Joining chapters

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2004, 12:27 AM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Joining chapters

What benefits/features will members have for joining chapters? I see that the option is active now and I joined but I'm not sure exactly what it does. Also, is there a limit to the number of chapters a person can join or any criteria for joining a regional chapter (i.e. member must live within region, etc.).

If I missed an announcement that covers this please just link me, I didn't see one.

Thanks all!
Ivan

Old 05-01-2004, 06:52 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
You have the benefit of being associated with it and users being able to quickly find other members in their area. What the chapter itself decides beyond that is up to them.

Old 05-23-2004, 10:43 AM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Lightbulb

OK.. I had heard the rumor that in order to join a chapter, a person needs to have a minimum of 5 posts??? That doesn't make a lot of sense...so thats why I'm asking for clarification.

Old 05-23-2004, 12:45 PM
fordborn
Post Fiend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that some chapters are putting qualifications in place to join their chapter. This is up to each chapter. I know it may not make sense but there are some "1 hit wonders" that show up and never return. For example there are over 200 people registered as being from KS but only 51 signed up in the KS Chapter.

Old 05-23-2004, 06:11 PM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah..that was the point of my post. The "one hit wonders". I did a search in the "members" section and found a lot of people with Montana in their names, but of all them only four or five of them posted more than once and some of them registered over a year ago. It doesn't really make much sense to have someone in the chapter as a statistical member only. It might make it look good on paper, but when there are only a minority that actively participate, do we want to have numbers or participants?

The reason I was asking is because I have a request to join from a person who visited only once, so far, and hasn't posted since. (over two weeks ago, I believe) I think a minimum of 5 posts would be a fair start for adding a member. Also, we as chapter leaders may have the right to terminate a person's membership for various reasons..such as lack of posting for X amount of time, rude behavior ( after a warning or two), etc. (?) Or at least asking a moderator to terminate.... whatever.

I think the FTE leadership ought to come up with some defined rules for terminations, warnings, etc., so that we all may be fair to each and everyone without seeming biased. If there are any defined rules anywhere, that I'm not aware of...please make me aware and I'll save it to my favorites list. ( Half-Heimers, ya know )

Old 05-23-2004, 06:58 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

thank you fordlover1951for posting those questions and issues, i too would like more info or some guidelines to go by.

Old 05-23-2004, 10:29 PM
fordborn
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by Fordlover1951
Yeah..that was the point of my post. The "one hit wonders". I did a search in the "members" section and found a lot of people with Montana in their names, but of all them only four or five of them posted more than once and some of them registered over a year ago. It doesn't really make much sense to have someone in the chapter as a statistical member only. It might make it look good on paper, but when there are only a minority that actively participate, do we want to have numbers or participants?

The reason I was asking is because I have a request to join from a person who visited only once, so far, and hasn't posted since. (over two weeks ago, I believe) I think a minimum of 5 posts would be a fair start for adding a member. Also, we as chapter leaders may have the right to terminate a person's membership for various reasons..such as lack of posting for X amount of time, rude behavior ( after a warning or two), etc. (?) Or at least asking a moderator to terminate.... whatever.

I think the FTE leadership ought to come up with some defined rules for terminations, warnings, etc., so that we all may be fair to each and everyone without seeming biased. If there are any defined rules anywhere, that I'm not aware of...please make me aware and I'll save it to my favorites list. ( Half-Heimers, ya know )
I agree with all that you said and like posted above I have seen this also. Maybe the chapter leaders can get together and come up with a some common guidelines for joining and remaining in chapters. I think if we did it together and made it uniform the guidelines would be readily accepted. Chapter leaders could email others or we could put up a thread to get something started. I have put in a request for a "chapter leader" forum and I believe it is in the works. Then the leaders would be able to discuss things like these. What do you other leaders think? Need suggestions and ideas.

Old 05-23-2004, 10:43 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
i'm all for it, i'll be meeting with my group this coming weekend and get some imput from them, also it would be nice to have the ability to add and remove stickys as needed, i know its been asked and answered already but i hope that it would be reconsidered.

also some info on having regional groups, too would be helpful, as far as naming people to head them.

Old 05-23-2004, 11:37 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Fordlover1951
OK.. I had heard the rumor that in order to join a chapter, a person needs to have a minimum of 5 posts??? That doesn't make a lot of sense...so thats why I'm asking for clarification.
Not true. A chapter needs a minimum of 5 members to start, and each founding member needs to be active at least thirty days. Once started, there is no number of days qualifyer unless that chapter chooses it.

Old 05-24-2004, 03:40 PM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by f=2504by497
also it would be nice to have the ability to add and remove stickys as needed, i know its been asked and answered already but i hope that it would be reconsidered.
I agree!

Originally Posted by fordborn
I have put in a request for a "chapter leader" forum and I believe it is in the works. Then the leaders would be able to discuss things like these. What do you other leaders think? Need suggestions and ideas.
I agree!

Also, how do we make it so people have to be invited/be approved for the chapter?

-Matt

Old 05-24-2004, 03:51 PM
fordborn
Post Fiend

Send an email to Ken letting him know that your chapter has an elected leader and who it is. He will then put it into the system and your name will start appearing as chapter leader and the requests will be put to you. To check on request click on your"user CP' in the upper right then on the next page click on "chapter meberships. This will let you see if there are pending requests. Good Luck and congrats on your election.

Old 05-24-2004, 03:52 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
go to your user cp, then to chapter memberships on the left side under misc., and you should see a section for approving members. when you see your name listed as leader you should have this function.

on edit: i see that rollie was quicker on the draw.......than i was..

Last edited by f=2504by497; 05-24-2004 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-24-2004, 03:56 PM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see how to do that. I am wondering how to make it so people HAVE to be approved to join that chapter. Or is that done automatically?

-Matt

Old 05-24-2004, 03:58 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
naw , it will give you 3 choses approve disapprove and ignore.

once your name appears as chapter leader you get the "ability"

Last edited by f=2504by497; 05-24-2004 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-24-2004, 04:14 PM
fordborn
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by Beast12
I see how to do that. I am wondering how to make it so people HAVE to be approved to join that chapter. Or is that done automatically?

-Matt
Once you are in place and listed then they will have to put in a request to be approved, disapproved or ignored by you. Until this is all in place anyone will be free to join. Make sure you notify Ken so you can be properly pu into the position.

Quick Reply: Joining chapters