
Freshman User
hehe, i blew a head gasket in salt lake city, only i was slighty more upset because i had to have the truck transported back to san diego and fly home... the meachanic in slc was qouting me 3900, i guess he new i was stuck though.

thats a bummer man, im sorry. you do seam to be taking it well though!

Old 06-03-2004, 07:18 PM
Brotherton
New User
Found this thread on blown head gaskets for the 4.2. I think based on what I am reading that I am another victim of poor design. I noticed a slow leakage of coolant over the last month or so and could never find the leaks on the ground. Now I have white smoke and a loud clicking sound when I start the car. The oil does not appear to be contaminated. It was a quart short and I change the oil about 30 days ago. I added a quart but the noise did not go away. The engine still runs pretty smooth. I'm not sure if I have internal damage or not.

Old 06-03-2004, 08:28 PM
homer4.2
Posting Guru
brotherton, get a new truck, you're completely screwed. My friend had that happening to him and about 2 months after that started the engine exploded while going down the highway. He got smashed by a train and flew out the windshield 530 feet, plummeting into the dirt 3 feet. he did survive.. I just dont want that to happen to u now.

Old 06-03-2004, 09:19 PM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
Brother, it sounds like you still have a chance to salvage the bnlock and heads. get it checked out and fixed soon man, you dont want to knwo the cost of these things