Bronco II Ford Bronco II

Looking at a Bronco II

Old 05-07-2004, 06:26 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looking at a Bronco II

I'm concidering purchasing a Bronco II. This guy down my road has a Bronco II that I haven't seen moved EVER since we've been building the house...and before that when I started noticing it.

My question is what should I look for in the vehicle? The paint on it shows decent aging, but the rim's don't have a spot of rust or anything - tires look ok but of stock size. I don't know much about the Bronco II...so..I have to ask.

I want to make this a 4-wheeling vehicle too...nice short wheel base...is that good or should I look more to making it into a 'pretty' truck and look for something else to 4-wheel in?

Also, is it based off the ranger? Is that how it gets it's shorter wheelbase?

So they feature the 2.3, 3.0, 4.0 OHV, and 4.0 SOHC? Transmissions...A4LD and M5OD? Rear end is a 7.5? I just want to know - the tech article posted by the mod seemed to indicate all ranger stuff...

Old 05-07-2004, 07:01 PM
fordborn
Post Fiend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well first question, what year is it? Before 85 will have a 2.8 NA engine and 86 to 89 will have a 2.9 fi in it. After 90 you it should have the 4.0. The automatics were fairly light and took away a lot of power but still made a nice vehicle. A standard trans will give you more get up and go and get better fuel milage. Four 4-wheeling they are a lot of fun and can go places a bigger vehicle can't because of the size. Simple to put a 302 in them and really have some fun. I have had 5 of them and have had a blast with every one. I have used them for everything from daily drive, 4-wheeling, mudding and the first one was used for cyote hunting. Depending again on the year you should be able to pick it up for fairly cheap price too. A couple things to look for are oil around the front cover or around the front seal and check the CV joints for wear. Open the back hatch and check around the sealing area for rust. Drive it and make sure the four wheel drive works (check low also) and that the hubs lock solid and don't slip. Other than that unless it is way high priced you really can't do to bad, there are plenty of parts and fix up items. And you can get power out of the motors. 4.0 is best but I have gotten 285 hp from a 2.8 with a little work.

Old 05-07-2004, 07:18 PM
_rich_
Senior User
90 was the last year they were made. A 2.8 or 2.9 is all you will find in a stock B2. They were/are prone to overheating and head cracking, so check out the cooling system.

Old 05-07-2004, 07:19 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
I haven't gone to talk to the people yet.

How do I check the CV joints for wear? I thought that CV joints were only in Independant suspension.....

Is it possible to drop a 300 in the engine bay, or will that involve too much work? I've fallen in love with my 300 as it is....

What manuals are run in these? M5OD the only manual allowed in this thing? What is the name of the automatic used in it?

Old 05-07-2004, 07:26 PM
fordborn
Post Fiend

A 300 because of the length would be a difficult installation. Most autos I have scene are the c-5 which can be upgraded to a c-4. There was another auto used but cannot think of the name right now. There were 2 manuals used that I know of. The manuals will take extra HP if you drop in a bigger motor but the autos will not unless you have the c-5 and upgrade it to a c-4.

Old 05-07-2004, 07:28 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
Those are wimpy engines...I'd honestly have to immediately go out and find a 5.0HO or something to throw in. What about a 351W?It's just a bit taller, isn't it? Otherwise, shouldn't it have room too?

What's involved in the engine swap? I mean...everything...

Old 05-07-2004, 07:31 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
I thought the C-4 was a 3-speed automatic transmission

Were the manuals the T18/T19 Borg/Warner transmission and the M5OD? I've loved my M5OD so..=P.

The other auto...AOD? A4LD? C6? E4OD? AODE?

Old 05-07-2004, 07:51 PM
fordborn
Post Fiend

With a small lift a 351 would fit .

Old 05-08-2004, 12:47 AM
plilikoi
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
American graffiti?

Are you planning to relive the race scene in American Graffiti? The stock 2.9L engine provides adequate power on the highway and I 4WD in my BII. It's got plenty of torque in low range.

It did have a bit more pep when it was younger, but didn't we all?

