Computer Chips & Tuners  

Tranny shifting rougher w/ chip

Old 05-09-2004, 03:47 PM
Brian429
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny shifting rougher w/ chip

I just finsihed installing my Diablo Sport Chip into my '03 5.4L. Everything went real smooth and the truck started fine. I took it for a test drive and after I hit the gas pretty hard I noticed that it was shifting a lot rougher with the chip in then it did stock. I've been running high octane in it for a while now, so I know thats not the problem. Does it take a little tome for the computer to adapt or what? Everyone has been bragging about how good theirs shift right from the get go.

Old 05-09-2004, 06:53 PM
wrenchman1
New User
chip. transmission

Man I had a chip in a 2000 chevy silverado (first,last) and the damn thing was junk after I removed the programer. I ran the basic program, and my transmission blew up with the thing installed. I took real good care of the truck, the 9 months I had it. I had the Hypertech tuner installed adn I punched it to run through a yellow light and it blew. I swear up and down I'll never put another chip on anything own. I have also heard of people un-installing the chips after having them on there for a while and valves start to knock, gas gets worst, transmission starts to shift rough. I know they have setting on the chips of hough firm you want your shifts to be, so you might want to check and see if you have anything installed wrong.

Old 05-09-2004, 07:30 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Brian, shifts are supposed to be harder with the chip in than without. The more throttle you give, the firmer the shift. Plus it gets rid of the torque reduction commonly experienced with Ford automatics.

wrenchman1, it sounds like you've heard misinformation about chips and how they work. Chips increase ignition timing, which means if you don't run premium you'll get spark knock (not valve rattle). Remove the chip and the timing goes back to stock, meaning 87 can be used again. There's simply no way a chip can do what you're describing. How did you determine the transmission "blew up" because of a programmer? What happened to your truck happens with vehicles all the time, chipped, programmed, or not. Just stop by an transmission shop and you'll always see at least one vehicle on the lift, even new vehicles. Punching it through lights and "real good care" seem to conflict.

Old 05-09-2004, 08:17 PM
wrenchman1
New User
shifts

yeah Shifts are supposed to be firmer, like I said. Iam not ill informed on my Chips. I worked for an Aftermarket parts place for a few years in Highschool. We got these problem all the time with the tuners and chips. The fact of the matter is, is that our vehicles are set up to last long while maintaining good performance. Something has to give. I used a Hypertech chip, and from what I've heard those are the most used and the biggest junk. Diablo, superchips I heard show better improvments. As far as you talking about me taking care of truck, I did all the desribed maintanence in the manual, even let the dealer do some. The fact the truck had 50,000 miles on it, and I puched it to make it through a yellow light, it's sad it that that messed the tranny up. I would have hate to actually do a 0-60 check since I put the chip on, hell if it blew up puching it through a yellow light was hard on the transmission. The truck had NO, NO tranny problems prior to chip, after a week with the chip on my Tranny goes sour. I had the fluid changed out by the DEALER a year before it went out. So it had proper maintanence. Sounds like the advertisers give you a good discount for backing their product. NO offense.
SORRY for the grammar, in a hurry.

Old 05-09-2004, 09:17 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
I've programmed thousands of Diablo chips. None have this type of problem. Just because your transmission "blew up" doesn't mean the Hypertech had anything to do with it. Line pressure increases of the type the Hypertech creates doesn't "blow up" transmissions. They increase clutch pack life. Your transmission didn't go because of the Hypertech, it went for some other reason. Transmissions die all the time without chips in them. Go check out TSBs if you don't think real problems exist with well maintained, non-chipped vehicles.

I've seen many people just out of high school working at many aftermarket places and I've never taken their advice. They are the same people selling Slick-50 and Tornados. I'd rather take advice from someone with experience.

Finally, there are no advertisers giving me a good discount for backing their product --- I am the one selling the products. Always consider what you're doing when you make statements like that to your host -- the result isn't always what you expect.

