2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update on my wind noise problem.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 07:24 PM
Toreador
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Update on my wind noise problem.

OK, today was the day to take my truck in because of the improperly installed windshield. The dealer and the glass company agreed the windshield was not properly seated. So their solution was to remove it and reinstall it in what they considered was the proper position. The paperwork from the glass company wasn't on hand and I'll get it in a couple days as to exactly what they did. They told me to keep the windows slightly cracked open for a couple days to avoid building up pressure in the truck and if I did close them don't slam the door. Wow, what a difference. What I thought was regular or normal road wind noise had to be the windshield. On the way home I did close the windows, turned off the radio, and the AC fan. It was super silent. Hardly any noise at all. Overall I'm happy with their solution although not happy that this could happen in the first place. I hope this helps others because now I understand the group of people in here that say things like their interior sound is unnervingly quiet. It is!!!

Old 04-20-2004, 07:41 PM
ultramax21
Senior User
Good for you Toreador! I honestly believe I've got the same problem, but if I can just ever get my truck back out of the shop for that stupid chatter/rattle from underneath the steering wheel I'll be ONE HAPPY CAMPER!

Once I get my truck back I'll drive it for a couple months then take it back and have them check the windshield, I'm afraid if I do it now they may keep it another 2 weeks. I talked with my service advisor today and he said they finally got the rattle to stop but will do one more road test tomorrow after the truck has sat in the sun for a couple hours to make sure they've got it.

Old 04-20-2004, 07:53 PM
Toreador
Elder User
Originally Posted by ultramax21
Good for you Toreador! I honestly believe I've got the same problem, but if I can just ever get my truck back out of the shop for that stupid chatter/rattle from underneath the steering wheel I'll be ONE HAPPY CAMPER!

Once I get my truck back I'll drive it for a couple months then take it back and have them check the windshield, I'm afraid if I do it now they may keep it another 2 weeks. I talked with my service advisor today and he said they finally got the rattle to stop but will do one more road test tomorrow after the truck has sat in the sun for a couple hours to make sure they've got it.
It didn't take them very long to do it. Most of the time was just getting the glass people out to the dealership. Maybe ask them to listen for excess wind noise during their test drive (you have said it was like driving in a "wind tunnel"?). Might save you from having to take it back in later. The difference in sound level is amazing and I had already said this was the quietest truck I've ever driven. In any case good luck and keep us up to date.

Old 04-20-2004, 09:19 PM
ultramax21
Senior User
I might have went a little over board saying "wind tunnel", but there is deffinelty wind noise above ~50-55mph. Not road noise, but wind noise and its coming from the center portion of the windshield. LOL, but I haven't driven my truck now in 2 weeks so I'm just going by memory that is now being confussed with organic chemistry and the other 4 classes I'm taking this semester, classes end next week so finals are just around the corner. I graduate May 8th, anyone wanna come party in Athens with me, we're known for producing the best educated alcoholics since 1785!

Old 04-20-2004, 10:33 PM
dleonard888
Junior User
Toreador, That's great news, i believe i said mine sounds like a wind tunnel. I'm taking my truck in this week for the first oil change and will set something up for them to look at the windshield. I believe you said your truck came from Norfolk VA ??? thats where mine came from. Maybe they have a problem up there.

Old 04-21-2004, 03:58 AM
Toreador
Elder User
Originally Posted by dleonard888
Toreador, That's great news, i believe i said mine sounds like a wind tunnel. I'm taking my truck in this week for the first oil change and will set something up for them to look at the windshield. I believe you said your truck came from Norfolk VA ??? thats where mine came from. Maybe they have a problem up there.
Could be that Norfolk is stamping them out a bit ragged. I have to be honest in my evaluation. Tonight on the way home from work I once again turned everything off to see how quiet it actually is. Yes it is a little more quiet, but I still hear the "leak" hiss sound from the front of the windshield. Also on further examination the seal I said was poking out from the left side (4 inches down) is still sticking out!!! What are the odds that the glass people really did take out my windshield, reinstall it, and the seal sticks out at the same area??? I'm begining to suspect they did nothing to the windshield, other than maybe pour some liquid sealent around it. I'll try to get more info when I go back for the paperwork. The service guy did tell me to let him know if I hear any improvement. I did at first, but maybe that was "wishfull" thinking. And maybe what I'm hearing is simply road wind noise that all the trucks have. It's still a great ride and much more quiet than any other truck I've ever driven in.