1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Removing steering box! Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 12:34 PM
jjoker023
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Removing steering box! Help

I am doing a frame up restore on a 57 f100. This is my first rebuild so I am not very smart yet. I need help disconnecting the steering box from the frame so I can remove the cab. I am having the frame powder coated so I all has to come off. Any info will be very helpful considering right now I know nothing. Please try to use simple terms Or you will loose me. I would also like to say THanks to everyone who uses this sight I have used it soooooo much to get me this far. you guys are great.

Thank you
Ryan (1st timer)

Old 04-23-2004, 01:15 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
This is assuming you partially dissasembled the front end. I did this on a '51 but it's the same principle. You can get a pitarm puller. I got mine off with a small gear puller that I could just get the arms behind the pitarm. You will need a steering wheel puller to remove the steering wheel. Unbolt every thing that attaches to the column in the cab and remove the floor cover. There should be a couple bolts that hold the box to the frame. Undo those and it should pull right into the cab or if the engine is removed right out the bottom.

Old 04-23-2004, 03:18 PM
jjoker023
New User
steering box

the truck is completly apart. There is the shaft that runs through the frame. I unbolted four bolts so I can see the gears and the shaft but it won't slide out. Why do I have to take the steering wheel and colum out now. Is this required to just unbolt box from frame. My goal right now is to remove all parts so I have just a frame.
ryan

Old 04-23-2004, 04:30 PM
texasbob
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Short answer is "Yes". The box is bolted to the frame from the outside, that's why the pitman arm has to come off. The steering shaft runs all the way up to the wheel as one long piece, no rag joint or coupling.That is why the wheel and column come with it. You can get it out with the wheel on if the seat is out of the way, but it's way easier to pull the wheel. The column has a clamp where it attaches to the box so you can slide the column off the shaft after getting it out of the truck. If you can see the gear you have removed the cover, not the bolts that hold the box to the frame. A shop manual would be a very good investment and can be had from this site and many other vendors. Good luck with the truck.

Bob

Old 04-23-2004, 06:24 PM
jjoker023
New User
steering box

Ok thanks for the help!! I have every thing off but how do I get the shaft out of the pit arm? Do I have to get a puller or will a crowbar work? I don't want to break something that I don't have to.

Ryan

Old 04-23-2004, 06:35 PM
57_ford
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The pitmant arm that is connected the the steering box on the outside of the frame. Their should be one bolt in the top the pitmant arm. Remove that bolt then their should be a slot exposed if you gently drive a wedge in that slot the pitmant arm should slide off.

Old 04-23-2004, 06:44 PM
jjoker023
New User
I have taken the bolt out. It has a pinch type clamp fiting I have looseend it and pryed the fitting apart but still won't come off I can wiggle it all around but still in there. It is a gear type fitting teeth ect. right
any ideas
ryan

Old 04-23-2004, 07:00 PM
57_ford
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The shaft comming out of the steering box is called the sector shaft. The sector shaft has a strait spline or gear like teeth on it 3 or 4 just on the bottom side. If you have it moving it is almost off. It should pull strait off if you tap it in and then try to pull off may help. Also if you try pull it off with a screw driver driven in the slot it should come off.

Old 04-23-2004, 07:20 PM
jjoker023
New User
thank you all

GOT IT thank you guys for all the help

Old 04-24-2004, 03:32 PM
Sixoh
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Whatever you do, don't get discouraged!!! Hey, I just sent you an email....

Shane

Old 04-24-2004, 06:36 PM
tlb
Elder User

Enjoy the experience and learn as much as you can. I bought a 48 F1 this past winter and have spent couple of months tinkering and fixing things. This is my first time doing any thing like this. Having a blast. Most of the folks on this forum have been through
this and are willing to share their expertice.

Terry

Old 04-24-2004, 06:47 PM
ke6bnl
Senior User
Originally Posted by Sixoh
Whatever you do, don't get discouraged!!! Hey, I just sent you an email....

Shane
I know what you mean I have been working on my 50 f1 for the past 3 years. I have had some major obstacles and what I found necessary was to focus on that problem alone still KEEPING THE SEQUIENCE OF BUILD in mind, tackle that one issue and move on. I finally have a driver but the next, what seems like an overwhelming project is to take it apart and start on the body work and mods single piece side windows, maybe shaved doors recessed antennae etc. PAINT. It has just been a delight to be able to drive and enjoy it for this summer. I will do the same for the body one thing at a time.Learn as I go and the great help from these and other good groups. Never was a driver when I got it. Ed ke6bnl@juno.com