1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

F1 Rear Springs Removal Process

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 09:13 AM
rodman48
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F1 Rear Springs Removal Process

I'm a newby here and have a '48 ford f1 and need to remove the rear springs.
I have the frame on jack stands and the rear end jacked up to remove the stress on the springs. I'm not sure where to go from there. I don't see or understand how to remove the bushings from the eyes at the shackles. Any help would be much appreciated..

Old 04-28-2004, 11:03 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
Welcome to FTE!
You may need to lower it some in order to get some slop in the shackles. Take the nuts off the pins and drive them out. They will probably have edges/shoulders worn into the shaft of the pin that makes driving them out a challenge. Drive the pins out of the spring ends first, frame shackles last.

Use plenty of penetrating oil. PBlaster is my favorite, but even water will work. Get a big hammer and drift and go at it. If you're lucky the access hole in the frame will line up with the front pin. Mine didn't so I had to make an off-set drift from drill rod.

After the pins are out the bushings are easy. Use an assortment of screwdrivers or picks to catch an edge and collapse them into the center of the hole. Then they fall out. Hope this hits some of what you were asking about.