Old 05-08-2004, 03:02 AM
Big Black & BallsOut
New User
My Friend Has a 89 Bronco II, I hate the thing, so does he and everyone else. The only reason he has it is because he wrecked his 98 ranger with the 4.0. These bronco II's are probablly the worst vehicle besides the pinto that Ford has put out. Their underpowered, Wheel like crap, they roll to easily and they look like something a Nerd would drive.

Old 05-08-2004, 09:39 AM
_rich_
Senior User
Originally Posted by Big Black & BallsOut
My Friend Has a 89 Bronco II, I hate the thing, so does he and everyone else. The only reason he has it is because he wrecked his 98 ranger with the 4.0. These bronco II's are probablly the worst vehicle besides the pinto that Ford has put out. Their underpowered, Wheel like crap, they roll to easily and they look like something a Nerd would drive.
So you spend your spare time reading about them? Nice try.

Old 05-08-2004, 11:13 AM
Saurian
Posting Guru
I happen to think that they look awesome - and the tipping part, he must be a stupid driver then.

I had a Vulcan V6 in my Taurus..and it was not a mover one bit. She ran an 8.9 0-60 once but that was the best that a 3.0 could manage - let alone a 2.9 that is based off an antique 2.8. I've also gathered that the 2.9 isn't the most reliable engine..I'd feel much better about having a 302 or something in it. Hell, even my Taurus's 3.0 would be nice - I know I can abuse that thing and it will never stop - just the Tranny will.

What about one of the Short Block six cylinders? Would one of those be able to find itself into the engine bay - or is the 302 as good as I can hope for?

I started out on a 3.0 Vulcan, then moved now to a 300 Six - I don't want to downgrade to a little V6 again.

What all engines can I mount up without having to mess with different bell housings and all that? Maybe I could live with a 3.8/4.2 Essex-based V6...if it would bolt up easy enough. Build one of those up a bit.

Old 05-08-2004, 11:29 AM
_rich_
Senior User
The OHV 4.0L from a Ranger or Explorer is from the same family as the 2.8 and 2.9, and will bolt in with minimal adjustments - but you need to do some wiring work to make everything match up. The 3.0L is entirely different. The 2.9 isn't a race engine, and a B2 isn't a performance vehicle. But the 2.9 does a whole lot better with a manual than they do with the A4LD that came in so many of them.

As far as reliability, the 2.9 is hard to beat - IF you take care of it and don't overheat it. Mine has over 200k, doesn't use any oil, still gets 22 mpg (combined hwy/city). A number of guys over at 'the ranger station' are past 300k on their stock 2.9s.

But I have to admit.... I sure wish I had a little more power. The 2.9L doesn't do so well when you're driving up a hill and trying to maintain the speed limit of 75mph. Or you're on a 2-lane with a 65 mph speed limit and want to pass the guy who's doing 55 up the hill. I guess it doesn't help that mine rarely gets below about 5000 ft elevation, and weekend playtime is anywhere between 8000 and 12500.

The 4.0L is the easiest swap that I'm aware of. The 302 is more work, but is still relatively common. I've read about a couple of 351s, but those are pretty unusual.

Old 05-08-2004, 11:52 AM
plilikoi
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Longevity

I've almost reached 164,000 miles on my BII. Fuel consumption has picked up some, and peformance has dropped some, since she was new but she still does pretty well on and off highway. She's never left me stranded and handles well in abrupt turns. I've made two life-saving swerves in her and she's never come close to tipping over. I've been really happy with this truck.

Old 05-08-2004, 02:35 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
When I drove by today I took it nice and slow - it looks like its in good shape exteriorwise - its just got the usual rust and paint fade of an aging vehicle.

How hard is it to get more out of the 2.9? How much work and money would it take to get the torque up over 200 lb/ft? Horsepower - I've never had over 150 so I don't mind not having that but my 300 has me loving gobs of torque.

So basically the Bronco II is a Ranger-turned-SUV? Ranger chassis, drivetrains (minus 2.3), etc with a SUV body?

Are parts (Lift, suspension, etc) too bad for these?

Search this Thread