Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Aerostar
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Aerostar Ford Aerostar

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-07-2004, 10:33 AM
Senior User

johncfox is starting off with a positive reputation.
5 speed Aerostar, Rare?

This morning I went to 3 salvage yards and so far I have not found a single Aerostar with a 5 speed standard tranny. I looked through a total of 20 or so. The man who was working the yard said that Ford only produced about 1000 with the 5 speed and that they were extremely rare. He also said that if I found one, it would be really expensive. I want to convert mine as I am tired of the A4ld and all of its associated probs. Does anyone know of a salvage yard in the North Alabama area that has one? Any and all leads or info will be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:57 AM
Senior User

BarryFS is starting off with a positive reputation.
Would a Ranger shifter work? There are lots of them in the yards.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:06 AM
Senior User

The tranny that I am looking for is actually a Mazda / Toyo Kogyo M5R1. Yes it is the same as the one from the ranger but I am concerned about the floor pedals and linkage not matching up. Do you happen to know if the Aerostar and the Ranger used the same floor pedal setup?
Old 05-07-2004, 11:52 AM
Elder User

reever is starting off with a positive reputation.
Jfox... you might try asking in the Ranger forum...Those guys seem to know all about their trucks and tranny conversions... Also try the 3.0 engine forum. The moderator(Rockledge) is very knowledgable about such things

-reever
Old 05-07-2004, 12:16 PM
Senior User

thanks, will do
Old 05-07-2004, 03:57 PM
Senior User

jkorreck is starting off with a positive reputation.
looked into doing this to my aerostar I found out that you will need:
the manual trans from a ranger, all the shift rails and gates, the shifter it's self, a new flywheel, the hydraulic clutch lines and cylinders the pedal for the clutch (figured I'd just fab my own mount) and a new drive shaft, not sure if the one for the manual is longer or shorter but they are different part #s All the parts I looked up for my 92 had the same part # on a 92 ranger. Easiest way to do it might be to find a parts ranger that has a manual and to buy the whole truck.
Old 05-07-2004, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

Racerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to behold
And to think that a couple months ago I was offered an Aerostar with a 3.0L and 5 speed for free and I turned it down
lol
Old 05-08-2004, 03:33 PM
Postmaster

xlt4wd90 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The Mazda M5r1 5 speed manual was never installed behind a 4 liter v6 from the factory because it can not handle the torque of that engine. The A4LD is a stronger transimission, even with all its problems. If you have a 4 liter engine, I would not be making this swap unless I can find some way of strengthening the internals of the 5 speed. I don't know if there are any aftermarket heavier duty parts available for it, as there are for the Borg Warner T5.
Old 05-08-2004, 11:08 PM
Senior User

The M5R1 was actually installed in 4.0s from the factory. Just not Aerostars. I believe that the reason for the lack in the aerostar was because most 5 speeds were sold in cargo vans and due to gas mileage and the fact that most cargo vans only carry light loads they didnt see the need to make a 4.0 cargo van with a 5 speed. Rangers,bronco IIs and explorers did come with the 4.0 and 5 speed M5R1. Check out this link and the application guide and the parts descriptions. http://www.drivetrain.com/mazdaM5R1.html The 4.0 trannys used heavier duty parts, which I will be putting in my 3.0s tranny.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:26 AM
Postmaster

xlt4wd90 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
That's interesting. One of my friends bought a 1991 Explorer, and at the time, he could not get the 5 speed with the 4 liter engine. The reason provided by the dealer, and seemed to be collaborated by the auto rags at the time was that the transmission was not strong enough for the greater torque of the 4 liter engine. Perhaps the same story was started by Ford.

If there was a a 5 speed behind a 4 liter engine in a 4wd vehicle, I would certainly like to find one to replace the slushbox in my van.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:26 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Aerostar

Tags
5speed, aerostar, build, speed