1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Has anyone installed door speakers in 71 F100?

Old 04-12-2004, 04:39 PM
paradochs
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Has anyone installed door speakers in 71 F100?

Hey all, I'm lookin at throwin in the biggest speakers possible, up to 6x9's. I was wondering if anyone had done this before, and if I would need to waterproof the back of the speaker somehow. Please let me know what sizes work and anything else you know.

Travis

Old 04-12-2004, 06:01 PM
Pro-Street/StateTK
Posting Guru
If you do install them in the doors you should look for the waterproof covers for the back of the speakers because they will get wet.

Old 04-12-2004, 06:01 PM
jwtimme
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I put 5 1/4 in my doors. Yuo can buy a plastic cover that will protect the speakers from water. I used a pice of aluminum as a backer so that the screws would not pull out of the door panels. You can run the speaker wires over the door hinge, ziptie the wires to the hinge to keep the wires from getting pinched. I have seen 6 1/5 and 6x9 in these doors but I belive theses are too big. The magnets are heavy and may warp the stock door panels when you hit bumps the magnet will try and rip the speaker out of the door, if you have metal door panels it will not be that big of a deal.

Old 04-12-2004, 06:07 PM
1969FordF250
Freshman User
I put 6x9's in my 69 and they fit in perfect. Check out the pics in my gallery to see the speakers.

Old 04-12-2004, 06:45 PM
jamesdraughn
Freshman User
You might look at making some custom kick panels so you don't have to cut up your doors.

Old 04-12-2004, 09:06 PM
baitmaster
Posting Guru
door speakers

I installed 6X9's in my '72 doors. Cut panels to fit, and then had them covered with pleated cloth that matched my headliner, and seats. You do need to waterproof the magnet side. I used heavy plastic, but you can find plastic covers.

Old 04-14-2004, 01:49 PM
kevin71100
Senior User
Dude, don't cut up your doors. Instead head to a car stereo shop a ask to recommend a set of enclosed speakers. I have a set of Pioneer TS-150 mounted under my seat. They have good sound, are hidden and were only $120.00.

Old 04-14-2004, 05:51 PM
paradochs
Freshman User
I've got some speakers up in the dash, pointing down, and a couple behind the seat. I'm probably going to cut the door panels and put some 6x9's in them. I am not going to cut the door itself, cause that's going a little far, but the panel needs to be replaced within a few years anyway, so i'll probably try it and see what happens. Thanks for all the feedback. Keep it coming if there's more.
Travis

Old 04-15-2004, 12:04 AM
69highboy
Freshman User
Thumbs up

I used marine 6x9s because there waterproof, but dont get a speaker thats to deep or you wont get your window down all the way.

Old 04-15-2004, 10:01 AM
4X4BIGDOG
New User
Talking

I opted to stay away from the doors. Not much room and did'nt want to cut up the door panels. I mounted my 5" speakers in my 70 Ford f100 in the overhead. I just cut the hole, screwed in 3/4" corner round with ends mitered. I then just screwed the speaker to the corner round. Gives you some space between the speaker and the roof. Looks good and since the speakers are directly over your head, you don't have to crank it to hear it. Good luck.

Old 04-15-2004, 10:17 AM
supertrekie
New User
i have holes in the doors of my truck where I TRIED to install some 6x9's...i am not sure if i should keep them there...anyone have any sudgestions about what to do? i would like subs...and some decent speakers but i have a tank behind the seat. I have a 67 F-100.

Old 04-16-2004, 03:45 PM
paradochs
Freshman User
Subs are surprisingly easy to put in behind the seat, assuming you're willing to give up the gas tank.
1) Empty tank and switch input to other tank.
2) Remove connections and bolts, pull the tank out.
3) Plug connections (I just plugged them so I can possibly put the tank back some day, otherwise you can remove them completely.)
4) Obvious clean up/painting/ whatever.
5) Amp goes in center behind seat. Easy enough to fasten in between springs in the seat.
6) Custom box for subs. I built a 2 12" box that was over 5 feet wide. It is 8" at the bottom and 4" at the top. You have to buy the subs first so you can see the recommended enclosure size for the specific subs. If you have two subs in the same box, I recommend sealing the box into two compartments. Generally MDF is used for the box. 1/2" MDF should be fine. You will need plenty of screws and tons of caulk. It obviously must be airtight, which is where the caulk comes in. Put it on all sides when you build it, and then before you put the top on, go along all edges on the inside of the box. Be liberal with it.
7) Have a beer or 2 cause you've been working for hours on that damn box.
8) Wire it all up and see how it sounds.

Oh, yeah....
9) After everything's in and it works how you want, put some insulation/padding behind the box. Also, go around with superglue or a hammer or somethin and take care of all the damn rattles and vibrations and whatnot.

Good luck
any other questions email me paradochs@hotmail.com or just ask here

Old 04-16-2004, 08:46 PM
'70F100Owner
Junior User
Friend of mine took his tank out from behind the seat, and made one to go in the bed. It is pretty slick, and hidden by the toolbox. It is as wide as the bed, and as tall, and about 5-6" of bedspace lengthwise. Only thing above the bedsides is the filler neck and cap. It's about 30 gallons I think. He put 2 12"s back there but it's kinda jerry-rigged, but hes goin to redo the whole interior soon so it will be redone. BTW, '72 F-100, longbed, 360 with serious cam,, headwork, Edelbrock intake & carb, headers, .060 over and strroked alittle to 390, 2 STRAIGHT AS A FREAKIN ARROW 2.5" pipes with 3" tips straight out the back under the bumper. Talk about VERYY LOUD.

Old 04-17-2004, 08:55 AM
8NRay
Senior User
I put 6x9's in my doors. I looked at the Ford truck brochure for a 1971 pickup and noted in the pictures where the factory installed the speakers if you ordered the optional FM stereo radio. If you don't have access to a brochure they are located at the bottom of the door and back far enought to not intrude into the hinge pocket. My concern was that being down load the sound level and quality might suffer but it turns out it sounds great. I saved the cut out so that if I or someone else in the future decides they want to move the speakers, the panel can be welded back in. My thought was that if my 71 came with the stereo option it would have had the speakers where I mounted them so I was just doing what the factory would have done.

Old 04-17-2004, 03:02 PM
Fryzil
Senior User
I put 6" Pioneers in my doors, sound great and I dont have a poblem with them getting wet. I have a pic in my gallery.
Fry

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has anyone installed door speakers in 71 F100?