Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Ford or Dodge

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 08:15 PM
cjr
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford or Dodge

I have a friend who tode me that cummins is a better diesel engine then the 6.0, For the following reasons
1. Cummins has been around a long time.
2. Cummins has less moving parts then the 6.0.
3. He said that the 6.0 was a gas engine convert to the diesel engine.

Any help on this comments.

Old 04-16-2004, 08:23 PM
sinister73
Elder User
Statements 1 and 2 are absolutely correct.
Statement three is complete nonsense.
As of right now the Cummins is undisputed for longevity and reliability.
Anyone who says different is as brand biased as your friend is, and his bias is
obviously the main reason for his lack of knowledge regarding the Ford diesel.

Old 04-16-2004, 10:24 PM
hp&trq
New User
My four cylinder Mitsubishi easily dusted a 04 6.0 Powerstroke....

Old 04-16-2004, 10:43 PM
acerockola77
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I don't think Ford had fast in mind when they built their diesel engines... Not sure what that had to do with Cummins VS Ford but ok.

Cummins makes a dang good motor anyone who says anything else is biased. As for his arguments about Cummins being better than Ford, he sure dosen't have much. I really want to know where he got the 6.0 was a converted gas engine though.

Last edited by acerockola77; 04-16-2004 at 10:49 PM.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:55 PM
ChevySniper
Senior User
hey hp&trq..I bet the 6.0 could pull about 20 of your Mitsubishis while your Mits would have a hard time pulling a bicycle..

Old 04-17-2004, 12:04 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by cjr
I have a friend who tode me that cummins is a better diesel engine then the 6.0, For the following reasons
1. Cummins has been around a long time.
2. Cummins has less moving parts then the 6.0.
3. He said that the 6.0 was a gas engine convert to the diesel engine.

Any help on this comments.
1. Both International and Cummins have been around a long time.
2. Yes, less moving parts in the Cummins, but more broken parts on the Dodge it's wrapped in.
3. The 6.0 is in no way a converted gas engine. The engine was designed by International as a diesel engine and they supply Ford with engines.

Old 04-17-2004, 07:25 AM
cjr
Freshman User
Thanks for everybody input. I really like the Ford truck style. Is Ford working on correcting the problems they had with the 6.0 this year ? Will 2005 be a better year for the 6.0 ?

Old 04-17-2004, 12:16 PM
hp&trq
New User
Originally Posted by ChevySniper
hey hp&trq..I bet the 6.0 could pull about 20 of your Mitsubishis while your Mits would have a hard time pulling a bicycle..
Are you saying the 6.0 has a tow rating of 62,000 lbs. I was stating some factual stuff, and it was intended as a joke, my little Mitsu is an Evo and it can pull 4.8's on 0-60 and 13 sec 1/4 miles. And the Evo is meant for hauling ASphault. Anyway back to the topic........

Old 04-17-2004, 10:10 PM
superdutyspv
Senior User
There is no way in hell that your Mitsibishi can beat my 6.0 or any 6.0 for that matter!!! In your dreams! You are friggin' delusional if you believe that a 4 cylinder...... ROFLAO!!!!! I needed a good laugh!!!

Last edited by superdutyspv; 04-17-2004 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-17-2004, 11:04 PM
ChevySniper
Senior User
superdutyspv...don't worry, in about 2 years that Mitsubishi won't even be in one piece. Believe me, I owned one, the rattles and stuff going wrong finally drove me nutty and I traded it in within a year. When I was driving it down to trade it in, the door handle broke and fell off in my hand. I hope the quality is better than it was in '98 when I had my Eclipse for hp&trqs sake. If he added some Nitrous Oxide or something it's possible that he's turning those numbers, but if he does have Nitro, that engine will be toast in no time.

Old 04-18-2004, 12:28 AM
hp&trq
New User
Originally Posted by superdutyspv
There is no way in hell that your Mitsibishi can beat my 6.0 or any 6.0 for that matter!!! In your dreams! You are friggin' delusional if you believe that a 4 cylinder...... ROFLAO!!!!! I needed a good laugh!!!

Keep laughing....

http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/d...2003134229.pdf

How do truck people not know about other manufactures engines, do you live in a submarine and never come up for air.

Last edited by hp&trq; 04-18-2004 at 12:43 AM.
Old 04-18-2004, 07:33 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hp&trq...
tell me again why you are on a Ford Truck site touting Mitsubishi four cylinder turbos ???

I had a 4 cyl turbo and it was quick...
but I don't have it now because I moved on to bigger and better things...

and again, not really a fair comparison...
to say this is a stock versus stock comparison when one "stock" car has been set up to do one thing and the "stock" truck is not intended for that purpose...

I would also venture that there is a tremendous amount of potential in the diesel truck for improvemnts and the Mit Evo is close to maxed out...

but hey, it's a Ford Truck discussion board - so let's discuss civily !

Old 04-18-2004, 08:39 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Goodness sake we have a hard enough time debating Ford vs cummins than we bring a mitsubishi in to the discussion. Hopesfully not to many fans of those out there or well have 10 pages of discussion on this. Cummins is undeniably a great long lasting motor unfortunateley its in a dodge truck thats where the greatness stops.Maybe these newer dodges are built and last longer than the older ones did. Lets hope.

Old 04-18-2004, 09:03 AM
EKUgrad
Senior User
perfect truck

Let's get the mitsusushi talk out of here. Anyways, back to trucks. I love the Cummins. Sound, torque rise is quick, smooth, and deliberate. The 6.0's that I have driven are beasts--like a rocket once the turbo spools up. I would really like to see a real world test, not these 0-60 up hills and at the track sh** that the magazines do. Hook a horse trailer, trailer of hay, or a big 5th wheel and take them down the road with the cruise set at 70 (no need to get crazy). Take them down a road with some hills, too. Maybe I-75 through TN and into the Smoky's (not from out west, would not know how to relate). See which one performs better and easier.

Personal thoughts:

like both the dodge and ford looks -- Dodge better looking (IMO), Ford looks like a stronger, more durable , and heavier duty truck

like the way that the dodge drives. steering is very tight and responsive, great ratio. I can turn it around and get into parking spaces, maneuver in parking lots, etc

dodge's biggest prob with the current body style is that the sheet metal is too thin. you can take your thumb and dent in the side, leave a ripple on the back quarter panel at the apex of the curve. SUCKY. trucks are supposed to be tough.

My dream truck would be something akin to the Tonka concept with a King Ranch interior, say a black F-350 CC SRW short bed with the Cummins and either an automated manual transmission or the TorqueShift.

Oh yeah, and I need a nav system and climate control like the ones in the new Lincolns.

Anybody want to find me one of those?

Old 04-18-2004, 09:09 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Hey EKU grad Sounds like my truck to. Cant find it though. Are you a recent grad as your name says. Glad you posted here. You have some good thoughts there. Keep replying the more the better.

Quick Reply: Ford or Dodge