1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Trans won't shift again. Any advice?

Old 04-12-2004, 11:41 PM
F2fan
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans won't shift again. Any advice?

Hey all. Need advice from experience, which I thought I had. Weeks ago truck wouldn't shift after a engine swap. I put in a running 226 6cyl. Swapped the other non-running one with a gent who rebuilds them. The engine has a 10" clutch, new disc, pilot bearing but original plate. First wouldn't shift, then I cleaned surfaces, There was some rust on the flywheel. And adjust clevis out towards engine. There is still lots of freeplay left, but , the bearing seems to be pushing the fingers in as far as it will go. It was shifting after that. This past weekend I had a few runs around the block and alleys and then the same event occurred. Can't shift when running. Gears clash. I can start in gear, and the clutch will slip enough to let me not lurch forward too much, but I cannot shift from nutral into any gear. Was really a sight for the neighbors, shifting then starting truck, shutting off then shifting to back into garage. It has a 4 spd non sync trans, and I have heard about double clutching, but do I need to do that to get into firts? Won't go into first no matter how many times I go back into nutral, etc. without shutting of truck. The swapped engine has a 10" clutch, book calls for 11" with 4 spd, but have been told by older guys that makes no diff really at low speeds and truck loads. I sure would like the 3 spd or 4 spd sync to check. Anyhow, what is any and all advice on problem? More clevis adjustment, new plate or other? Thanks.

Last edited by F2fan; 04-12-2004 at 11:44 PM.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:00 AM
2speed
Senior User
The clutch isn't releasing period. Syncros or diameter size aren't going to make a bit of difference. There is something wrong with your linkage, throw out bearing, or pressure plate. Unless your clutch flash rusted to the flywheel again.

Old 04-13-2004, 09:25 AM
stepman
Posting Guru
Sounds like the wrong press plate for that motor. Diameter shouldn't matter but height may be different. I'd try to adjust it up some more and see if it "bottoms out", if that don't do it , I would make sure that plate will work with that motor.

Old 04-13-2004, 10:13 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 331 Likes on 255 Posts
I chimed in on the msn board with my .02 and I don't know 226's. That said, is there any chance the crank is shuffling back and forth? Try prying gently around the pulley shaft up front to see if it moves. Or if you have the tranny off pry on the flywheel. Could it be a missing thrust bearing/washer?? 'bout the only other thing I can come up with.

Old 04-13-2004, 02:04 PM
59f100fixer
New User
i have a 94 pontiac grand am i don't know if it applies but it has troubles shifting every once in aa while too. some times when i start it the clutch sticks , even if the pedal is fully pressed. (results in a moving start.) after that it will not go into any gear i usually just turn it off, put it in 3rd, PUT THE PARKING BREAK ON, and start it the starter has always had the tourque to break the clutch free and it usually stays that way for 10,000 miles not sure if this will help or not

Search this Thread