2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tailgate test - vibration

Old 05-02-2004, 08:26 PM
gccch
Mountain Pass
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
tailgate test - vibration

Hi all.

I'm a new owner of a 4x2 lariat (one week). I read many of the posts prior to ordering, but felt this was still the vehicle for me. I'm of course still very interested in how this vibration saga continues. There are many threads, which I am still getting through. I hate to begin another, but...

I have not found much discussion on this tailgate drop thenetguy brought up. I checked a few trucks at the dealer and my own, and all continue to vibrate until the energy is disipated. It's interesting how energy passes through this vehicle and wondering if this is the basic characteristic that results in complaints from all the potential sources of energy that can be accentuated like the dropping of the gate, hitting bumps, unbalanced tires, etc.

Is there anyone out there that thinks their truck does not shake more than expected when dropping the tailgate?

Old 05-02-2004, 08:48 PM
ExBMWTurnFx4SCrew
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A no-brainer! I hope no one out there thinks that their tailgate doesn’t shake more when dropping their tailgate. Anyone out there beg to differ?

Old 05-02-2004, 08:57 PM
Den01
Freshman User
I did that test awhile back, I then did it on a 2000 XLT supercab. Same thing. I then tried the same test on a couple of chevy's. They also did the bed shake. I do not feel this is the cause of any of the vibs that have been talked about.
I have 7000 miles on my truck and it is doing great.

Old 05-02-2004, 09:20 PM
flya750
Freshman User
I have a Screw FX4 that had some service work that eliminated a vibration at highway speeds of 70 or higher. (Mostly tires balanced and drive shaft TSB) But I still have the now infamous virbation at speeds from 40-60 mph. I asked some new passengers a blind question if they felt a vibration in their seats at certain speeds and they said yes. I rode in the passenger seat coming home the other night and I could feel the vibration begin as we dropped in speeds to around 50 mph.

I wonder if this vibration is a result of the stiff frame design? Some resonation of road conditions to the whole truck? I will confess, I'm no engineer ??

How about we start a thread that can be used to simply document the number of owners who are experiencing the vibration? Those with the vibration can post all their data, TSB's applied, date of build etc...

What do ya think?

I know I'm in tired of this vibration problem taking away form the enjoyment of buying this new truck, but I think we need to get to the bottom of it some how, some way.

Old 05-02-2004, 09:28 PM
acarlisletx
Junior User
I agree with needing a fix. I've posted here and at f150online several times what has been done to my truck up to this point. Many others have had the same things done without getting the problem resolved. Ford has made an attempt but up to this point the majority of those with the vibration problem have yet to see it fixed. I only know of 1 guy who had his truck bought back. Ford won't authorize any more work on mine so I'm filing under the Texas Lemon Law.

Old 05-02-2004, 09:49 PM
b2_tim
Senior User
A buckboard it is not

A buckboard is a rough ride, had to be because of the materials available at the time. Basically no suspension. Well our trucks have a suspension, that is designed for multiple tasks on multiple surfaces. They also have a lot of suspension travel. If you drive them over smooth roads, you are only using a small portion of the suspension travel, and you are using the most compliant portion too. Thus as gccch said, you will feel a lot of rebound for the small energy inputs into the system. Take it off road and you will see that instead of busting your kidneys, or rigning your head on the headliner, you get a compliant ride. These vehicles are a compromise. I wheel a pretty stiff Bronco II off road several times a month, and I can tell you I wish it had softer springs, but also I can tell you there is zero rebound in it. I have to wear a seat belt our I would deposit my teeth into the steering wheel. I hope Ford keeps building trucks, there are enought pavement queens out there already. Not saying there are not issues with some of the F150's, mine has been fine, not perfrect, but it is a truck, I accept the compromise.
Tim

Old 05-02-2004, 11:26 PM
Toreador
Elder User
Originally Posted by flya750
I have a Screw FX4 that had some service work that eliminated a vibration at highway speeds of 70 or higher. (Mostly tires balanced and drive shaft TSB) But I still have the now infamous virbation at speeds from 40-60 mph. I asked some new passengers a blind question if they felt a vibration in their seats at certain speeds and they said yes. I rode in the passenger seat coming home the other night and I could feel the vibration begin as we dropped in speeds to around 50 mph.

I wonder if this vibration is a result of the stiff frame design? Some resonation of road conditions to the whole truck? I will confess, I'm no engineer ??

How about we start a thread that can be used to simply document the number of owners who are experiencing the vibration? Those with the vibration can post all their data, TSB's applied, date of build etc...

What do ya think?

I know I'm in tired of this vibration problem taking away form the enjoyment of buying this new truck, but I think we need to get to the bottom of it some how, some way.
Actually I think that is a GREAT idea, Flya. Someone with the vibe problem should be the one to start the thread. I recommend it be titled "Vibration problem documentation." In it each person with vibe problems can briefly describe their problems (ie speed, steering wheel shake, etc) and give details about their truck such as model, engine, tires, etc. At that point, if you have enough responses, the people with Vibration problems can print out the list and take it in to their dealership. Or it can be mailed out to Ford. Let's see if anyone steps up to the plate (Cruelcrew out there anywhere?).