Sponsored by:

Stock HORN mod!!?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 06:37 PM
toddasevedo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock HORN mod!!?!

Has anyone done a HORN Mod? I purchased a compressor/horn combo that is much louder than the stock horn but was wondering where the heck the horn is and how do I get to it in this beast??? Help...

By the way. You guys are awesome. I am really enjoying my rig because of the people on this board. Just got the 3 guage a pillar and 4" exhaust and AFE air intake. Ordered the Diablo Predator today! I will post pictures when I am done.

Todd

Old 04-27-2004, 02:14 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Horn is inside the passenger side front fender.

There is a bolt behind the battery that holds it on. Access the horn from the inner wheel well.

Old 04-27-2004, 11:06 AM
toddasevedo
New User
inner wheel well?

I am a total newbie and away from my rig for the next 5 hours...sad huh. Anyway, which battery/wheel well? Drivers or passengers side? So from under the hood or behind the tire? Thanks for responding and I might be able to figure it out if i looked at it I am sure but if you knew the answer it would allow me to keep some of the hair I have left!!!
Thanks
Todd

Old 04-27-2004, 07:30 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Monsta

Old 04-30-2004, 02:33 PM
ExcursionUSA
Senior User
I installed airhorns on my rig as well... an absolute must! It gives you that certain 18-wheeler blast, if somebody tries to squeeze in right in front of you

Put on the complete package from Hadley... compressor, tank, lines and dual horns (27" and 29"), which I installed on the outside of the frame, and inside of the running boards, about 15-20 inches from the front fender well, angled downward for drainage reasons.

They are completely invisible, which makes it even more fun to press the "lock" button on your remote and scare unsuspicious bystanders...

I still have my factory installed horn and can switch my airhorn on or off...

I am sure you will have a lot of fun with those!!!

Old 05-01-2004, 12:26 PM
ZBeeble
Senior User
Originally Posted by ExcursionUSA
I installed airhorns on my rig as well... an absolute must! It gives you that certain 18-wheeler blast, if somebody tries to squeeze in right in front of you

Put on the complete package from Hadley... compressor, tank, lines and dual horns (27" and 29"), which I installed on the outside of the frame, and inside of the running boards, about 15-20 inches from the front fender well, angled downward for drainage reasons.

They are completely invisible, which makes it even more fun to press the "lock" button on your remote and scare unsuspicious bystanders...

I still have my factory installed horn and can switch my airhorn on or off...

I am sure you will have a lot of fun with those!!!
Now that's what I'd want. have you considered adding a standard air-tool outlet? Does this kit have enough compressor power and/or tank capacity?

Old 05-02-2004, 05:36 PM
MechanicOfNY
New User
Added Air Horn

I added a stainless steel boat air horn ( that I never got around to putting on my boat). I had purchased the Excursion Manuals from HELM when I bought my 2001 Ltd 4wd V-10 ($140 for the two engine and body manuals, and $75 for the electrical manual, altogether about 8 inches thick!) According to the manuals, it is rather difficult to get at the horns, hidden as they are behind the battery inside the front passenger wheel well. So, I turned to the electrical manual (p.44-1) and looked up the horn relay connections. The Horn button, when pushed, provides a ground to the coil of the horn relay, via a dark blue wire to pin 2 of the six pin under dash connector C219 (p.31-6), located behind the dash more or less near the steering column and somewhat above your right leg when driving (p.151-8). It is accessible when the large dashboard panel covering the under dash fuses is removed. The GEM (Generic Electronic Module) also provides this exact same ground, to blow the horn via the key fob transmitter. So, you must not accidentally introduce any voltages here. After finding this connector (by checking the colors and location of all six wires), I simply spliced into the blue wire, and ran this via a low amp fuse (3 amp ATO) to the control coil (pin 85) of a new horn relay, whose other side (pin 86) was connected to a 12 volt supply lead. When the horn button is pushed the original horn blows, and my added relay clicks on. The main relay contacts (Pins 30 and 87) are connected to the air horn compressor and 12 volts respectively, and suitably fused (30 amps, ATO fuse). You must use an added horn relay. The blue horn wire can reliably sink 150 milliamps to ground, which is what a relay coil draws, but it can NOT take on the 10 to 20 amps that a horn compressor draws. Mounting the horn, the compressor, and the relay are simple jobs. I used a hole saw to cut a hole through the fire wall, above the gas pedal, to run these and other wires for driving lights and gauges. The excursion's temperature, oil pressure, and voltage gauges are really idiot lights, and do not indicate changes in these quantities, although the temperature gauge does rise slowly, but it never drops when coasting down a hill, nor does the oil pressure gauge drop at idle, nor does the voltage gauge. Only the Gas gauge actually is a true indicator. I added my air horn in 2001, and it has never missed a toot. I can tap the horn button to sound the standard horn, or hold the button for a second to let the air pressure build up and blast like an 18 wheeler (or a boat). I, as a modest hot shot engineer, machinist, and electrical engineer - I would not undertake this wiring without first buying the Wiring Diagrams. A mistake could cook an electronic module costing hundreds of dollars. How I miss my 86 3/4 ton Suburban, which had no computers, and about 1/25 as many wires. Helm is at: www.helminc.com

Old 05-03-2004, 08:19 AM
ExcursionUSA
Senior User
CBeeble:

I think it's quite sufficient for the everyday use... Sometimes I wish the tank would be a little larger, but it's still all right. Compressor is just fine as well.

