Sponsored by: DP Tuner

After Market Fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2002, 05:19 PM
elkhunter2
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post After Market Fuel tank

Does anyone know if there is a larger after market fuel tank available for a 2002 F-350 CrewCab with a short bed, diesel. The stock tank is only 29 gals. and there is plenty of room between the front of the tank and the transfer case. Thanks in advance, Mark

Old 08-25-2002, 06:38 PM
harryball
Senior User
After Market Fuel tank

I installed a 48 gallon from Transferflow, works great, fits well and was not too bad to install. I did in on the garage floor with my wife :-) installed the tank that is... she helped me keep it stable and work the jack handle a few times etc...

http://www.transferflow.com/html/ford_fuel_tank.html

Don't worry too much about the web site info, just call them. I had a friend at a shop order it and get a slightly better deal. My total out was just of $700.00 including shipping.

Yes, $700.00 is a bit much... but I was faced with towing 14,000 lbs and 29 gallons was a joke. I have no idea what engineer had his head where when they decided to put a 29 gallon tank in these trucks. I still think some Ford engineer owns stock in these fuel tank places.

Robert

Old 08-25-2002, 09:35 PM
Diesel Steve
Senior User
After Market Fuel tank

Robert,

I know what I am about to ask has been brought up before, however, I have not seen an answer to it. How do you (or did you) reset or tell the on-board computer that the truck now has a fuel tank that is bigger (gallonage) than the stock unit?

I am just curious.

Steve

Old 08-26-2002, 08:16 AM
harryball
Senior User
After Market Fuel tank

Well, after investigating the Workshop Manuals, the OTC CAN be reset and is configurable. You will have to pay to have it done, probably an hour. I've not had it done yet because the last time my truck was in the shop to fix the POS-Shiftonthefly 4x4 I was point blank told "It can not be changed unless you change out the computer, Ford sells a different computer for each sized tank..." ?!? Bull $%#$

So I called his bluff and we went to the Parts department, the guy there said, "oh, there's only one and you have to program it" Now there was some debate as to if you could enter "48" or if you would have to pick a tank size that was preprogrammed. Fine... give me the 39 gallon tank, at least it's closer... But alas they didn't know how to do it unless I wanted to buy a new computer and pay to have it installed... idiots.

To make a long story short, I'll not return to that dealership for several reasons, next time I'm in a "real" service center I'll try again.

Here's what I found in the workshop manuals...

"
Configurable Modules—F-SuperDuty
The vehicle contains the following modules that are configurable:

4- wheel anti-lock brake (4WABS) control module (if equipped)
vehicle security module
overhead trip computer (OTC) (if equipped)
restraint control module (RCM)
air suspension control module
4-wheel drive control module
instrument cluster
"

Note the OTC, if equipped, is configurable...

Then, with the single replacement part they sale there is this note...
"NOTE: The OTC must be reconfigured upon new installation. Refer to the scan tool help screen on the Ford Service Functions card to program the fuel tank size."

DING DING DING DING!!!!
>>>>>>>>" PROGRAM THE FUEL TANK SIZE "<<<<<<<<

And then in another area...
"NOTE: The OTC for the F-Series Super Duty must be reconfigured upon installation of a new message center. Refer to the scan tool help screen on the configuration card to program the fuel tank size."

So YES, it is configurable, you must use some scan tool, Service Functions card thingy...

Can ANYONE explain what this is? i.e. a paragraph that I could give the the Service-NoWriter and say "Do this."?

Thanks,
Robert

Old 08-26-2002, 05:26 PM
79CEEJAY
Elder User
After Market Fuel tank