Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

The truck engine with highest horsepower and torque

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 07:04 AM
towboat
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The truck engine with highest horsepower and torque

Who cares.
I've been reading people arguing about what manufacturer has the engine with the highest horsepower, most torque, best gas mileage etc. Ford, Dodge, Chevy and Nissan owners all braging about their engine's stats, or the latest commercial towing drag race.

But asked to name what the all-time best light truck gas engine is and you get answers like the Ford 300ci I-6 and Ford 390 V8. Neither of these truck engines were designed to win races but they both have a reputation for being nearly indestructable and make outstanding low RPM torque.

So in the long run what really matters for a truck engine, and the rest of the vehicle, is durability. I couldn't care less if it has the best in class stats, if it runs perfect every day then I'll be happy.

Old 04-25-2004, 09:41 AM
EKUgrad
Senior User
Amen brother. Get the job done day in and day out. Don't leave me stranded when I am already late for dinner. That SHOULD be Job #1.

Old 04-25-2004, 03:10 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
But when it comes time to buy a new vehicle, those numbers become very important.

Imagine yourself as a young man needing a new vehicle who doesn't have a brand-bias. Are you going to buy the Ford that is 1200 dollars more expensive but has 40 less horsepower and 25 less lb-ft of torque compared to a Chevy. No, you're going to try to get the most numbers for the least money.

The above is not going with true facts, so don't even try to start ripping on it - its a theoretical scenario and you can throw whatever brand into which category you want.

Numbers sell, not getting you home for dinner. Enlightened persons will opt for the 300-6 and drop the money into it they would have spent on a 351..or theyll find a 390 to drop in. But for new vehicles..its about the numbers of the engine, how low an overdrive its sporting for mileage, etc. Plus - today's buyers are buying trucks to replace their cars or SUV's with and getting the CC/SCREW options..so they care less about towing and more about 0-60.

I'll still take my 300-6 - and I've only had it a few months.

Old 04-26-2004, 08:33 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Right on towboat. Durability dependability that what really matters in a truck. All of my trucks have enough power for me Dont need anymore. Hey fords been known for those two D words for years. Nothing has changed.

Old 04-26-2004, 11:45 AM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I'm happy with my 360FE. It's a happy little motor, well not so little.

Why do we like hp and torque? Because it's fun. Hit the gas and get that goofy grin. My 360 will do this for me the way it is, but it's addictive. That's why I'm building a 390.

Old 04-26-2004, 11:49 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Heyrusty70F100 That 390 will give you a lot of grins believe me other than the 300 six one of my favorite ford motors. Just as durable as the six.

Old 04-26-2004, 10:21 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Heh, yeah, particularly with an aftermarket cam and ported heads.

Old 04-26-2004, 10:27 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
OOOH that sounds awesome. Id hate to try you on the street. Unless I had a lightning. Youll have a fast truck there.

Old 05-24-2004, 10:27 PM
MadMedic20
Laughing Gas
No one even mentioned the 460. 351 this and 300 6 that. Come on 460, reliable house pulling tire burning good times there!

Old 05-25-2004, 12:29 AM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Saurian
But when it comes time to buy a new vehicle, those numbers become very important.

Imagine yourself as a young man needing a new vehicle who doesn't have a brand-bias. Are you going to buy the Ford that is 1200 dollars more expensive but has 40 less horsepower and 25 less lb-ft of torque compared to a Chevy. No, you're going to try to get the most numbers for the least money.
No, I wouldn't buy a Chevy or whoever advertised more power. I would get the truck that was the best value. Anybody that would buy a vehicle based on the power to the flywheel is careless with their money, especially if they are spending enough to buy a new truck. I'd hope that they would research their spending a bit more than that.

Old 05-25-2004, 09:46 PM
lovemud
New User
Talking

I did just that, My dad owned fords, I've owned many ford trucks. But when I did a side by side comparison of the new 150 and the ram, I bought the dodge. Both are good trucks, ford had the better interior, dodge had the better engine, ford had the better tranny, ( the dodge shift funny when you hammer it) dodge had by far the better price as ford offered no rebates or special financing (why should they when your #1) I bought a loaded ram with trip computer, radio controls on the steering wheel, heated leather seats, 20" tires plus a dealer installed tonau cover, bed liner and bug wacker for a little less than 32k the equivlent ford was 37k.
you can knock dodge quality if you want, but by all acounts they have closed the gap and make a truck that's on a par with gm or ford.

The deciding factors for me - I need four doors for the kids - AND I need to fit my ATV in the back and tow a trailer. The fords bed is too short for an ATV in the four door model. the f250 is too under powered with the 5.4 , it wallows. the diesel is great if you don't mind spending 4k and will use it to pull a horse trailer.

I got the laramie (loaded) ram1500 10k miles on it now and I still smile every time I get in, 345 hp IS fun.....

Oh, and I am on a ford forum because I still have a 95 bronco that's broke again, know anything about ABS?

Last edited by lovemud; 05-25-2004 at 09:54 PM.
Old 05-26-2004, 01:08 PM
ktmguy70
Elder User
Have to say

That Being a Ford guy, Its still VERY hard to dispute the oldie but goody 350 Chevy.. Most I have been around have been Very durable and reliable. They provide Decent power and Torque, seem to run forever, Have a VERY large following and HUGE aftermarket segment.

Since the title of the thread is Truck Engine with Highest Horsepower and Torque.. I suppose that Currently Belongs to the V-10 in the Viper Ram.
Unless someone Knows another?

Old 05-26-2004, 07:41 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Yeh being a ford guy also the 350 chevy was a great motor nobody can deny that but that motor is a thing of the past also. I dont think the newer GM motors will surpass that. The new ones have just too many problems. High horsepower and torque mean little if the engine dont last. The ford trucks I have had over the years sure havent had the most horsepower and torque but the engines were sure durable and relaible.

Old 05-26-2004, 08:48 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
150ford, highest horsepower and torque also don't mean anything when the engine is in a race vehicle and it gets SMOKED by a smaller, lesser-powered cheaper truck in the same class.

Old 05-27-2004, 08:18 AM
ktmguy70
Elder User
Originally Posted by FordLariat
150ford, highest horsepower and torque also don't mean anything when the engine is in a race vehicle and it gets SMOKED by a smaller, lesser-powered cheaper truck in the same class.
While mostly Ford is usally Smaller and Less powerfull I agree, Its really Stepping up to the plate as of late with the Cobra, 6.0 and going to the 3V design on the 5.4, HOWEVER, if your Stating that the Lightning, Smoked the Srt-Ram, Then Im afraid your smoking something?
As of right now, Every thing I have read has stated the lightning isnt even in the same class, In the next year or 2 that may change, and probably will, Ford doesnt like to be behind. Car and Driver tested the SRT at 4.9. The BEST a Lightning has ever done stock is 5.2. The Average Lightning is 5.5. 3 tenths of a second is huge in such a short distance . That truck corners like a car, when they compared the two at track racing the SRT also killed it.
HOWEVER, with the Price difference between the 2 You could certainly have a SRT killer lightning, WHich would be Kinda fun.

Last edited by ktmguy70; 05-27-2004 at 08:26 AM.

Quick Reply: The truck engine with highest horsepower and torque