2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think my vibration is gone

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 07:51 PM
04FX4
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think my vibration is gone

I had a thump, thump vibration between 58-62mph. I first tried lowering the air pressure to 34, it was around 35-36 before. This did not help. I noticed my vibration was worse after the tires were warm or it was hot outside, this does not seem to match others problems as they are reporting the vibration gets better after the tires are warmed up. We had a cold front here in Texas, temp is in the 50's. I had very little thumping this morning with the colder temps. This afternoon I bumped the air pressure up to 37 and I can not detect the once very obvious thumping. Before any of this I had the tires road forced balanced and I still had the vibration. This seems very strange to me but the vibration seems to be in remission. When it warms back up I will see if it reappears. Any tire gurus have a theory on why my vibration lessens when the outside temp drops? Thanks.

Old 04-12-2004, 08:17 PM
dusty1
Senior User
I'm certainly no guru, but I thought a "thump thump" sounds like a belt shifted, or a tire out of round. But if you already had the tires force load balanced, I'm not sure what it could be.

Here's one thought. Warmer temps might allow the tires to get flat spots faster than colder temps. How long does the truck sit? Just overnight, or do you drive more than one vehicle and therefore alternate vehicles like I do? I've heard that if you drive greater than 30 miles and still the thump-thump you can pretty much rule out a flat spot.

Old 04-13-2004, 12:00 AM
acarlisletx
Junior User
I've decided the BFGs on my truck don't like cold weather. The 70mph shimmy was barely noticeable for the last week. However, the temps were in the 50s today in Houston and when I left work I thought the front end was going to fall apart until the tires warmed up. Truck had been sitting for 9 hours in a parking garage. I have an hour commute and after 30 or 40 minutes the shimmy was back to its very subtle self.

Old 04-13-2004, 09:04 PM
n9jcv
New User
I would have the dealer replace the tires. I have the goodyear. I leave in IL. It has been mostly 30s lately, I have never had a problem like that. We have 30 below zero here in the winter and I still have never had a tire do that. I have a FX4 screw 18 inch Goodyear OEM stuff. No problems here. I am considering purchasing custom wheels for the summer, and run the OEMs in the winter.