Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

7.3 IDI fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 11:19 AM
Ray Vaughn
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well- I went back to the truck and first thing I did was try to it to start - without doing anything.... only to find out that now the ignition/starter relay wasn't working.
Bypassed it to try a couple of time - and found fuel is definitely getting past the filter. Also, now, I have lots of white smoke (which wasn't there before)

So while sitting doing nothing for early 48hrs -the relay went and now I'm getting white smoke -- still won't actually fire.

trying to get a new relay in to keep seeing if any answers become obvious -- but that's not working great as it stand.

this really just gets more bizarre as thing change for no quantifiable reason

Old 06-15-2014, 12:37 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,102 Likes on 2,164 Posts
lots of white smoke sounds like no glow plugs. which would happen if you are jumping the solenoid

Old 06-16-2014, 10:47 AM
Ray Vaughn
Freshman User
Yeah - I'm going to check them out today. I'm hoping that is the issue that caused all of this. A nice simple fix if it is...but the cynic in me doesn't believe it

Old 06-17-2014, 09:43 AM
Ray Vaughn
Freshman User
so I'm assuming to test the glow plugs resistance the ignition relay must be working and 'open' - because I got no reading on any of them. Simply no reaction from the meter at all... sigh

Old 06-17-2014, 03:52 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
to test resistance of glow plugs you need to disconnect them and test from tip of plug to ground.
but even that is not fool proof. i have seen plugs resistance test good but not light up when power is applied.
when you go key on, do you get power to the glow plug tips?

Old 06-24-2014, 02:11 PM
Ray Vaughn
Freshman User
changed relay put in new plugs - hard first start then fine. later I started her up a bit of hesitation but started -drove 5 min / stop for 2. strats fine - did that again - fine.
Sits in drive way two days - starts hard but goes then NEW SYMPTOM - 4-5 times over a 45min drive at eighty, the speed stays same but rpm jumps from steady 1.5 to 2 --without speed change or noticeable tranny/gear issue.
Then after an hour drive total, parked for 25 min (hot day in sun) and same as before ---won't turn over as though not getting gas. (don't know a bout smoke color I'm not there wife is reporting) Fuel filter light was on - she drained some of the filter , light went out but still won't turn over.
Making no sence. Okay - then not. Change fuel filter- okay then not. Change glow plugs = okay then not. It just doesn't add up or make any sense ... may just have to throw hands in air and bring it to someone...can't afford to be off the road like this (or risk getting stuck far away again) any longer

Old 06-24-2014, 02:31 PM
polarbear87
Junior User
Originally Posted by Ray Vaughn
changed relay put in new plugs - hard first start then fine. later I started her up a bit of hesitation but started -drove 5 min / stop for 2. strats fine - did that again - fine.
Sits in drive way two days - starts hard but goes then NEW SYMPTOM - 4-5 times over a 45min drive at eighty, the speed stays same but rpm jumps from steady 1.5 to 2 --without speed change or noticeable tranny/gear issue.
Then after an hour drive total, parked for 25 min (hot day in sun) and same as before ---won't turn over as though not getting gas. (don't know a bout smoke color I'm not there wife is reporting) Fuel filter light was on - she drained some of the filter , light went out but still won't turn over.
Making no sence. Okay - then not. Change fuel filter- okay then not. Change glow plugs = okay then not. It just doesn't add up or make any sense ... may just have to throw hands in air and bring it to someone...can't afford to be off the road like this (or risk getting stuck far away again) any longer
On mine i also had a small leak at the well known leaky fuel bowl water skrew so i had to use some hi heat rtv sealant so the fuel wont drip out of the fuel filter and mess it up, do you have a plastic/rubbet cap on the shreader valve, if not take one off some of your old tires or something and screw it on to the valve so its air tight, it is usally 3 things that goes wrong with theese trucks, 1. Is bad fuel/ gelling 2. Is air in the lines or filter dripping empty and letting air inside or 3 glowplugs or controller / batteries/starter/bad wiring harness due to corrotion

Old 06-24-2014, 02:46 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Originally Posted by Ray Vaughn

ok, here is something else to try. when it will not start hot after driving for a while, pour cool, not cold water over the injector pump. if it starts up after this, the injector pump is bad.