Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-11-2004, 09:06 AM
Freshman User

Ricos Triton is starting off with a positive reputation.
DO I have to get a replacement key at the dealer

Well on my way back from my honeymoon in Mexico my keys fell out of the baggage and of course it had my 2003 F-150 key on it.

Well it has the chip in it and after finding out my dealer wanted $130 to replace it I just about fell outa my chair.

Do I have to get the key from a dealer or is there a cheaper place to get one??

PS... I live in Louisville, KY and sorry if this is not in the correct forum section..

Thanks for your input
Old 05-11-2004, 09:26 AM
Avid Winter Hater

MisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputation
The only other place it is cheaper to get the key is to search e-bay. I was able to get a key, and transmitter all shipped for 25 dollars.
Hope & A Prayer Motorsports
Old 05-11-2004, 09:31 AM
Posting Guru

kingfish51 is starting off with a positive reputation.
You can get a key other places as long as you have at least 2 keys that are already programmed. If you have only 1, you are stuck going to the dealer.
If you have 2 programmed keys already, the instructions to program new are in the owners manual.
Old 05-17-2004, 01:34 PM
Freshman User

Ricos Triton is starting off with a positive reputation.
Not really the answer I wanted but thanks for the info guys..
Old 05-17-2004, 07:56 PM
New User

10banger is starting off with a positive reputation.
OK, perfect time for my first post here. I am speaking from experience on this…. We (my wife) managed to loose BOTH sets of "chipped" keys along with the keyless remotes. I called the dealer, and like you, fell out of the chair. You CAN get new keys, regardless of how many you have on hand, through a locksmith. You must have the key code, but it is easier if you have the dummy (non-chipped) key.

In our experience, the locksmith came to our house, cut the key from the code, and then programmed both new keys (2 total) to the vehicle. The programming takes time and is the costly part. There is actually a programmed wait time between keys of about 10 minutes; it just seems like an hour when you have to be somewhere. There in NO need to go to the dealership for this, nor do you have to have an existing key for the vehicle. I can tell you it is NOT cheap. It saved me money in that my time was saved. You probably won't save money by using a mobile locksmith, but it sure was quicker than the alternative....

Best of luck
Old 05-17-2004, 11:40 PM
Posting Legend

Torque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to behold
Moved to proper forum.

With the expense of the new keys you should probably program two new keys to your new fords then put the original keys in a household safe or safe deposit box. You can get a new chip key cut and program it yourself after that.

I got rid of the chip keys altogether for my 98. I hate carrying those huge plastic beggars on my key ring.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator

Racerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to behold
Hi 10banger and welcome
You were lucky that you found a locksmith that could program your keys. It seems that most of them cant.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:40 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150

Tags
1997, 2003, 2004, dealer, dealership, escape, f150, f250, ford, key, keys, mustang, replace, replacement, transmitter, truck