2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Expediton Vs F150 Super Crew

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 09:13 AM
sprintcarcrazy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Expediton Vs F150 Super Crew

Having owned both of these vehicles, I thought it might be good to post
a review for those who may be considering a purchase of one or the other.

The Expedition, 5.4V8, 3.73, DVD, 3rd row seat. The F150 crew cab Lariat 5.4 3V V8, 3.73 Ls, DVD

Ride/Comfort/Handling

The Expedition and F150 both leather are very comfortable for the driver
And front passenger occupants. Both are great road trip vehicles. The Expedition's ride is better than the F150, especially on concrete surfaces
Where slabs of uneven concrete exists. The F150 tends to bounce more and feels less stable under this type of road condition.
The second and third row seats in the Expedition offer a much better ride than the F150's crew cab rear seats, but they are not bad at all.

The Expedition wins hands down in this category; it is a superb road trip vehicle.

Entertainment Systems

The optional Audiophile in the F150 wins hands down over the Expedition’s 6-disc system with terrible sounding speakers. A $300 speaker upgrade to the Expedition helped in this area.
The DVD system in the Expedition had a larger screen than the F150, so you might consider after-market for the F150 or add the additional screens to the headrest. Of course if the kids haven't been spoiled with the bigger screen, they will be happy just to have the DVD, even if the screen is a little small.

Power/Towing

The Expeditions 5.4 2v Vs the F150's 5.4 3v offers some improvement over the Expedition in both mileage and low end towing power with both getting about 16mpg highway and 13 mpg city without towing. The F150 clearly wins with a 12 mpg, towing a 5500 pound camper at 65-70 mph Vs the Expedition’s 8.9-9.6 mpg towing same camper.

The F150 excels in low end torque, but mash the throttle to the floor at 65mph on the same incline, the Expedition would gain 2 -3 mph where as the F150 drops about 1 mph. The F150 seems to handle the load with less engine stress, most of the time.

The F150 with its longer wheelbase feels much more stable when towing. Less sway, better cornering and less movement in cross winds. At times you can forget the camper is attached. The F150 is a better towing vehicle, no question about it.

Cargo

The Expedition is a great people mover, the nice 3rd row seat let the kids take friends with them camping, but that left us putting 5 bicycles inside the camper as well as a large tote with firewood. With the F150, last trip we had 5 bikes in the back of the truck, with firewood, unloading and loading was much faster than with the Expedition. Having the truck bed is a definate plus for our family, but the kids missed not being able to reach over the seat and grab the book bags or a drink.

The Expedition and F150 each have areas where they excel, in our case, the F150 fits our life style better, but at times, we miss the extra people carrying capacity the Expedition offers.

If you are going to tow anything longer than 21ft, I suggest you look hard at the F150. The long wheelbase really increases towing stability.

Old 05-11-2004, 03:56 PM
fanman2
Senior User
SprintCarCrazy.....

WOW...what a great and VERY informative post.

I looked at the Expedition last fall BEFORE I orderd my "Loaded" 2004 F-150 Supercrew Lariat 4 x 2. In my opinion, they are BOTH excellent vehicles....but EACH of them excell in DIFFERENT ways.....

Fred

Old 05-11-2004, 05:42 PM
BlkButy
Elder User
Heck I agree, both are awesome vehicles. I have the 2004 Fx4 SCrew and guess I should buy the wife the Expedition therefore I would live in the perfect world!!!!