Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tailgate window only works sometimes

Old 04-19-2004, 08:48 PM
Mary_Kate_Olsen
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tailgate window only works sometimes

Now that it is getting warm out I car do some work on the bronco. How should I go about troubleshooting a tailgate window that keeps stopping and starting at random?

Mine will sometimes work great for weeks at a time then all of a sudden stop all together for a undetermined length of time. Some times it will be fixed by driving around and going over bumps. But the last time it stopped the bumpy road trick didn't help. It suddenly started working again while absolutely still, parked in front of my house. Just repeatedly pressing the button caused it to start moving again.

What is the best way of replacing the wiring to the tailgate? do I have to remove all the interior plastic or is it better to snake the wires through? Does ford have a decently priced replacement wiring kit for this?

Old 04-19-2004, 10:09 PM
carfreak113
Senior User
My truck has gotten a little touchy if tail gate isn't closed "properly". Before replacing the switch you might just check to make sure that its closed solidly every time its opened.......

Old 04-19-2004, 10:18 PM
RLKBOB
Senior User
Make sure it's closed all the way, there is a switch on the pass side of the tailgate that senses if it's closed all the way. If it's not closed all the way or it thinks it's not then the window motor won't work. Check the wires where they come out of the body and go in to the tailgate, they frequently get frayed/cut and cause these intermittent problems and eventually it stops completely causing most guys to think the window motor is bad.

Old 04-19-2004, 10:57 PM
uscrpick
Freshman User
I had the same problem you describe with the rear window of my 89 bronco. I thought it was the wiring harness for the rear window so I replaced that but the problem persisted. In the end it ended up being the switch on the dashboard.

Old 04-20-2004, 12:31 AM
Swit
Junior User
Mary Kate,

Uscrpick describes something very akin to my experience... the symptoms of which were similar to yours.

As best I can recall, some of the common problems for this intermittant beast are:

- broken wire (inside the insulation) at the flex point(s) of the wiring harness leading into the tailgate... lower left corner of the tailgate.

- the 'closed' limit switch failing.

- ground wire connection in need of cleaning.

- of course the darn dash switch.

Run a search in this forum for 'tailgate window' and similar keywords.. you'll find a *number* of threads with more details.

The wiring to the tailgate runs down the left side frame channel and is fairly well protected. Unless there's physical signs of wear, melting, etc.. the wiring will probably be fine.. with the possible exception of that which runs (and flexs) to the tailgate itself.

Personally, I kinda wish someone had said, "Change the dash switch first.", but then again, that *is* what was ailing mine.

Swit
'94 XLT 5.8

Old 04-20-2004, 06:00 AM
Mary_Kate_Olsen
Senior User
Okay thanks for the replies. I forgot to say that the tailgate-is-closed-switch has been bypassed sense one week after I bought the bronco. (I'm smart enough to not rase the window if the tailgate it open).

So I should double check the dash switch, the motor's grounding point, and the flexy wires leading from the taillight into the tailgate (but not the wires leading into the taillight). Is there an easy way to check the dash switch without using the "replace it and see if it is better" method?

Old 04-20-2004, 11:14 AM
dkleonard
New User
I had a similar problem and noticed it was occurring after it rained. My weather stripping on the tailgate was cracked and in pretty rough shape, probably letting in some water. So I opened the tailgate cover, relubed the gearing, replaced the tailgate rubber/felt weatherstripping and so far (~6 months) no more hiccups. Good Luck.

Old 04-20-2004, 01:15 PM
kumabronc
Junior User
I had a similar problem and beleive it or not the plastic connector between the window wiring harness and the tailgate wiring harness had corroded and was only getting about ten volts across it.

A good pair of wire cutters, a soldering iron, and some heat shrink tubing cured my problem. I hard wired the motor directly to the tailgate harness.

Old 04-20-2004, 01:56 PM
jacque_strap
Senior User
I had the same problem and did the same thing as kumabronc. Worked like a charm ever since!!