1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keyless entry for two Fords?

Old 04-22-2004, 10:20 PM
Spinks310R
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keyless entry for two Fords?

I just bought my wife a used Expedition. It has keyless entry just like my F250. Does anyone know if Ford offers a remote that will unlock the doors of both my '02 F250 and my '01 Expedition? Both remotes just take up too much space on my keychain. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Spinks310R; 04-22-2004 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:02 AM
Connect
Senior User
Well the problem with that is Ford trys to make them different for a good reason. Maybe there is an aftermarket company that can read the code that it transmits and can program a custom one. If at all possible it'd be easy to just keep the two or use the key. But I don't know, search around on google.

Old 04-23-2004, 01:12 AM
Twin Tritons
More Turbo
You can program the key fobs yourself. Check your manual. If I remember right you have to unplug or short something under the dash then perform some sequence with the ignition switch, then press the button on the key fob. Timing is everything, so will probably have to have a person in each vehicle. If it is not in the manual, you can probably ask your service advisor or the service manager at your dealership for the exact sequence. I had to do this once, but it was a few years ago.

Old 04-23-2004, 01:24 AM
Connect
Senior User
Well be sure before you "short" something under the dash, alot of wires down there.

If twin is right you can program the car for a certain key fob. Manual is complicating so read the whole thing.

Old 04-23-2004, 01:26 AM
Twin Tritons
More Turbo
The service advisor did use a paper clip to "short" a connector, but yes, be sure to read cafefully.

Old 04-23-2004, 01:28 AM
Connect
Senior User
I don't see how shorting something can cuase it to accept commands from a different key fob. Unless maybe it resets the receiver for the next signal it gets. Paper Clip, sounds like ford right?

Old 04-23-2004, 01:31 AM
Twin Tritons
More Turbo
I do believe it resets the memory of the receiver (kind of like reseting the CMOS of your computer motherboard), then you have something like 15 seconds or so to push the button on the key fob or fobs that you want to be authorized to remotely open your doors.

Old 04-23-2004, 01:33 AM
Connect
Senior User
That's what I thought. If it's not in the manual check google.

Hey you think you can help me with my chimer, how can i disable the damn thing. Like cut the wires. As far as I can tell its right in or behind the fuse box.

Old 04-23-2004, 01:37 AM
Twin Tritons
More Turbo
The more I think about it... Just program one vehicle at a time and associate all the key fobs (don't know the max the system can recognize). Then program the second car and associate all the key fobs with it. Then all key fobs will work for both vehicles. The process shouldn't require two people. Only downside to this is if you unlock one vehicle in the driveway then drive away, the doors on the other vehicle will still be unlocked. Unless they automatically lock after not opening or you lock them with the key fob.

Old 04-23-2004, 01:39 AM
Twin Tritons
More Turbo
I think the door chime and seat belt alerts can also be turned off with ignition key sequences. I could be wrong, but I though I saw something in the manual of my new truck. I know you can program the interior and running board lights to come on when the doors are unlock like this.

Old 04-23-2004, 01:56 AM
Connect
Senior User
Yea my electrical is all messed up, the door lights and rear cargo light stay on for about 10 minutes even if im driving my truck and the interior dome light doesnt come on when i open doors. If I leave the key in the ignition when the truck is off it'll beep forever. My door ajar light is always on.

Good/bad news for spinks310r, I was looking through my 01 manual and foudn how to reprogram the remote transmitter. Page 83 and controls and features. It looks as though the CAR programs the TRANSMITTER, at least that is how it is worded. If that is the case you would not be able to program it for both. It recommends you take the car and transmitters to ford for reprogramming. But First id look in your manual and decide for yourself, that is why I am not telling you exactly how to do it right here. If you lost your manual and want me to tell you just say so.

PS> Still looking for how to disable chimes. I know how to disable seat belt reminders. But id really like to be able to leave my keys in the ignition when its off and would REALLY love to listen to music in the ACC position without the chime beeping like crazy.

Old 04-23-2004, 02:05 AM
christop43
Posting Guru
Will the Expedition and SD be parked near each other? Even if you figure out how to get them both to operate on the same remote I would be worried about unlocking both, forgetting to re-lock the other and driving away.

Old 04-23-2004, 03:26 AM
fitter565
Elder User
Connect, If you go to the sticky at the begining of the forum on SD facts it will give you all the info you need to get rid of the chimes. If you cant find it let me know and I can give you instructions on how to do it.

Fitter

Old 04-23-2004, 05:33 AM
Connect
Senior User
Ok so door latch, WD-40, key in the ignition, tape the connections.

So that really just leaves me with the dome light not coming on when I open the door.

Oh and, have you ever considered supercharging your escape? 5.9 sec 0-60, 14.4 sec quarter at 93 mph. Smoke the crap outta rice rockets. hehe

Old 04-23-2004, 01:24 PM
lugnut
Senior User
>. Page 83 and controls and features. It looks as though the CAR programs >the TRANSMITTER, at least that is how it is worded.

I believe that this is incorrect- when you are doing this procedure you are telling the Trucks GEM module which remotes to respond to. Thats why you have to have all of the remotes with you when you do the procedure.
On my 2001 SD there was no shorting of any wires involved. There are a few conditions that have to be met- doors closed? or something, etc, then you turn the key on and off X number of times etc etc; then the doors will lock/unlock to tell you its ready. Then you push a button on each remote that you will be using, and the doors will lock/unlock. Prior ones are erased, so any remote that you don't have there will no longer work.
Thats the gist of it, as i recall, at least on my 2001 SD, but you really need to have the owners manual there so you can do it EXACTLY right.
mike

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Keyless entry for two Fords?