eletric supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 02:17 AM
bdraft
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eletric supercharger

I remember when that Hot Rod TV came out. During the advertisements, one of the adds was for some funky eletric supercharger. it appeared to be a turbocharger or a centripical supercharger powered by an eletric motor. I only remember seeing it in about the first 6 or so after which I wasn't watching much anymore (time).

They had it hooked to a WOT switch.

Anybody remember what happened to that and what becaume of the company and such on and so forth?? I've lost the name in my memory, lost the packet that they mailed me (they had a version for motorcycles too you know).
I asked what the name was on a BBS I use to frequent, one of the regulars remembered the commercial and remembered what I was talking about, but that was pretty much the extent of his memory on it.

I'd like to find the what fors and what nots even if it is just for a good laugh.

thank you for your time;
bdraft

Old 04-10-2004, 03:29 PM
Jimbo302
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are several companies trying to rip people off with this scam. Just do a search or check ebay.

Old 04-11-2004, 07:02 PM
agelder
Senior User
Piece of crap. To have an effective electric supercharger, you would need an alternator the size of a bus tire. basically a fan in a tube.

Old 04-12-2004, 03:28 AM
bdraft
Junior User
I was still wanting to see if I could bring up some info on them, company name or product name woulp help.

It was for momentary use I believe, but the power hit would be bad enough.

Don't know, if you switch from 12v DC to 120v AC or higher, and gear the motor to the turbine right I don't think it would take as much juice as you might think.
I'd definatly think that a high output alternator and dual battery system would be in order, and probably some type of active eletronic voltage monitoring/regulating for the sensitive eletronics like CD or heck even the vehicle's own computer....
Going from nice fat 13.8v juice to lean starveing 9.8v or something like that at the flick of a switch, then back to probably mor ethan the 13 or 14V that alternator normally keeps battery at just because the pull kicked the alternator into OD so to speak.

By the way, a supercharger IS a fan in a tube, fan is just diffrent shaped if it's a roots or eaton....then it's known as a screw, which when you cut it really short looks like a fan....

later....
bdraft

Old 04-12-2004, 07:58 AM
agelder
Senior User
It takes a lot of juice. Consider that superchargers can take a sizeable percentage of HP to run at their full boost (30-40hp just to run a s/c is not uncommon) and then calculate how much voltage and current is needed to create that kind of work. It's easy to spin a turbine/fan at normal atmospheric pressure. But as you increase the resistance behind the fan (i.e. boost) the requirements for power go up at a nonlinear rate. You would be better served putting electric motors on your wheels. I'll try and find a link to the calculations showing how much juice would be needed.

Old 04-12-2004, 04:14 PM
bdraft
Junior User
power consumption:

1hp = 746watts

40hp = 29840watts

W= V*A
(W/V) = A

29840/12 = 2486.667A
29840/120 = 248.667A

The HP and wattage conversions are accurate if my memory of college physics serves me. I didn't take the time to diffrentiate between DC and AC and I didn't figure in any types of losses (fiction, paracitic, cosmic nutron backpressure causes by seisemic anomolies in the subspace continuium....sorry joke).

still just wanted to see if I could pull them up on the web....

later bdraft

Old 04-15-2004, 06:56 PM
Lord Sargent
New User
im not sure if there is a kit for trucks, but i know Knights Performance makes a momentary electric supercharger (they say use it for 15 seconds at a time and it has to recharge) for my 3000gt... if i can find a link ill post it

Old 04-15-2004, 07:25 PM
Lord Sargent
New User
did a search, and they do not make a kit for trucks, but here is a link to the one for my 3000GT

http://www.boosthead.com/product.php (the link doesnt go straight to the type of car, just go to the lists...)
Mitsubishi>3000GT DOHC>electric supercharger

Old 04-20-2004, 12:25 PM
bdraft
Junior User
The link didn't work, but that is alright, the jpeg worked and i got an idea of it. thank you....

Old 04-22-2004, 05:22 PM
seth1
Senior User
there is a thing i have heard of the website for it is www.turbonator.com