Old 05-09-2004, 10:38 PM
wlihntr
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wrenchman1
Man I had a chip in a 2000 chevy silverado (first,last) and the damn thing was junk after I removed the programer. I ran the basic program, and my transmission blew up with the thing installed
i think that was because of the latin term "maximus presureus right footis"
we all tend to drive with a heavier right foot when we start doing the mods

Old 05-12-2004, 05:30 PM
fordbigdonkey
New User
Well, i put a chip in my 2001 4.0 4x4 ranger edge with 4.10 gears and the tranny went out 3 weeks later after it was about 6 weeks old. Now that i have sold it i would never recommend a chip. I hardly think there is a coinsidence there...I will never use another chip or programmer as well. Sorry if that ruins any kind of sales quota

Old 05-12-2004, 06:23 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
You come to the site, make three posts, the last of which zeros in on this post, and make the same crass remark, insulting the owner of this site (me). Highly suspect.

Old 05-13-2004, 09:22 PM
Brian429
Senior User
Now an annoying sound!

Now everytime the tranny shifts with the chip, I get this real real high pitched squeak, right as it shifts from one gear to the next. Its so loud that people are looking walking down the street... It doesn't do it when I switch the chip off and run it. It's to the point where I either have to wear ear plugs or drive with the windows up. HELP!

Old 05-13-2004, 09:35 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
The "fan belt" is lose. Check out some of the other threads in this section where this is described and people have corrected it either by adjustment or installation of Gatorback belts. We can reduce the shift pressure if you prefer.

Old 05-14-2004, 09:57 AM
wezard
Freshman User
Wrench man talks about chips and tuners as if they were the same thing, makes me wonder.
I've noticed this in a few other threads, also noticed that most people bad mouthing chips don't specify which chip. Some are better than others. ( Started to say something else, but decided to be nice).

Old 05-14-2004, 01:35 PM
wrenchman2
New User
chips

No, I know the difference in chips and tuners. I was just sharing an experience it seems someone else had that problem also, "forbigdonkey" said he experienced it. By the way webmaster that wasn't me with the post. I was just telling Brian what happened to my truck, tuner or no tuner. I just like trucks like anybody else, I have been around HI-PO stuff since high school, I am a graduate of a automotive tech school, just thought I would share the guy some info I thought he might want to hear.

Last edited by wrenchman2; 05-14-2004 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-14-2004, 05:20 PM
92GT5ohRed
Senior User
I would like to address Brian 429 who actually asked an intelligent question. It seems that most of the replies are flaming chips and tuners and none seem to make all that much real world sense.

I too have an 03' F250SD with the 5.4. Pre-chip it was mushy and unresponsive. The shift points were low and soft. With any load it took forever to shift and felt like it was always slipping some, basically it never felt "engaged" like a stick shift in gear if that makes any sense. After the chip, it is totally different. Basically opposite of pre-chip. It holds each gear, feels firm and engaged all the time, if I am accelerating it shift quickly and positively. It does feel stronger (i.e. hp gain) but overall the drivability has been vastly improved.

Drive it soft (easy) and it will shift easy and soft, maybe a bit more "positive" but still soft. Let it rev to 3000-3200 and it will be much more firm. These are all very good qualities from the viewpoint of the transmission and clutches. Firm = engaged, soft = slipping.

Everyone has good and bad experiences. Having a bad experience does not mean everyone does. Statistically it is just not fair to the masses. If you get a cold burger at Burger King one time you would be telling all your friends that BK sells cold food. It just is not accurate.

Summary = I love my chip, and so do all my friends. Drive it and enjoy it....

Old 05-14-2004, 06:43 PM
openclasspro
Senior User
belt

Originally Posted by webmaster
The "fan belt" is lose. Check out some of the other threads in this section where this is described and people have corrected it either by adjustment or installation of Gatorback belts. We can reduce the shift pressure if you prefer.
1- get line pressure lowered or
2- get a goddyear gatorback belt- ity bites better-[ure belt is not loose]

Old 05-15-2004, 09:48 AM
wrenchman2
New User
who has the best chip

guys I'm wanting to put a chip in,that's why I cam here to this forum. I am a little cautious becuase of what happend to the silverado. ANYWAY, I want to put one in MY 2000 f-150,5.4, intake and exhaust. Which chip is better. I haven't heard anybody talk to hot about hypertech. I know Diablo is coming out with a new one for my truck. I am kindof having to hate put $2.10 premium gasoline in the truck for the chip. I just want to gain some ponies, I probably won't turn the chip up all the way. I don't tow much, just alot of around town driving.

Last edited by wrenchman2; 05-15-2004 at 09:50 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tranny shifting rougher w/ chip