1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Gas Smell continued

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 04:26 PM
cheinz46
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas Smell continued

I may have found a solution for gas seeping through the gasket at the fuel sending unit. I found a "gas resistant" sealant at CarQuest. The name is "Gasket Sealant 2", stock number CCM 26889. I made a new gasket from an old inner tube. I used the old gasket as a template. I applied the sealant to all surfaces (tank, sending unit and both sides of the rubber gasket), as the directions stated. I let the sealant get tacky and installed the sending unit. I also used the sealant between the sending unit and the gasket at the wire terminal. That was last night. Today I filled the tank with gas (I had to sell my Hank Aaron rookie card to get the money) and went for a drive. I did not have a fuel leak at the tank! The combination of rubber gasket and fuel resistant sealant has worked for only one day and may break down after time. If it does break down I'll let you know.

Old 05-08-2004, 05:22 PM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
When mine goes back together, I'll remember this. Thanks for the info, -4speed

Old 05-08-2004, 11:19 PM
55forder
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used gasket sealer with mine as well. I drove my truck for almost a year with no gas fumes, and when I took out the stock tank, she was still in good shape.

55forder

Old 05-10-2004, 10:30 AM
SteV8e
Elder User
Sounds like a simple solution, though I have never had a problem with the cork gasket leaking, and I've had the sender out of the tank a time or two. Fumes are sometimes mentioned as a reason for relocating the tank from the cab, but it seems that sealing the gasket is a far simpler solution.