1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Bumpers

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 05:03 PM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Bumpers

Ok, I've messed around with different bumper idea's [could not locate a suitable 59/60 deluxe like I wanted, 55-59 C---Y does not work like I was told, and I have not made the neccessary mods to the 69 D---e I do have] and now it's time for bumpers. I have decided that I will go with stock for now. I can buy chrome ones for about the same $'s as stainless. It looks like I can buy chrome now, but stainless maybe a month or so wait. I don't want to wait,---but ---. Does anyone have any experience with either one that might prove helpfull in the decision making process? Thanks.

Old 04-09-2004, 07:47 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Joe,

Stainless is forever...does that tell you where I'm going on this?

Most reproduction chrome bumpers are flash chromed in China or somewhere like that and will not hold up over the years. In fact, some companies selling them tell you it is not a show quality bumper. If you have an original bumper rechromed by a reputable plating shop chances are it will be a quality piece and last a long time but plan on paying almost the same as for a stainless one. If it were my truck and I could afford either, I'd go stainless. On my last project I used polished stainless bumpers front and rear and when I sold the car in 2002, the bumpers looked just as good as they did when I installed them in 1989...

Vern

Old 04-09-2004, 01:09 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have had bumpers rechromed. They look great at first but over time they can develope splotches or shadows. Also, if you should happen to bump into something the chrome and nickle will crack/break, allowing water to get in and start corrosion. Go with SS. Order from Dennis Carpenter for the best quality. Good luck, John

Old 04-09-2004, 02:54 PM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Thanks, Vern and John. I do appreciate the input. Joe

Old 04-09-2004, 10:09 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Agree, most affordable chrome bumpers are not very good quality. You're lucky if they even bother to chrome the edges and backside. You can polish S/S up nice. I run S/S bolts in my chrome bumper and nobody ever notices because the shine is so close.

Old 04-13-2004, 02:50 AM
Rob Milner
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking for bumpers for my '59 F100. After reading the thread it looks as though I want stainless. Anyone know where I can pick up a set? Looked into Dennis Carpenter but nothing for a '59. Will another year work?
Also I'm looking for a nice set of mirrors. The truck has huge after market towing mirrors on it and I want it to look like it belongs on the street, not hauling manure around a farm. Thanks.

Old 04-13-2004, 09:46 AM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
Rob, nobody makes any 57-60 bumpers(chrome or stainless) a 53-56 rear bumper works on thr back of the our trucks, but I don't have any suggestions for the front. www.dennis-carpenter.com has a nice set of round mirrors. -4speed

Old 04-13-2004, 02:45 PM
Rob Milner
Junior User
4speed,
Thanks a lot for the info. The front bumper is salvageable, just a small tweak in it. I don't think it's correct but it fits, just needs a rechrome. It's been painted. The back I definetely need. It's some home made job welded together with different parts of iron. Looks great. Not! I'll look into that site to see what I can find for the mirrors. I assume the mirrors originally mounted on that large ear that sticks out by the hinge. Thanks again.

Old 04-15-2004, 06:04 PM
Keahi73
Senior User
Hey Joe, with a little bit of fabrication (brackets) the 55 Chebby will work. If you would like some pics let me know. I'm back at the drawing board for a better bracket though...ours function, but I think they are ugly. The Old Man has one(55 bowtie bumper) on "HIS" Panel and it looks good. (I must have been a good girl last year, I got a "new/old" truck for my birthday. So the panel is his now.)

Old 04-16-2004, 04:44 PM
helge
Junior User
Originally Posted by Rob Milner
I'm looking for bumpers for my '59 F100. After reading the thread it looks as though I want stainless. Anyone know where I can pick up a set? Looked into Dennis Carpenter but nothing for a '59. Will another year work?
Also I'm looking for a nice set of mirrors. The truck has huge after market towing mirrors on it and I want it to look like it belongs on the street, not hauling manure around a farm. Thanks.
Look at www.johnsf100.com, you will find bumpers and mirrors

Old 04-17-2004, 03:52 PM
Rob Milner
Junior User
Thanks for the site. Lots of fun stuff that I'm looking for. I can almost hear the cash register tones in my head as I add up my wish list. There goes next weeks check!

Old 04-19-2004, 01:29 PM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Keahi73, not sure if you rec'd my email. Pics. would be super, especially side and top views. I can make the brackets, and don't mind cutting off the frame horns. I just don't want to do it untill I'm sure the bumper will work. Thanks again.

Old 04-20-2004, 12:21 AM
Keahi73
Senior User
Hi Joe! I took some shots, but am trying to resize them, as they are huge! (I'm still earning how to use my digi-cam.) I'll try and get them up by tomorrow for you. The frame horns on our panel was already cut off when I bought the frame, so we fabricated the brackets. I have a shot of the front of the truck without the bumper on as well, so you can see what it looks like.

Old 04-20-2004, 08:14 AM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Thanks, I'll be patient. I appreciate the help. Joe

Old 04-20-2004, 01:26 PM
55Bubba
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anybody check out National Parts depot (NPD) or LMC truck for the bumpers? I seem to remember some somewhere!

Bubb a

Quick Reply: Bumpers