Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

7.3 to 7.3 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 11:39 PM
Hubble
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7.3 to 7.3 turbo

My new pet project is adding a factory turbo to my 94 7.3 diesel. I've gotten the turbo, injection pump, injectors, exhaust pieces and whatnot, but my question is about the fuel return lines on the injectors themselves.

I've been told that the only difference betweeen the return lines on a 7.3 and a 7.3 turbo diesel are the rerouting of the return lines between three caps on the injectors. If anyone's got any idea on what three injectors the return lines are changed on I would appreciate it.

Ford has been no help on this and I can't seem to find a diesel manual that will give a breakdown on the factory 7.3 turbo diesel.

Old 05-08-2004, 10:31 AM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I have a reman 7.3 turbo diesel that has the ATS turbo on it ( 3" exhaust downpipe). My fuel return lines are exactly like they were on the non turbo engine. For what it is worth I would change all the glow plugs before installing the turbo. They are a real pain to get at once the turbo is installed.

Old 05-08-2004, 12:16 PM
Spectramac
Posting Guru
You just need to get the fuel lines out from under the turbo. This is done by removing the crossover line in the rear and replacing the pass side rear plastic cap with a one nipple "dead end" cap. Put a T fitting in the return line that goes up to the filter. Then run a new piece of return line from the T, down behind the inj pump and under the intake until it comes out in the back. Hook it up to the original return pipe nipple back there. I think that's how they did it, it's been close to a year since I put a kit on.

Old 05-13-2004, 08:09 PM
Hubble
New User
sorry I didn't get to check back sooner, but thanks for the reply about the return lines

Old 05-13-2004, 09:44 PM
dasher
New User
I have a 89 F-350 with the ATS non-wastegated turbo (Garret) the same one the Ford uses. I have the stock by-pass routing, no changes.

Joe D

Old 05-15-2004, 09:12 AM
royzell
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone have a link or other 'schematic' info as to how the turbo hooks up ? I am looking at putting one on my '88 7.3 F-250, and it sure looks crowded in there already !

Old 05-15-2004, 01:35 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
When I decieded to put a 7.3 turbo upgrade in my 86 I installed a 2" body lift to make room for the 3" downpipe. It sure did make the installation easy. The only thing I had to adjust was the 4x4 selector lever. It was still in 4x4 high with the lever all the way forward.

I wish I had taken pictures of mine while it was out of the truck, it is kinda hard to see how everything goes in the truck.