Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 08:00 AM
Thunder55
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help

Newbie here:
2001 F-150 v-6
5spd stepside shortbox with sport package. 17" wheels etc.
I have owned the truck since it had only 6 miles on it, now it's at 50,000.
No problems other then syncs went out of third gear a month after I bought it.
I even pulled my stockcar and a box full of equipment up and down the roads of Kansas.. out pulled my dads truck (302) by a land slide... that was a good day

I still love my truck but I feel it's time to "Re-freshen" it up a bit.
Currently looking at Boa F/X Avenger kit for looks and some interior mods BUT, I am an X race car driver ready for some serious ponies under the hood.

Looking for a list of hop ups/mods to do... thinking S/C for sure but am looking towards the experianced guys for help.

Any advice on what to purchase?
chip?
exhaust?
S/C?
Aftermarket clutch?

Also looking for a lowering kit as well if anyone can point me in the right direction for that.

Thanks guys!!!

Old 04-12-2004, 11:18 AM
Thunder55
New User
Anyone?

Please?

Old 04-12-2004, 11:24 AM
Busa01
Postmaster
Thunder, welcome.

There has been an ongoing thread created by Garrett (horizonhuskies) about his S/C that he recently installed. The thread is still going and is over 7 pages. If your interested in a supercharger, read the entire thread and post a question on that thread. Garrett is the local professional on 4.2 supercharger since he is one of the few of us that recently installed one.

here is the link..

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=210607

The thread also lists all mods that coincide with the S/C for maximum performance. Check it out.

Tom

Old 04-12-2004, 11:27 AM
Thunder55
New User
Thanks Tom!!!

But what about the other stuff?

Whats the first thing I should do to start off this new ongoing project?

Old 04-12-2004, 11:35 AM
Busa01
Postmaster
Well, if your going SC than don't do anything until you install it. Cause the SC will come with its own intake and chip. The most common (although not the best) exhaust here is the 40 series flowmaster. However, I think the Gibson is a much better performer, and more money. Decide on whether you want to go the S/C path (about 3,400.00 and 100 hp) before you spend money on anything else.

The biggest gains I've got in combo were the gear change from 3.55's to 4.10's and a Diablo chip. The 2 combined gained me a full second in the 1/4 mile. No other mod for that price will give you that much gain. All the other mods are a few horses here and there. MAC or AirRaid intakes are the most popular and yeild quite a few ponies, but you wont need one if your going to S/C.

If you want to do something right now, drop 4.10 gears and a limited slip diff in your rear. Cost you about 800.00 installed. If you do alot of towing, don't get a locker, stick with the limited slip. Get a clutchless one though, like a Zexel Torsen or an Eaton.

Tom

Old 04-12-2004, 12:45 PM
V6Mustang
Senior User
How much money you got?
Also is this truck your daily driver? Or do you have something else to drive?

I'd go with 4.10's, exhaust, ported heads, cam, S/C.

Old 04-12-2004, 12:57 PM
Thunder55
New User
This is my daily driver so I have to TRY and remember that...

SOOOooo... 4.10's with 17" wheels would put me rapping out pretty good at 80mph wouldn't it? I'll have to get the numbers off my rear end to see exactly what I have for gears now.. not for sure.

$3,400 for a S/C hmmm... ok, lets start else where lol

No towing at all... sold racecar.

Ported heads for a 4.2???!!!!!

Thanks for the advice!!!!!

Old 04-12-2004, 01:11 PM
Busa01
Postmaster
Well,

If your going to rule out an S/C, you can start with the Diablo chip and 4.10's. You won't scream on the highway. I had the same 17" wheels with the 30.5 diameter tires as you and I dropped 4.10's in. And with the Diablo chip eliminating the top speed governer, I was still able to get it over 115 mph. Not screaming. It's a very common modification, especially with the lesser powered motors.

The Diablo chip will give you a nice kick in the but, especially down low.

Also, go ahead and select the MAC, AirRaid or K&N intakes.

Try something other then the norm in exhausts. Try the Gibson, I've been reading alot about it lately. The problem with the Flowmaster is that they have a "Generalized" tune. They are all made the same no matter what vehicle you install them on. Supposedly, Gibson (like many motorcycle exhaust systems) tune their exhaust specifically for your vehicle to acheive the most power possible.

I actually lost some low end after I installed my Flowmaster. I was even considering replacing it with the Gibson.

Port and polish?? Maybe later, but there are some more basic stuff you can do first.

