2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An Alternative for that "LEVEL" Look

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 05:09 PM
ctfordguy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4X4s should be lifted not lowered, IMO

Old 04-15-2004, 06:16 PM
fanman2
Senior User
"Leveling Project" Update

Hi everybody.....

My "leveling project" as Fred Andrews put it, is complete!!!

My Beltech 2" LOWERING shackles arrived yesterday afternoon. First thing this morning, I went to see my buddy Bill at the local MIDAS Automotive Experts location.....and within 30 minutes, he had my old shackles off, and the new ones on.....and only charged me $30.00 for 1/2 hour labor.

In my opinion, it is well worth it, because to do the job correctly, and with the greatest of ease, the truck must be on a hydraulic lift that allows the rear axle to hang "free" on the two leaf springs and the two shocks....and before you remove an OEM shackle, you have to put a screw adjustable jack stand under the axle close to the side you are working on, so you can move the axle up and/or down to get the OEM bolts out, and put them back through the new LOWERING shackle.....then repeat for the other side of the vehicle.

NOW HERE THIS.....the Beltech LOWERING Shackle Set is advertised to allow a 1" or 2" drop, and it has 2 sets of "spring thru bolt" holes on it, which means that the lower hole (the one closest to the ground) would be used if you wanted a 1" drop, and the upper hole (the one closest to the bed) would be used for a 2" drop.

Based on my earlier comments on this site, you all know that I wanted a 2" drop to make the rear of my truck LEVEL with the front of my truck. I used the upper holes on the LOWERING shackles, the ones that are supposed to give you a 2" drop.....but when the job was complete and the suspension completely settled back down.....my resulting drop (checked with a tape measure) was about 1.25".....NOT the advertised 2"!!! At first, I was NOT a very happy camper.....but after stepping back and looking at the truck from many different angles, it looks REALLY GOOD!!!

That pick-up truck characteristic "*** in the air" look is gone.....and it now sits almost level, with only a VERY SLIGHT rise in the rear.

I had to go out of town on business today, resulting in a 300 mile drive in my newly "lowered" truck. It rides EXACTLY the same as it did before....but it seems to be a bit more stable on uneven and/or bumpy roads, and it corners flatter than it did before. I believe this improved handling is due to the lower longitudinal center of gravity.

And for all of you concerned about your gas mileage.....I filled up just before I started my trip......did about 75 miles on the Interstate at 65 MPH, then about 100 miles on regular highways at 35 to 60 MPH, with the A/C OFF, and the outside temp in the low 60's....and got 21.0 MPG. Then on my return trip to Charlotte, I did about 125 miles on regular highways at 35 to 60 MPH, with the A/C ON, and the outside temp. in the low 70's.....and got 20.6 MPG...

And FINALLY.....I think I have found an answer for ALL of you that are experiencing front end vibrations just below 60 MPH to just above 60 MPH. I will post that information in the proper thread tomorrow morning.

And let us all remember Fred Andrews (Oneagle1) in our thoughts and prayers.....and wish him a safe tour of duty in Irag, and a quick return home to his family and friends. Way to go Fred....we are with you ALL THE WAY...

Happy motoring!!

Fred

Old 04-15-2004, 06:34 PM
newtof150
Senior User
Good article fanman2, now the pictures are posted where ?

BTW, I didn't notice that you show CLT as your home, I'm just 50 miles NW of you, DJ country.

I'm looking forward to doing the same to my truck.

Also, went back to the tire store where I traded my BFGs for Kumhos. We have a friendly relationship as they supply tires for all my vehicles including my race car. Had the 'main-man' do another road force balance on all fours. Really helped with the shudder.

But still, I contend that the 'low-bid' shocks are undergoing hydraulic lock on moderate frequency bumps which aggrevates the shudder. I'll probably upgrade to more modern dampeners in the future.

--------------------------------------------------
2004 F150 Scab Lariat 4x2 5.4L LSD Trailer Tow Pkg
cured my nibble with four Kumho Ecsta STX 265/60-18

Old 04-15-2004, 11:54 PM
Oneagle1
Senior User
fanman2 (a.k.a. Fred),

Looking forward to the photos. If you get that increase in gas milage THAT will be a very nice added bonus to lowering the rear end. I'm going to order the shackles so they should be waiting for me on my return from Iraq. I would like to thank you and others on the FTE forums for their prayers and support for the safe return of all our fine folks deployed to fight terrorists.

