1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

49 F-1 w/351W frame question & others

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 09:55 PM
painterman
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
49 F-1 w/351W frame question & others

OK, I got my 351W engine and Im gonna get a C-4 Auto this weekend. I bought and have a tubular engine mount from Speedway Motors. Id like to use the original radiator with a engine fan but if I have to go electric, so be it. Before I begin, Im hoping someone out theres been thru this.
Do I leave the original motor mounts in (are they going to be in my way)? Are they neccessary for structural support?
Do I try to use the original tranny mount in the truck or get rid of it? (Is the tranny mount needed for structual support?)
Im using the stock front end with original brakes except Im going to try to mount a more modern master cylinder on the firewall, I hope.
So much time so little money, thanks a lot! frank

Old 04-09-2004, 07:23 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Frank,

Plan on removing the motor mount supports as they will be in the way and really offer no structural support to speak of. Some here have used the original tranny support, but my guess is it will have to come out. I'm using a TH350 in my 48 and tried to use the original tranny crossmember, but it placed the transmission too high and would have required reworking the floor to make it work. You may be able to remove just the center section of the original crossmember and bridge the gap with a homemade mount of some kind, but I'd just take it out and replace it with an aftermarket tranny support. Check John Niolon's excellent article on mounting hanging pedals and a firewall mounted master cylinder. I will be doing the same on my 48. So far, it looks like I will be able to run a manual fan on my 48, but the 351 is a few inches longer than a SBC, so I can't say for sure on that...

Vern

Vern

Old 04-09-2004, 10:07 PM
Magic
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frank ! A 351 and a C-4 will go into a 49 ford easy and a 4-core Ford radiator works to,with a stock non-electric fan. Why I know its a gal that is a member of FTE that has 2 big block 460 Ford trucks, have not seen any of her post lately , She goes by the nick name of "TryMe". And she has a email address of tracymart@hotmail.com. She is from Texas, and While I was visiting a friend there, he took me by her shop. I can tell You much about the trucks as to what it took,to install the motors. But they are 3 nice trucks. Shes has a 1940 351W 4speed Ford P.U., A 1950 460 carb.- C-6 P.U. And a 1952 modified 460EFI-5speed Mercury P.U. That she took me for a ride in, it screams. The engine compartment looks normal in all of them.Except for the big motor and radiator. You never believe her latest creation. Looking out of place in the corner of her shop was a stock looking 1968 V.W. Bug,I joked about it,until she told me to go look at it closer. Opening the stock looking front hood I found a 351 windsor with a AEO trans. in it. It was almost completed. tube frame and a 9 inch rear. What a surprize. Its spose to be a lil street sleeper when finished. And Im sure it will surprize a few mustangs. I looks like a stock V.W. And quiet,I think its running to caddy mufflers. So a 351 can be put in anything.