General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

A Sand Crane out my window

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 04:41 PM
King Triton
Postmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Sand Crane out my window

This is so cool I figured I had to tell you fellow bird lovers about it.About 15 feet away from my bedroom window,I have a pond that is getting overrun with cattails and tall reed type grass.As I am sitting here with the window open,all of a sudden I hear a strange noise that sounds like it is right under the window.So I ever so slowly lean over and look out,and here is a beautiful sand crane on the edge not 15ft from me.So I have been watching him/her? for about two hours and I think it is making a nest.Every so often it lets out this call.It is hard to describe but it sounds like hoot da hoot,hoot da hoot.I have a mic for this computer and am trying to figure out how I can capture this sound so you can hear it too.It is soooo cool!If you have any ideas how I can do this let me know.

Old 05-07-2004, 08:52 PM
5_labsownus
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 1,522 Likes on 1,420 Posts
My wifw and I were in Florida last month and walked the levy around part of lake Okeechobee and had the good luck to see a pair of sand cranes with 2 babies (about 1-2 months old). We walked the same direction several times and always wouls see them and took lots of photos. They would let me get within 15-20 feet and take the pics. Yes they have a call that is hard to describe!

Old 05-07-2004, 08:57 PM
superspike
Senior User
Magnificent animals..
Sandhill cranes migrate through my area. A town south of where I live hosts the "Sandhill Crane Festival" every year..
I sometimes see white egrets as well.

Old 05-07-2004, 10:05 PM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You are lucky to seem them when they are only a pair. Most farmers detest them when the land in the hundreds/thousands on their fields. They also don't taste very good in my experience.

Enjoy the view. That tall reed grass can take over a pond. Looks pretty for a while then it becomes too much.

Old 05-07-2004, 10:49 PM
66 Ranger
Elder User
I agree with Ultramgdan, I hate them. They migrate through here in the fall sometimes stay all winter. MILLIONS of them. They can wipe out a wheat field in a hurry although they seem to prefer corn fields after harvest. They are not fit for consumption by humans and are mostly a pest. I can see how people who aren't adversly affected by them think they are cool but I do all I can to 'convince' them to move on. How? "I'm through talking now" -Forrest Gump