Motorcraft Oil Filter Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 11:10 AM
wildcard30
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Motorcraft Oil Filter Problems

Hi All,

Here's some info on a problem I've had with Motorcraft Oil Filters in both my '94 Flarside and my 2001 Focus.

I changed the oil in the Focus last week using a FL 400S Motorcraft filter and Motorcraft oil, the week before I had changed the filter (FL 1A) and oil in the Flareside.

The second day after the change (on the Focus), on the first start up of the day, my valve train rattled like it had no oil. This happened for only a second and did not do it for the rest of the day. Started it up the next morning, same thing, it rattled for a second.

Today it did it on EVERY start up.

So I parked it, jumped into my Flarside and it did the same thing. I had changed the oil and filter on the truck 2 weeks before.

Neither one had done this before. The only thing they had in common was the oil and filter change.

I went to Walmart to get new filters (motorcraft) and found they have stopped selling them in my area. I picked up 2 Frams. I changed the filters in both and no longer have the "rattle" problem on start up.

I checked the Motorcraft filters and found that the anti-drain back valves (silicone diaphram) were leaking. A slow leak on the Flareside and a fast leak on the Focus.

Since the Focus filter is a horizontal mount, and the filter would not hold oil after the engine was off, the engine would have to fill the filter every time it was started. That caused the rattle.

Same for the Flarside, but not as bad.

I know most people in on this board "Dis" Fram and speak highly of Motorcraft. But, after this experience with the Motorcraft filters I will not use them again.

So if your using a motorcraft filter and have "rattle" at start up, check your filter. You just may be having the same problem I had.

Wildcard30

Last edited by wildcard30; 04-30-2004 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:44 AM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's interesting. With all the -excrement- that we give Fram, you'd think it would have made it worse. Maybe you got lucky with that particualr Fram filter, and were unlucky with the Motorcraft. I use Napa Gold on mine; they seem to work good. No startup noise anyway.

-insert conspiracy theory-

Ford makes Motorcraft stuff, right? Well, who wants you to buy a new car? Ford perhapse? Right or wrong, this is why I avoid Motorcraft stuff.

-end conspiracy theroy-

Old 04-30-2004, 12:00 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I plead ignorance...
how do you check the anti-drain back valve with the filter(s) off the engine?
Is there a good/valid way to test the valves off the engine?

Something just seems strange.......

Rusty,
Ford trucks come with Motorcraft components OEM. I doubt they risk substantial waranty issues by equipping them with "fault built in components".

After all the good I have heard about Motorcraft filters, and 124,000 miles of stellar performance on my truck, I'm comfortable with them.
But (like 3K changes ) to each his own.

Old 04-30-2004, 12:17 PM
Van/TX
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't even remember how many vehicles I've had but I've always changed the oil and filter myself. The last several decades I've used Frams filters. Several hundred thousand start-ups later I'm still listening for that first rattle. Maybe next time ....Van

Old 04-30-2004, 02:01 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I dunno, I have a hard time swallowing this thread, seems to me that there may be some missing info.....like not enough oil in the pan, or filter not on properly, etc.

To each, his own I guess.

my .02

Old 04-30-2004, 03:48 PM
BlueRanger94
Senior User
There is a chance that there was a run of filters that all have a defective part. The FL400s is the same as the FL1 only smaller. Only serves to prove that things can go wrong with even the most trusted brands.

Old 04-30-2004, 04:52 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BrianA
Something just seems strange.......
Either that, or Wildcard30 works for Fram.

I'll stick with my conspiracy theory. I admit that it does sound rediculous on the surface, but if they let by, maybe .5% bad filters, who would notice? Nobody would until their engine gave up, at like 200,000 miles. At that time, they'd just chalk it up to old age and go buy another ford. Exactly what Ford wants. Somebody sends off for a UOA, the chances are 99.5% that it is going to come back great. Not many people do UOA's, so they get by with it. But in their defense, no filter manufacturer is going to make 100% good filters, no matter how great their quality control is. Could have just been a fluke.

Old 04-30-2004, 06:13 PM
Delta
Senior User
Eitheir a fluke or FUD!

Old 04-30-2004, 06:23 PM
wildcard30
Posting Guru
Nope, don't think I missed anything.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by superrangerman2002
I dunno, I have a hard time swallowing this thread, seems to me that there may be some missing info.....like not enough oil in the pan, or filter not on properly, etc.

To each, his own I guess.

my .02

Sorry, no missing info. I checked the oil level before changing the filters and it was higher than normal. I have been installing filters on my cars and trucks for over 30 years. I do 99% of the maintence to all of my vehicles, that includes cars, trucks, HD, Ducati and Aprilia motorcycles.

As for checking the anti-drain back valve, fill the filter full and plug the center threaded hole, turn the filter on its side and see if it leaks for the outside holes where you see the orange diaphram.

What's so hard to believe? I have used OEM parts on all my Fords since day one.

The Focus and Flareside got Motorcraft oil and filters. The Harleys, Ducks and the Aprilia get OEM filters also. Although, I will admit that I use Amsoil in the cycles. According to the research it's better than OEM.

So it would appear I got a couple of bad filters. The point is I don't trust them at the moment. They are also not available to me without a side trip to somewhere that sells them.

As for the Fram issue, I have friends that use nothing but Frams on the cars and trucks and have never had a problem. One guy has a '57 T-Bird, owned since new, it has over 200,000 miles on it with Fram filters. The motor has never been opened, not even the valve covers.

I have a '89 Pontiac Grand Am with over 300,000 miles on it using Fram Filters.

The Grand Am was my daily driver, 300 miles per day, oil change every 3000 miles. The Focus replaced the Grand Am as my daily driver. That means an oil change every 2 weeks. So that's 26 filters and 104 quarts of oil a year. The current mileage for the Focus 167,821.