Also, an upgrade to the ignition system wouldn't be a bad idea. MSD wires and DIS Ignition.

Since you used to race, i'm surprised to never heard of "NITROUS OXIDE" or Spraying/boosting/nos ect. ect. I sprayed my truck for quite some time while running the quarter in it. I only got rid of it because i decided to lift my truck for mudding instead and gone astray from the racing scene. But for 500.00 bucks and a day or so for install, you can have up to 100 extra horses at a buttons push. And just as safe for your motor as ANY power adder, like S/C or Turbo Charging. They all perform the same task.

Tom

Old 04-12-2004, 01:38 PM
Thunder55
New User
Well of course I have HEARD of the "juice" but in dirt oval it doesn't help
I am completely ignorant when it comes to that stuff... all I've heard was in the past, dries out the cylinders... engines exploding etc etc.
100 horse shot doesn't hurt this 6 cylinders huh?

And as far as the exhaust... I'm WANTING to get get a system with a deep throaty kind of sound.. the v6's I hear around here are pingy.. does that make since???

KEEP THE ADVICE COMING!!!
I'm writing this all down... the wife is gonna be plumb excited when I show her this list

Old 04-12-2004, 03:27 PM
true4.2
Postmaster
Ok, here's my take, and it's always the best anyways! j/j

1. Go to motorhaven.com and order the MAC intake and Diablo chip.
2. (and this is a new one for you elder FTE'ers) I have seen a muffler called the Flowtech Warlock that is hands down the BEST free-flow muffler around. I'll have to go do some research to get a link with a picture, but here's why: The muffler is a SIDO (single in dual out) muffler, but the design is different on the inside. It comes with a cap that you can put in one of the outlets to make it run quieter, but if you uncap it is a straight freeflow muffler with no restriction at all, thus making more hp than you could get off a normal muffler.
3. GET THE 4.10's!
4. Get an LSD <-- ask Tom about which is best, he's had plenty of experience.
5. Other mods consist of E-Fans, Pulleys, Cam Gears (which are also a VERY nice power upgrade), ported, yes ported, heads, Throttle Body, Headers, High Flow Cats, and other mods as well.

www.motorhaven.com <--chip and intake
www.texasmotorsports.com <--contact Mike and he can hook you up with a killer set of 4.10's for $169, and he has LSD's and other stuff
www.macperformance.com <--headers
www.jbaperformance.com <--more headers

anyhoot, any more questions?

Old 04-12-2004, 03:57 PM
Thunder55
New User
stupid question... LSD? I probably know this but mind went blank (happens often)

Texas site is for motorcycles?
Mac performance didn't have a header listing for a 4.2???
And the last site was a personal site? Didn't say anything about headers..

Old 04-12-2004, 05:10 PM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
Limited Slip Differential

JBA has headers, I tihnk MAC does...perhaps it is one of the other companies.
Get the cheaper of the two, only differance is the coating, get it coated at Jet-Hot (I recoomend getting the Ford Blue 2000) cheap headers are now better than the others, for the same price (cost is like 250 for coating)

you can always ditch the spare for wieght, put in some racing seats my truck reg cab short bed 5spd weighs in at 4268 with me in it (140 lbs) with all origianl equipment installed except center caps

TIRES!!!! GET GOOD TIRES!!! one of the biggest mods you can do is spending 650 on some tires, or even less if you can find the size you want in Kuhmos (some of the best on the market, like 90 bucks a tire)

A slight drop should also help, a 2/3 or 2/4 drop, 2/3 will keep a raked look, 2/4 will lvl the truck, you could go lower, I think we can actually do a 6 inch drop in the rear by removing the rubber stoppers and not have to worry about hitting teh frame ( we have like 8-10 inches clearance unlike chebbies which have like 5 inches and with a 3 inch drop hit the frame)

MAF, if an auto, get a shift kit; bed cap; put in a lower temp thermostat; better plugs/wires; ditch ANY replaceable stock part....oh yeah Remove and Replace motor with a blown V10 w/ NOS... :P ok joking....

GL let us now what you decide

Old 04-13-2004, 09:32 AM
true4.2
Postmaster
The MAC site doesn't list the headers. You get the contact number (which is toll free) and order them by phone. The site gets you the number

I might have messed up the jba website, but they have headers also...just more expensive.

210-337-6948 <--This is his contact info and he will be more than happy to help you out with the LSD and gears PLUS he has other parts for our trucks too. Hope that clears things up.