Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-02-2004, 11:52 PM
Elder User

v8xploder is starting off with a positive reputation.
oil pressure sending unit

Im going to install a few autometer gauges in my 2000 F-150 4.6. i was curious about where the oil pressure sending unit is. i know its supposed to be on the drivers side of the engine toward the pullys. I got under and looked for a bit and couldnt find it. is it somewhere else was i misinformed? also i hear about people installing a "t" fitting so that the factory light would still work. any info on how to wire this and what they mean by t fitting. is it something you buy or is it just a t junction in the wiring? thanks for any help
Old 05-03-2004, 06:57 AM
Junior User

stantojl is starting off with a positive reputation.
On my 97 4.6 It is on the bottom of the oil filter housing. If you pull the oil filter off you should see it. Not sure about "t" fitting but that is a good idea.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:05 AM
Freshman User

kbkid is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thats excactly where mine is on my 01 screw, I just changed it last weekend. Make sure you remove the oil filter first.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:31 AM
Posting Guru

MrBSS is starting off with a positive reputation.
If yours is like mine, the oil filter casting has an additional port with a pipe plug in it. This is apparently for use on other models or for mechanical oil pressure testing. I found it easier to use that instead of messing with the factory sensor.

All these fittings are usually regular 1/8" pipe threads. You can buy fittings at Home Depot.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:10 PM
Senior User

Fordtech1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I agree with MrBSS, it would be easier if you can install the guage without messing with a tee. The T fitting is a two port fitting allowing two senders to read from the same outlet, screwed into the oil passage and having two places to install items, one, the original sender and two, the new one, leaving the factory unit to continue to function.
Old 05-11-2004, 03:13 PM
Elder User

v8xploder is starting off with a positive reputation.
so there is a 'port" on the factory oil filter casting, that i can screw my automeeter sending unit into? with out touching the factory sending unit?
Old 05-11-2004, 03:32 PM
Junior User

stantojl is starting off with a positive reputation.
On my 97 4x4 4.6 the extra port is on the bottom of the housing. I believe it can be used to bleed air. On my truck the port is almost impossible to get to. There is about a half inch of clearence between it and the front pumpkin. Not sure about the size, probably quarter inch pipe threads.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:51 AM
Posting Guru

94F150-408 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Using a iron tee is a real simple procedure and it will let you use both gauges. Just use a 1/8"( I believe this is the size, bring your sender with you or measure it before you leave) pipe thread tee and screw it into the block where your existing sender is and then screw the two sensors into the other two ends of the tee. Dont forget to use a sealer on the threads. You can use bras or stainless also but you probably will have to use some sort of dielectric paste to keep from having some electrolosis action happen.

Last edited by 94F150-408; 05-24-2004 at 12:55 AM.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:51 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150