Oklahoma Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

I would apreciate some advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 01:44 AM
Big Blue E350
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would apreciate some advice

I am the owner of a big fat long ugly blue 1988 econline 350. It has a 460 fuel injected engine and a c6 automatic transmission. The original motor is still in it with 235k miles on it. before I got the van, it was being used as a camping van and a work truck for a satellite guy in tx somewhere. the interior is pretty beaten down as is some of the body, but the thing drives good now except for a transmission leak which will be taken care of within the next 2 days. Now I like this van I would like any and all advice on what type of modifications or add ons people have done to simillar vans to improve performance. I am not thinking anything unpractical or extremely expensive but I would like to know as much as I can about upgrading this big ugly van of mine.

Thank you all

Old 04-13-2004, 07:04 AM
White_Knight
Senior User
Arrow I'm a van lover myself

BigBlue,

Give this a think... I used to own a (shudder) Dodge van that
was a Pathfinder 4 wheel drive conversion. There's some sites
on the 'Net that touch on this. If I can find it, there's one that
chronicles a Ford E350 conversion. That's just one thought.
Welcome to the posts!

White_Knight

P.S. The legendary logger Paul Bunyan had a big blue ox named "Babe"...

W/K

Old 04-13-2004, 10:56 AM
Johnboy_BoomerSooner
Elder User
Call "Pimp my ride"... they'll drop a sectional in the back, some flip down flat screen monitors, and maybe a fridge and a microwave. Heck, put that big boy on some 20's and add some hydrolics and your pimped. Well, if you like that sort of thing anyway.

Personally I'd go with White Knights thoughts and do a 4WD conversion, maybe lift it and paint it camo, make a real OK camper out of it. The 4WD conversion would be cool. And before I did many performance mods on that tired 235K 460 it might pay to do a rebuild first.

Old 04-13-2004, 11:23 AM
Big Blue E350
Junior User
Talking

Cool! great ideas! I am about 2-3 months out on pulling moter tranny and suspension for a complete overhaul. should I do the lift at the same time as I do the suspension or wait? also would it be a good idea to get the drivetrain where I want it before "pimping" it out? I eventually want "show" and "go", however I think I will get the go part first. lol Has anyone heard of a particular set of headers/heads that work well with the 460 vans? Does anyone know of someone who has successfully charged a 460 without explosion, in this type of application? If so I would like to learn more with the possiblity of actually doing it. One day I want it to beat Z28's, Rice Rockets and Vettes! I would rather it look good doing it, but I think it is more humiliating to get beat down by an ugly old beater!

Old 04-13-2004, 01:27 PM
Johnboy_BoomerSooner
Elder User
I smoked a ricer on the way home from work yesterday in the wife's dodge caravan... now you know that has to be embarassing. I think his ride was all for looks though really, all the bolt on body mods and stickers and a big ole muffler made it look quick, but he was probably stock under the hood. I saw him coming down 35 weaving in and out of cars and he cut right in front of me and really ticked me off. I changed lanes a bit later and he had got hung up behind some cars, when I passed him I made eye contact with his girl in the pass. seat and I just laughed and pulled away. Well he pulled in behind me and there was a pretty big clearing in the traffic right in front of me. Sure enough, as soon as we cleared the last car I saw him start to weave out into the lane to my left... I just put the hammer down, he never started gaining on me till I leveled off at about 100. As he came up beside me I saw his girl cracking up and pointing like she was telling him to GO! I nailed it again and started pulling away, then it shut down, must govern out at like 110 I guess. Anyway, my exit was right there so I just got off... his girl was still cracking up the last time I saw her, you know that had to be embarrassing to get schooled by a mini-van. Ours is the smallest of the models, but it has the 3.3L V6, it's really pretty quick for a van... but like I said, he must have had a stock 4 banger no better than that accord was doing.

By the way I usually don't drive like that, it was really kinda dumb... but he deserved it.

Old 04-13-2004, 05:18 PM
Big Blue E350
Junior User
lol I love it, See what I intend to be capable of, eventually, is to pull up next to a Z28, or a turboed eclipse, or maybe even (dare I say it) 5.0 supercharged Cobra, and just for grins be able to pull em and laugh all the way home. I love to watch fast cars, but unfortunately have never had the time or money or ability to have one. I think that the embarressment of getting beaten down by a vehicle that never should have a chance would be so much more satisfying than souping up a mustang or some other type of "fast" car. Maybe it's just my perverted sense of humor or something but I love the thought of it.

And I would like to note that I have no intention of racing everybody or driving like an idiot, I just want the ability to do so.....

LMAO!

Old 04-16-2004, 02:42 AM
Big Blue E350
Junior User
Does anyone know what the "best" shocks to put on my 10 ton blue bus? I can't decide, and the pep boys seem torn between Monroe and a particular line of gas shocks I have not heard of. I want a smoother ride, so what should I look to change?