BTW - My wife still drives the Grand AM on a daily basis.

The Flareside has over 110,000 miles on it. It pulls a trailer with a weight, with motorcycles, of 3500 lbs every year from Florida to Laconia bike week. The only thing that has been done to the truck is a transmission (AOD) re-build. A shift kit was installed and the tranny now runs a higher pressure to clamp the OD band so it will not slip. OD slippage while towing was the cause for the re-build. My brother and I did that last year.

So, I guess the point I trying to make is I got 2 bad Motorcraft filters, both different models.

I just wanted to pass on this info in case someone was experiencing the same problem.

Well superrangerman2002, does it sound like I missed something like a "miss-installed filter" or not enough oil in the pan?

Wildcard30
--------------------
1994 F-150 Flareside
2001 Ford Focus LX
1977 HD FXE Super Glide
1994 HD FLHR Road King
1996 HD FXD Dyna Glide
2001 Ducati 996
2004 Ducati 999
2002 Aprilia Mille-R
1989 Pontiac Grand AM

Last edited by wildcard30; 04-30-2004 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-01-2004, 01:55 AM
Stab
Senior User
Ford does not make motorcraft filters. They are made by purolator and I have always found them to be of high quality but things change and you can always buy the Super Tech filter at wally world which the highest quality filter in the store anyway. The name on the can means nothing. It is the insides that matter the most. I'm sure bad filters get to the shelves in all brands. I have not gotten a hold of one yet.

Old 05-01-2004, 02:22 AM
Stab
Senior User
Just out of curiosity why does all your stuff use OEM filters except the Grand AM? Seems odd.

I find it odd that you "only" use OEM oil and filters for your Ford products but your GM car gets fram?

What special trips do you have to make to get motorcraft filters? I would think the HD's and those machines from italy would not have products on the shelves at the local autozone? And the amsoil? Ya get that stuff at kmart?

You post just sounds a little fishy to me.

Everything sounds a little embelished.

Why does your wife drive a 250 dollar car that is 15 years old with 300K miles when you have 200K dollars worth of motorcycles?

And your buddy with a '57 T-bird original owner with 200K and that is supposed to be a testament to the quality of fram filters? That car has been driven about 4K miles a year....whoopeeeeeeeeee. Does this car have a spin on filter anyway?

Your mileage numbers don't add up on the focus either. According to what you said you drive 300 miles per day every single day to change oil every two weeks. Well your focus should have over 300K miles at those numbers.
And where on earth do you find time to change oil every 14 days, ride fancy motorbikes, drive a truck around the country hauling said bikes, have time to track down oil and filters and so on?

I think you got a little carried away with your "facts".

So yes I think it is possible you made a mistake somehow when changing the oil the other day. Then again you are very busy and obiously rushed for time.

Old 05-01-2004, 04:49 AM
wildcard30
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Stab
Just out of curiosity why does all your stuff use OEM filters except the Grand AM? Seems odd.

I find it odd that you "only" use OEM oil and filters for your Ford products but your GM car gets fram?

What special trips do you have to make to get motorcraft filters? I would think the HD's and those machines from italy would not have products on the shelves at the local autozone? And the amsoil? Ya get that stuff at kmart?

You post just sounds a little fishy to me.

Everything sounds a little embelished.

Why does your wife drive a 250 dollar car that is 15 years old with 300K miles when you have 200K dollars worth of motorcycles?

And your buddy with a '57 T-bird original owner with 200K and that is supposed to be a testament to the quality of fram filters? That car has been driven about 4K miles a year....whoopeeeeeeeeee. Does this car have a spin on filter anyway?

Your mileage numbers don't add up on the focus either. According to what you said you drive 300 miles per day every single day to change oil every two weeks. Well your focus should have over 300K miles at those numbers.
And where on earth do you find time to change oil every 14 days, ride fancy motorbikes, drive a truck around the country hauling said bikes, have time to track down oil and filters and so on?

I think you got a little carried away with your "facts".

So yes I think it is possible you made a mistake somehow when changing the oil the other day. Then again you are very busy and obiously rushed for time.
Run the numbers again, Stab. 5 days a week at 300 miles.

As for my wife driving a 250 dollar car, she love the old girl, therefore drives it.

Run your numbers again on the cycles, they do not add up to 200k.

The truck as stated, runs once a year from florida to new hampshire, plus some normal driving.

The fram for the grand am is what I use becuase I did not like the quality of the GM product.

You amaze me. All I want to do was pass on a problem I found and you are questioning my information.

Well, Stab, stuff it!

I have no idea why users like you have a problem when a problem is found that you say does not added up.

My what I do with my vehicles bothers you, TOUGH.

I not going to defend myself to someone that has his head "up and locked".

So if you engine does that startup rattle, Stab, just keep on running that Motorcraft filter until your motor coughs up a piston.

Old 05-01-2004, 07:07 AM
unit5alive
Senior User
Lets cuts some filters apart!

Old 05-01-2004, 08:55 AM
BlueRanger94
Senior User
I think your being too hard on Wildcard30. It's sad to say but I think the resin is he has criticized a Ford branded part.

Old 05-01-2004, 03:39 PM
BlueOvalFitter
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Wildcard,I think you got your facts backwards.It seems like the Fram filters will make your valvetrain rattle upon start up as opposed to the Motorcraft filter. And,this I know from experience.One more thing,if AC-Delco made a filter to fit my 4.2V6,ide use it! These are some of the best filters made.Do some research on it,you'll see.I presently use a Motorcraft 400S.

Quick Reply: Motorcraft Oil Filter Problems