1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Heater/Wiper

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 03:34 PM
helge
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Heater/Wiper

Can anyone tell me how to get the heatermotor demonting?
I can`t find any screws in the engineroom.

Also, there are two wipermotors in my truck, but they are not atached to each other,
just the motor right on the wiper with wire connected to them.
Is there something missing, or is this some aftermarked stuff?

Old 04-10-2004, 05:30 PM
Goobzilla
Elder User
Hi Helge,

There should be nuts on the firewall in the engine compartment that you have to remove to pull the heater out. There are either 3 or 4 of them, I forget right now, but I'll walk out to the shop and check.

Ron

Old 04-10-2004, 06:15 PM
helge
Junior User
Thanks Ron, run to the shop, meening what, in Norwegian??

Old 04-10-2004, 08:45 PM
Goobzilla
Elder User
That means I'll go out to my garage and take a look. OK, I did, there should be 3 nuts holding the heater box to the firewall. One of them is between where the heater hoses go on the heater core, so it might be a little hard to see. Let me know if you need a picture and I'll go out and snap one.

Ron

Old 04-11-2004, 04:22 PM
helge
Junior User
Yes please

I am sorry to say, but I do really need a picture, If you can run to the shop and snap a picture
Thanks Ron
The snow is falling down here in Norway, so I desperat need the heater

Old 04-11-2004, 04:57 PM
Goobzilla
Elder User
Ask and ye shall recieve!

Here's a picture of the back of the heater box, notice the three studs?

And here's a picture of how it looks sitting on the fire wall:

Let me know if you need more info, no one (especially in Norway) should have to make do without a heater.

Ron

Old 04-11-2004, 05:07 PM
helge
Junior User
Just thinking?

Thanks Ron the pictures.Just what I needed.
But I start thinking: The heater stoped after a few minutes, my car have a 12v system, with new wiring, is all the heatermotors 6V or is there 12V motors?
The heatermotor is as far as I can tell original.
Can there be a regulator 12V-6V in the heaterswitch, I saw a extra wire with orange color, a loose end at the switch and a loose end at the heatermotor.
Greatful for any answers

Old 04-11-2004, 05:12 PM
Goobzilla
Elder User
Glad the pics helped. As far as the motor goes, I will defer that to someone else with some good electrical knowledge. Electricity is not my friend.

Ron

Old 04-12-2004, 07:05 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by helge
Thanks Ron the pictures.Just what I needed.
But I start thinking: The heater stoped after a few minutes, my car have a 12v system, with new wiring, is all the heatermotors 6V or is there 12V motors?
The heatermotor is as far as I can tell original.
Can there be a regulator 12V-6V in the heaterswitch, I saw a extra wire with orange color, a loose end at the switch and a loose end at the heatermotor.
Greatful for any answers
Helge,

What year is your truck? If it's a 56, the heater motor will be 12V. If prior to 56 and it's the original heater, it will be 6V. I've seen 6V heaters run on 12V system through a rheostat and as long as you run it on low it will last a long time. However, if you push 12V through it, it will fry which may have already happened...

Vern

Old 04-12-2004, 08:18 AM
airwick51
Senior User
I see from your profile that you have a 55- that means an original 6 volt heater motor. If you are using 12 volts without a voltage reduction youve just fried your motor. You have two options-either buying a new 12 volt heater motor( I bought mine from mid-fifty)or you can have my old 6 volt motor for free but then you must use a voltage reducer.

Old 04-12-2004, 11:27 AM
helge
Junior User
Not sure anymore

I thought I have a 55, but I am not sure anymore:
There has been done a lot of changes on my truck, more and more is discovered as I demont. the car.
So I can`t really tell if the heater is 12 or 6 or a 55 or a 56
I primed my hut today, and discovered brakefuel leak, petrolleak, and a lot
of screws that is loose, and I meen a lot
Also tried to figure out the new wiring, I seem to have two sets of instruments, the originale, and some extra round type.
And they all ends up in the engineroom, NOT CONN TO ANYTHING
Must say, this is not one of my good days
Why can`t people just stick to the originale

Old 04-13-2004, 04:19 PM
vrongpeis
Junior User
i`m sorry to hear this Helge, hope you can clear all your electrical problems soon. i know how you feel right now cause i have the same problem. 50 years of loose ends , double wires that go to nothing and back + past the firewall !!!!! All easter holiday i`ve been tearing out old, broken as useless wires(a full plastic bag!!)
All new wires are being laid out now, also got hold of a 7 series BMW fuse- box to be hidden(incorporated) in front / left kick-panel, with a 6.5"woofer alongside. must also find a heater-box from a donor-car when it is up and running again.
keep us posted helge.
steven

Old 04-14-2004, 06:40 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by helge
I thought I have a 55, but I am not sure anymore:
So I can`t really tell if the heater is 12 or 6 or a 55 or a 56
Helge,

According to the pictures of the truck in your gallery it looks like a 55 to me. So, if the heater is the original and the heater motor was not changed to 12 volts, it is a 6 volt heater. Sometimes it's easier to tear out all the old wires and just start over with a new harness than to try and track down the old ones...

Vern

Old 04-14-2004, 04:07 PM
helge
Junior User
A new day...

Yes Greatnorthwood, I agree, byt my trouble is that the preowner have changed to a new wireset from Johns F-Fun but there is a lot of wire ending in nothing in the engineroom, and there are no documentation on where to conn. these loose wire.
One ex. there are a tree or four wire going from the dash instrument to the engine, one red/white to the ground of the coil, and one white/red that seem to fit to the tempsender unit in front, but I don`t know. Also a brown wire conn. to nothing and anotherone going to a sendingunit in front of the carb, oilunit a guess.
If someone have a diagram of the wireset from Johns F-Fun or a really good idea how to do this, I will be wery, very greatful, It is still cold here in Norway

Old 04-15-2004, 08:01 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Helge,

I would not be overly concerned with wires that end up in the engine compartment that are not connected unless something that should be working is not working. It is possible that the wires are extraneous. Perhaps the PO got a wire kit that included a future installation of A/C, or it could have been for an electronic ignition that is not installed, or for an electric choke which may or may not be present, an electric fan, etc., etc., etc. There's just no way to know that without the instruction sheet. Some of the better wire kits like Ron Francis and Painless have the purpose and destination of the wire marked on the wire itself every few inches. Have you checked that? Can you determine the manufacturer of the wiring system? It may be on the fuse box. I do not know offhand what brand of wiring kits John's F-Fun carries, but it is probably one of the major manufacturers of wiring kits. Even within wiring kits there will be differing instructions for different model kits, so what you really need to come up with is the manufacturer AND the kit model in order to locate the instructions. I hate to say it, but you may be better off starting over with a new kit if you are unable to trace down the wires...

Vern