1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Why do some people sell 48-60 so cheap

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 10:57 AM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any vehicle or item for that fact is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay for it. Right now 50's car and trucks are desirable and people will pay lots of money to have one. Remember the Bennie Baby crazy, some of those sold for $1000.

The people who sell these trucks look at shows like Barret Jackson and think hell I have one of these out in the field doing nothing but rusting it has to be worth at least 10% of what they are getting. What they don't know is about the only thing you can say for sure about those trucks or cars is that the sheet metal is original.

People like us not only enjoy owning but restoring this old iron. As such we are not willing to pay the prices some people ask for thier trucks. We don't know what has been done to it or what the true problems are. For me its the joy of creating something. I'm planning on putting 30-40k into my truck. Will it be worth that much when finished, maybe but only to the right buyer. But I really don't care, it won't be for sale. I will have something that no other person has, a truck built and designed by me. It will fit my needs and be unique. This is the reason I do this. It would be easier to go down to the dealer and plunk down 40k on a brand new desiel or SUV but it would not be the same.

Last edited by tmyers; 04-12-2004 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:43 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I can tell you one thing, when I drive down the street im '04 Dodge I don't get 1% of the attention I get when I fire up the '49 F-2 and chug down the road. I put about $3000 and a lot, I mean a lot, of blood , sweat and tears in this old beast that I would never get compenstated for if I tried to sell it, which I will never do. It was my dad's truck, or at least the axles, transmission and radiator, and right there is a cost that can't be paid for with any amount of money. It's great to go to a show and talk to people about old trucks, especially the old farmers and contractors who used them as the meant to be, work trucks.

I have stated many times on this forum that I personally thing anyone who takes someone elses pile of rusted junk, most of the time multiple piles from different people, and builds a restored vehicle have to be the craziest nuts in the world but that never seems to stop me from thinking about the next project before the current is even finished. I truely thinks it's a sickness (I hope they never find a cure for it )

Old 04-12-2004, 11:46 AM
chitown65
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am just starting to look at 53 to 56 f100's. I live in Chicago and will be heading to Wisconsin this weekend to look at a 54. If anyone has some leads or knows someone that is looking to sell please let me know.

Thanks

Old 04-12-2004, 12:58 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Chitown, don't be put off by the ugly grill. The 53 & 55 grills bolt right on in its place. When you see the truck, try to imagine what you will want to do to it. Estimate the costs very high. Then subtract the estimate from what your ultimate spending goal is. If the result is near the asking price, then you may have found your truck. Ask the seller lots of potential cost questions. This will give him a chance to see that what he has is not such a great deal. (IE: Mr Seller, do you happen to know how much it costs for a new engine, tranny, rear end, windshield, door, etc. etc. Good luck, John

Old 04-12-2004, 01:23 PM
chitown65
Junior User
What kind of price ranges are we talking for one of two kinds of trucks. First, clean and straight stock with sound running gear or second. clean and straight with bad mechanicals (engine/transmission)? I just restored a 65 Vette and feel very comfortable with mechanical work and have zero skills for body and paint.

Old 04-12-2004, 02:01 PM
Fordication
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jag Red 54
Hey Chitown, don't be put off by the ugly grill. The 53 & 55 grills bolt right on in its place. When you see the truck, try to imagine what you will want to do to it. Estimate the costs very high. Then subtract the estimate from what your ultimate spending goal is. If the result is near the asking price, then you may have found your truck. Ask the seller lots of potential cost questions. This will give him a chance to see that what he has is not such a great deal. (IE: Mr Seller, do you happen to know how much it costs for a new engine, tranny, rear end, windshield, door, etc. etc. Good luck, John

What the hell do you mean ugly grill. I will have you know it looks masculine unlike those frilly things I see on the other trucks. Darn carpet baggers.

Old 04-12-2004, 04:41 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OOPS, I guess I should be more politically correct. It should have been beauty challenged, not ugly. As I was growing up, I had a nephew with a nose a lot like a 54 Ford. We had to tie a pork chop around his neck just so the dog would play with him!! Just kidding Ed, John

Old 04-12-2004, 05:55 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Fordication, thanks for correcting Red 54. You got to it before I could! If one changes what is one of the few things that distiguish a '54 from a '53 or '55 you might as well call it a 53 or a 55!!!
But the old saying still holds true: it is your truck and you can do anything you want with it!! (and we will still like you... and let you in our club.)

Old 04-12-2004, 07:06 PM
sancochojoe
Senior User
Its fun watching the 53-55 crowd talk about the uglieness of their models knowing the 51-52 will always be the best looking with the 48-50, a strong second.

sorry guys, i just wanted to get in on the fun

Old 04-12-2004, 07:53 PM
49f-3
New User
Here in northern Michigan it seems as though there are fewer and fewer vehicles around each year. Lots of townships frown on anything without a license plate on it. A lot of the great old vehicles get hauled to the junkyard. I have a 49 f-3 that I bought for $100. I have put quite a few bucks into it, but it ran after some tinkering, and came with most all of the parts. These Michigan winters and the salted roads really made a mess out of a lot of the classics. It sure is fun when you spot an old effie tucked behind a barn or out in the field. Jim 49 f-3 wet sanding today[in the garage- it's still in the low 40's up here today]

Old 04-12-2004, 08:25 PM
Fordication
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey just admit it. Anything newer then a 56 just has no sex appeal and needs to sell cheap like a bad woman.