Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

7.3L Navistar Turbo Diesel VS. 7.3L Power Stroke Turbo Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2001, 07:19 PM
logan_85
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have posted this question a few time before, but so far I haven't got a good answer. I will be getting a '94 F-350 with a 7.3L Navistar Turbo Diesel, however in '94.5 the 7.3L Powerstroke Turbo Diesel was introduced(?). So far I haven't seen many signs that their is any difference between the 7.3L Navistar Turbo Diesel and the 7.3L Powerstroke Turbo Diesel, besides fancy Powerstroke labels on the '94.5 engine. Is the 7.3L Navistar Turbo Diesel the same as the 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel(excpet for the labels)? Will add-ons for the Powerstroke work with the '94 Navistar Turbo Diesel? Or would I have to look for add-ons specifically for the 7.3L Navistar Turbo Diesel?

Logan

Old 02-21-2001, 07:35 PM
DannyP
Elder User

I am not a diesel owner, but if I understand correctly, the Powerstrokes do not have an injection pump and are Direct injected, whatever that means. If this is true, from all I heard on this site, I would rather have the old version with the injection pump. I just think there would be less to go wrong and the repair bills would be lower.

DannyP
89 F-150 4x4 former EFI I-6 now carbed 351W, Edelbrock heads,cam,intake,carb.
MSD 6A, ZF, Sterling 10.25 with 3.55L's.

Old 02-21-2001, 07:41 PM
otto
Posting Guru

Both motors are navistar and the pre 94.5 isnt direct injected like the powerstroke and isnt factory turbo, i believe, if it is turbo it probably an add on turbo by banks ot ats or something along those lines, the powerstroke built a name quick which is not something you can say about the non turbo 7.3 which never made a name or significant change in the way people regard light duty diesel trucks, drive a idi ( in direct injection) 7.3 truck and drive a powerstroke the powerstroke's power speaks for itself

Old 02-21-2001, 07:48 PM
logan_85
Senior User

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 21-Feb-01 AT 08:48 PM (EST)[/font][p]Otto, the engine came with a factory turbo.

Old 02-21-2001, 08:04 PM
otto
Posting Guru

well sir i dont know what to tell you then, the powerstroke uses high pressure engine oil to accutate the injectors, does yours have in injection pump ?

Old 02-21-2001, 09:01 PM
fordiesel69
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The pre powerstrokes are called the 6.9/7.3 IDI (In-direct Injection). In 1993.5 to 1994.5 there was a special 7.3IDI specially designed for a turbo. It has bigger piston pins, heavier pistons, and also some kind of hardened valves. The turbo was produced by ATS. This engine is very strong and DURABLE, if it is tuned just right it will cook the stock powerstrokes. I like this engine because it is easy to work on and is not very expensive to fix. The powerstrokes are very expensive being that the injectors are about $350 each. The powerstrokes are also electronically controlled, and you all know what that means! "Failures"

Old 02-21-2001, 09:09 PM
otto
Posting Guru

are you saying that mechanical injector pumps dont fail and are cheap and easy to rebuild? anything mechanical is prone to failure and breakage if we stayed with the technology we had we would be starting on gas and switching over to diesel once the motor warmed up the fact is that their are better methods to all of this and more and more you will be seeing this tecnology used everywhere not just on the injectors, wait till they debut the the camless diesel with solenoid operated valve train no doubt it will have problems for a little while but once refined it will be the best diesel yet so i cant see how anyone wouldnt want to be a nation in motion

Old 02-22-2001, 04:09 PM
logan_85
Senior User

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 22-Feb-01 AT 05:13 PM (EST)[/font][p]Thank you for clearing up for me that my engine is "rare". Do you know any web-sites that specalive in tuning the '94 7.3L IDI with the ATS turbo? and do you know if the turbo is waste-gated?

Ithought I should add in that I have seen diesel engines converted to run gas. They don't work very well and they won't last very long, not to mention the power/RPMs, on the engines I saw, it would have ben far better to simply keep the engine as a diesel. Remeber GMCs biggest diesel mistake, the 350 diesel? real piece of junk. It might be possible to start an engine with gas, but gas engines run at far lower temperatures than diesels. The idea probbably has passed designers minds before, but I think it is far better to continue starting our engines with diesel.

Logan

Old 02-22-2001, 05:04 PM
cgl
Posting Guru

Banks makes a power pack for that Diesel. Check out http://www.bankspower.com/Ford.cfm They should have what you're looking for.

Old 02-22-2001, 11:29 PM
whd507
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe otto was talking about old WWII technology diesels that were started on gasoline (carburators, ignition systems, plugs and all) and then when warm, would be switched over to diesel. then glowplugs were perfected and that old tech was obsolete. just like the 7.3IDI is obsolete compared to the 7.3 PSD, and like the 7.3 PSD will be obsolete when the 6.0 camless comes out. I prefer the powerstroke over the IDI every time and in every way. totally different engine, and totally better.

Old 02-24-2001, 08:40 PM
The Diesel Dude
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the skinny on the Navistar/Ford diesel engines: In 1994 you could get either engine. The IDI (indirect injected) engine could be had with or without a turbocharger. Those engines will be painted gray. The Power Stroke Turbo Diesel is painted black. Most of the manual transmission equipped 1994's will have the Power Stroke whereas all of the automatics had the IDI engine. If you need more information I'll try and get it for you (I work for Navistar). E-mail me at -removed-

Old 02-25-2001, 11:23 AM
logan_85
Senior User

Do you think it would be very hard/easy to replace the 7.3L IDI with a PowerStroke if the engine ever goes bad? What were the stock hp/torqu numbers fot the 7.3L IDI with ATS turbo?

Logan

Old 02-25-2001, 03:53 PM
dover
Junior User

The pre psd are indirect injection(IDI) the spd are direct injection(DI). The psd uses (heui) Hydralic Electronic Unit Injectors instead of an injection pump and injection nozzles. It also has a lot higher injection presures than the old ones. Hope this we be of some use.

Old 02-25-2001, 03:59 PM
dover
Junior User

Danny,

The psd uses Hydraulic Electric Unit Injectors which are much more efficiant than a pump, there is also a built in safty, since the injectors uses engine oil to inject, if you are two low on oil the engine will not run.

Old 02-25-2001, 06:59 PM
otto
Posting Guru

>I believe otto was talking about
>old WWII technology diesels that
>were started on gasoline (carburators,
>ignition systems, plugs and all)
>and then when warm, would
>be switched over to diesel.
>then glowplugs were perfected and
>that old tech was obsolete.
>just like the 7.3IDI is
>obsolete compared to the 7.3
>PSD, and like the 7.3
>PSD will be obsolete when
>the 6.0 camless comes out.
>I prefer the powerstroke over
>the IDI every time and
>in every way. totally different
>engine, and totally better.

That is exactly the point i was trying to make thank you for clarifying this to them , technology makes old stuff obsolete !

Quick Reply: 7.3L Navistar Turbo Diesel VS. 7.3L Power Stroke Turbo Diesel