The standard assembly kit comes with an air outlet and (I think it's 20') of coiled air hose so that you can pump up tires, soccer ***** or whatever with it...

The standard pressure in my tank is somewhere between 165 and 170 psi when fully charged and the pressure switch will activate the compressor automatically when the pressure falls below 80 psi.

So far I am extremely pleased with the set up! Hadley provides and excellent customer service and is more than happy to answer all your questions if you have any.

I contacted Hadley for some questions and they were extremely friendly and helpful.
If you need any help, call Brian @ Hadley at (616) 249-8056 or visit them on their webiste at www.hadley-products.com.

I ordered my kit directly from one of their independent distributors CPG - Component Products Group. Also here excellent customer service and help.
If you want to order your set, talk to Kevin @ CPG at (800) 875-4488 or visit them on their own website at www.componentproductsgroup.com.

Hope that helps...

Have fun!!!

Old 05-03-2004, 03:44 PM
JoeBoost
Elder User
I put an airhorn on my X awhile ago , best money I have ever spent on anything automotive related. I love to give people that cut me off a good 170psi blast =)

Old 10-25-2004, 05:40 PM
magiccarpet
New User
Air Horns

I have wanted to put air horns on my X but cannot decide wich ones and how to install please help.

Old 10-28-2004, 09:56 AM
ExcursionUSA
Senior User
I put some Hadley Horns on mine... dual air horns, 27" and 29" long... absolutely great sound. Those are the exact OME for the Peterbilt Semi Trucks. You can order the complete set, which will save you some money. The kit includes all the installation hardware you need, the compressor, air tank, airline, fittings, pressure switch, solinoid valve, pressure gauge and of course the horns.

Mounting was not difficult at all (you have to understand I am not very handy, but even I accomplished that task - if that's any indication). I installed the horns and the hardware, but had the wiring and electrical connection done by a professional at the shop. I really was not up to that and did not want to screw my whole electrical system up, just to save a few bucks. I had them install a switch (just underneath the headlight switch) so that I can activate the horns with my factory horn buttons on the steering wheel, or deactivate it, so that it only uses the factory horns. (Of course nothing is more funny than pushing the lock button on your remote when somebody walks in front of your truck at a supermarket parking lot! ;-))

For the location... I scrambled quite a while to find a good spot for the (quite huge) horns. I finally found the perfect spot, on the outside of the frame (between running boards and the frame, just behind the driver side and passenger side wheel well). I bought some stainless steel 90 degree angles and used the existing bolts (don't know what they bolt together) to mount the angles which are giving support and hold the front of the horns. I did it the same way in the back of the horns, but on an angle, wo that the front of the horns actually are slightly angled to the front. That also helps with any moisture or water, so that it can flow out and won't destroy your horns.

Hooked up the airlines and other components to the tank, and there you go... Fully charged, you have about 180 psi to blast through those horns... and believe me... usually everybody get's out of your way!!! Lot's of fun!

Check it out at www.hadley-products.com... I have the Ambassador Kit N0977 and ordered it through Hadley's authorized dealer CPG Components Products Group (800) 875-4488... ask for Kevin... Great guy, great support, fast service!

Hope that helped!

Old 10-28-2004, 01:14 PM
deadfish88
Senior User
Do you have any pictures of the horn and tank mounting locations? I'd like to see how it looks. Thanks!

Old 10-29-2004, 03:07 PM
ExcursionUSA
Senior User
Just got the truck back today from the 4x4 shop... now running with 6" lift!
Awesome!

I'll take some pics of the tank and horn set-up... I had some problems the other day with posting pics in the post itself, but I let you know!

Old 12-07-2004, 11:51 AM
deadfish88
Senior User
Hey ExcursionUSA, just wondering if you had a chance to take those pics?

Thanks!

Old 12-07-2004, 02:39 PM
Matt M, PA
Fleet Mechanic
I am reading this thread with interest as I have a set of Hadley Bullys on my soon to be former Bronco. This is the kit with black horns. I have an Excursion on order and this will be the first mod.

On the Bronco, I mounted the horns directly behind the grill. I then put a toggle in the cubby by the brake controller to shut off the air horns and just use the factory horns.

Hadleys are indeed the best...sound, quality...you name it.

At least of my system, the horn button itself triggers a solenoid...not a compressor...so there's no need for a relay in line with the hron button. I know some systems use a direct drive compressor.

Quick Reply: Stock HORN mod!!?!