Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

truck cap or tonneau type cover? also, what kind of bed liner?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 07:51 PM
rferoni
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truck cap or tonneau type cover? also, what kind of bed liner?

Truck should be in any day now, was wondering if I should get a truck cap or a tonneau type cover....I like truck caps but it sucks when you want to haul something that won't fit in the back of the truck(like a fridge, or furniture, etc..)and as for tonneau's, I just think they are kind of ugly(no offense to you tonneau guys out there . Anyone have any suggestions?

As for the bed liner, should I get the ford one(plastic) for $200 or get one of those spray in jobs? I just had the rubber mat on my '94 ranger and it worked ok. Let me here the pro's/con's....Thanks,

Ron

Old 04-15-2004, 09:36 PM
Toreador
Elder User
Go for the X-line spray in or Speedliner spray in. Best to call both places and get the best price between them (make them fight each other for your business). The spray in is better because it doesn't come loose and rattle or scratch up you paint. Also it's better because it won't let moisture on the bed for rust and will help slightly dampen road noise from the back.

Old 04-15-2004, 09:44 PM
boomin
New User
Just ordered a truck bed cover from a company called Peragon, it looks pretty good you should check out there web site.

I have a Line-X spray in liner and am very happy with it, I was about to get the drop in type just don't like the way they hold water, rub the paint, and deform after awhile in the sun.

JMO.

Old 04-15-2004, 10:14 PM
Broncojohn
Senior User
I had the same questions in my head for a while. I use my bed so much that I don't want to cover it, so I don't.
I've had both the spray in and drop in liners over the years, and I now can say i will only use drop in liners. First off they grind the paint down to a base. Its not to harsh but your original paint is toast, so you might as well scratch up the bed first and then get the liner. The next "con" to the sprayin liner is if you dent the bed you will have to live with it. The drop in liners cover the dents and tend to protect the bed from impact better. They spray ins are much more attractive until you abuse them. So if your moving dirt or the occasional piece of furniture take your pick. If your moving loose steel or big rock the drop in (in my experience) are a better bet. Also when you go to sell the truck later you can drop in a new liner and the bed looks good again. Its hard to recover from an abused sprayin liner.

Old 04-16-2004, 01:31 AM
blue 2004 FX4
Senior User
I like the bed looking somewhat original so I went with a rubber bed mat. Laneautomotive.com has them. A LeBra no snap cover is on my truck also.

Old 04-16-2004, 05:10 AM
blitzen25bm
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im thinking about the rubber mat too but is there anyone that makes mats that covers the wheel wells too?

Old 04-16-2004, 05:15 AM
Broncojohn
Senior User
yep, I recieved a Cabela's catolog and they have one. I think is made by Custom Fit. They called it Dualcomp bedliner system Try www.cabelas.com

Last edited by Broncojohn; 04-16-2004 at 05:17 AM. Reason: added bedliner name
Old 04-16-2004, 05:23 AM
fordguy61mi
Senior User
I have the Ford drop in (got it free from the dealer when I bought the truck off the lot) and I like it.

Old 04-16-2004, 05:32 AM
newtof150
Senior User
My http://www.versacover.com/ should be here any day.

I emailed and received a response prior to ordering. They relate that the cover is a perfect fit on the new F150 bed with plastic over the sides and tailgate.

Hopefully, at 25lbs I can single-handidly remove when needed.

Old 04-16-2004, 08:05 AM
rferoni
Senior User
I think I'm liking that versacover. Add a rubber mat to the bed floor and I think I'd be good to go......

Ron

Old 04-16-2004, 01:29 PM
newtof150
Senior User
Hopefully, at 25lbs I can single-handidly remove when needed.<!-- / message -->
I don't know where I got the idea the cover is 25lbs, more like 58 lbs, see

http://www.versacover.com/features

The trucking company called me mid-morning remembering that my office parking lot is not quite large enough for a convenient turn-around. I met them up the road, transfered the box from trailer to my truck bed, then drove back to the office.

Thinking that the cover might be delivered today, I brought a few tools. Only needed a 5/16 socket and a small wrench to adjust the lock striker plates.

Installation took me about one hour; I'm slow, read everything, etc. Then, I go back and do some adjusting.

You do the same and you too will be satisfied. The cover looks really nice on a white truck. The most major headache was cutting-up the box for disposal.

Recommended....

Old 04-16-2004, 03:45 PM
kfactor
Junior User
One question about the Versacover.... Since it is over the tailgate, do you have to unlock the two locks and raise the cover prior opening the tailgate? That may be secure but a major pain in the #@$ for day to day operation.

Old 04-16-2004, 04:52 PM
newtof150
Senior User
do you have to unlock the two locks and raise the cover prior opening the tailgate?
Yes, doesn't bother me, but I can see how others might consider it a pain.

Old 04-16-2004, 05:35 PM
Toreador
Elder User
I don't understand the need for these Tonneau covers. It's a truck. If you wanted an SUV or van why not buy one???

Old 04-17-2004, 12:26 AM
brown1275
New User
I agree with you Toreador - I don't like any covers or toppers but I guess it's personal preference.

Quick Reply: truck cap or tonneau type cover? also, what kind of bed liner?