I tried to post a picture of my hummer that I have nic-named "Ole Glory II" in honor of my 04 F-150 waiting for me at home. But because it isn't a TRUE Ford the link wouldn't complete the image transfer. Oh well we are doing good here, expecially when they get the convoys running again, but that would be for a different thread.

Again nice article and looking forward to some pics. Take care everyone.

Old 04-18-2004, 07:15 AM
Oneagle1
Senior User
gccch,

Man I aplogize for not responding to your string. I just realized I hadn't told you how good the level job on your screw looks. I hope to achieve a similar stance on my reg cab when all is done. I am down to about 85 days before I start to head back home. With the way travelling is in this theater it will take 3 or 4 days to get to Germany where I can catch a commercial flight back to Atlanta and then I'll be home!!!!

Old 04-18-2004, 07:26 AM
bigjack
Elder User
Keep your head down Oneagle1, my prayers are with you. Thank you for your service!

Old 04-18-2004, 09:13 AM
Oneagle1
Senior User
bigjack,

Thanks man and I will. Everyone over here appreciates the support of our folks back home. Looking forward to my return in 3 months time....

Old 04-28-2004, 08:56 AM
KevinJ.
New User
FanMan do you have any more photos of your truck being lowered

Old 04-28-2004, 09:02 AM
fanman2
Senior User
Kevin J.......

Sorry no photos yet.....

I am putting new tires on my truck late NEXT week, and will take photos after that.

FYI....I am putting on KUMHO "ECSTA STX", 285/60R18, solid blackwall, "V" rated, light truck/sport truck, M + S, tires on the factory stock alloy wheels that come on the Lariat.....

Fred

Old 04-28-2004, 09:05 AM
KevinJ.
New User
That should look really good. Do you recormend the leveling kit. How does it look compared to the stock look.

Old 04-28-2004, 09:45 AM
fanman2
Senior User
Kevin J.....

YES.....I do recommend the LOWERING kit......which consists of (2) new shackles with bushings.....which are ADVERTISED to lower the rear of the truck by 2.0".....but when installed, ONLY lower the rear end about 1.25"!! But that 1.25" lower rear end goes a long way towards getting rid of that characteristic pick-up truck "*** in the air" look.....

I think it looks really good, and with just that 1.25" lower rear end.....my truck corners better and flatter.....because the longitudinal axis/rerar center of gravity is now 1.25" lower. And, the overall ride quality is EXACTLY the same (SUPERB) as it was before I changed the shackles.

Fred

Old 04-28-2004, 09:49 AM
KevinJ.
New User
Fred,

Thanks for the information. I will look into getting the kit. Let me know when you get some pics of your truck up.

Old 04-28-2004, 02:59 PM
newtof150
Senior User
KUMHO "ECSTA STX"
Wise choice

Old 04-28-2004, 10:52 PM
GLankford
Junior User
Definately like to see the final product. I've got my 20" wheels on my screw which has really filled the front wheel wells, but I'd like to drop the back just a little to level and it sounds like your approach is the deal. I'm a little concerned about rear end "sag" though, because I haul a fairly heavy motorcycle trailer on occasion (the justification for buying a "real" truck!). If anyone is using one of these 2" kits and hauling a trailer, let me know how it's working out.

Old 05-02-2004, 12:04 AM
Oneagle1
Senior User
fanman2 and all,

I got good news on Friday, my son-in-law installed my Belltech lowering shackles for me and I have only 1 photo in my FTE gallery (can't seem to upload more than the one). But in my other gallery I managed to load several more (http://photopost/showgallery.php?cat...=2&si=oneagle1). My wife tells me it is much easier for her to get in and out now with her bumb knee. My son-in-law and daughter say it does sit about 2"s lower in the back which is what I wanted all along.
My son-in-law said it took him a little over an hour to install them in the back yard using 2 floor jacks and a pry bar. Let me know what you think. I'll try to get them to take more photos later.

Quick Reply: An Alternative for that "LEVEL" Look