1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Front Brake pads weirding out

Old 04-28-2004, 08:32 PM
LostWater
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Front Brake pads weirding out

I just replaced the pads on the front brakes this evening. On the test drive there are times when I lose pedal pressure and there are other times when the brakes seems to be engaged against the rotors and there is major resistance.

I have done brakes so many times, is there something special I missed that I should have done on my 99 F250 diesel? I did not unhook any brake lines so I did not feel it necessary to bleed. Should I have bled?

Anybody know how often the rotors should be replaced or at what thickness?

Thanks a bunch,

Mark

Old 04-28-2004, 09:31 PM
1ruralmailman
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like it may be something simple like a burr on the backer plates.did you by chance clean the ears that fit in to the retainers,with a grinder? i always do this as sometimes the plates are not cut clean enough to move freely in the retainers.just a thought.

Old 04-29-2004, 07:51 AM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When you pushed the caliper pistons back in the caliper did you make sure you did it straight ? Because if you don't you can create a burr or blow out the o-ring within ,also the glide bolts can get dirty and need some dielectric grease .
Are your rotors true ? I thought diesels use a different type of brake boost ,you might want to chk that.

Rich

Old 04-29-2004, 10:43 AM
wlihntr
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
make sure the metal clips that the pads slide in are clean, i use a dremel tool with a steel brush attachment to clean them off(i think this was covered above). one other very important thing where the guide rods fit into the caliper they are keyed(flat on two sides and round on the other two) you have to make sure to get the flat side of the head on the end of the rod lined up with the flat side(cut out) on the caliper, other wise you will get the caliper on kitty-wampus(yes that is a technical term) it is very easy to miss this, you cannot just bolt the caliper back on, you must line it up

Search this Thread