Sponsored by: DP Tuner

block heaters, no plug in

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2000, 05:12 PM
dinosaurfan
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey dieselers, I'm looking for an engine heater that burns diesel oil to keep warm, have read about a Webasto but don't know where to buy one. I need heat to help starting in the cold, but my work didn't go for the idea of me being plugged in at work and my buddys cabin has only 12V power. How do you keep it warm where there is no electric? DF

Old 12-05-2000, 09:28 PM
fatforty
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I live in the northeast and don't plug my truck in if the glow plugs are working properly you should be able to start it in really cold weather. sometimes I let mine sit until the light flashes a second time then start it but it always starts without the heater. Check the glow plugs you might have one or two bad ones that will give you a real problem starting on a cold morning. JOHN (FATFORTY)

Old 12-05-2000, 10:52 PM
jda
Junior User

This is my first diesel, and I had to have a couple of glow plugs replaced after I got the truck (1987 6.9 liter). So far, I have started it on a fourteen degree morning and it started fine after I let the glow plugs cycle twice. I turned the key and the engine cranked for maybe three or four seconds and started. I have heard they will start down to really cold temps this way. Also, I had my alternator rebuilt from the stock 70 or so amp up to 140 amp with the correct voltage regulator added. This should help the batteries recharge much quicker and keep them ready for cold weather starts. And I also want to someday add a winch and/or a plow.

Old 12-05-2000, 11:32 PM
fatforty
Posting Guru

Hi, I live right on the bay so I get a really nasty wind chill blowing on the truck in the winter (IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE) as long as all of the glow plugs are working the only advantage I have found is the heater works faster if it is plugged in I tried it just to see what the difference was when I got my truck I have an 86 f250 4x4 with a 6.9L 150000 miles runs great.
JOHN (FATFORTY)

Old 12-06-2000, 06:41 PM
dinosaurfan
Cargo Master

perhaps I should explain just a little more- it always bothered me that when going to town for groceries or whatever, the truck feels nice and warm just as I arrive. Then, after shopping for less than an hour, the truck is stone cold. Doesn't get all the way heated up until all the way home. No place to plug in at the store. I rather like all the cold, but my wife does not. If the truck was warm from the start she might be more likely to go with me than sending me alone. At work there is no place to plug in, meaning I must warm up the truck in the lot. If the truck were already warm I could be heading for home alot sooner. DF

Old 12-06-2000, 08:54 PM
fatforty
Posting Guru

that part is just because you are part of the diesel clan!!!!LOL
JOHN (FATFORTY)

Old 12-14-2000, 01:27 PM
tripp
Freshman User

Do like I do, keep a spare key in your pocket and lock the doors with the truck running...

Tripp

Old 12-14-2000, 07:12 PM
jconnor
New User

The highlights to the block heater are 3 things:

1) Primary reason to use the heater is to Keep Fluids warm so on startup doesnt take quite as long to circulate and you get less wear and tear.

2) Allows you to use your Heater and Defrost from the get go, not wait 15min like previous gentlemen said.

3)When anything gets cold it expands and then warms and contracts. If you use the heater you get less overall chance of cold weather engine problems.

Just my 2 cents.

JConnor

2001 SD Crew Sbox 4x4 PowerStroke

Old 12-15-2000, 04:03 PM
toolmnmike
New User

After having spent 9 winters in Alaska, heres how I did it! First off, block off the grill a lil with a cover that snaps in place or cardboard. This will let the engine get warm when goin down the road. Monitor yur temp closely and add or remove as needed to keep the temp in the normal range.
Now onto the block heater deal. Thet sell a propane powered heater. Its the external canister type, hooked inline between the radiator and heater hose. You light the lil burner simular to a camp stove burner and yur on yur way. Check witha heavy equipment dealer to get one. They work great. good luck and post back to let us know how you made out.

Mike

Old 12-16-2000, 12:28 PM
dinosaurfan
Cargo Master

Mike- now we are talking! sounds like you have seen the same kind of thing I saw, light it and leave it for the night. Do they have a way to circulate the water? I have the fantasy of running a hose back to the trans and T-case with a coil or two of steel line runnig thru the PTO plates and back out again. I have noted that my four speed is next to impossible to shift when the truck has sat overnight in the cold, gear lube and sub-zero temps don't like each other. I am going to look at the oil forum and see if anyone has good luck in the cold with synthetics. DF

Old 12-16-2000, 12:38 PM
mainef250
New User

Dinosaurfan....While watching TNN a year ago I came upon a mechanic show called shadetree mechanic. The mechanic on the show had a Dodge Ram Cummins that he installed a Diesel-Fired heater on. It is a unit that mounts to the frame and is about the size of a computer speaker. It keeps the truck's antifreeze nice and warm all the time. If you searched the net under ESPAR HEATER you might find it. Hope this helps. MaineF250

Old 12-16-2000, 12:41 PM
mainef250
New User

Just found the site, it is www.espar.com. All you need to know is right there.

Old 06-19-2001, 07:24 PM
forddude
New User

I had no where to plug my F-800 in, so I bought a small Coleman generator for around $350 at Menards.It has a Briggs and stratten engine(gas),yet is portable enough to keep inside the vehicle,or better yet,inside your warm house.20 minutes prior to starting my truck,I plug this 1100 watt generator into the block heater and the truck has started much more smoothly.I chain the generator to the bumper so I don't have to worry about anyone stealing my generator.It is a small enough generator to fit on the floor of the passenger side,so I can carry it with me if there are other roadside emergencies along the way.

Old 12-19-2002, 11:37 AM
johngiglio
New User

Hi, my name in John Giglio and I am the Inside Sales Representative for Espar Heater Systems. We specialize in Bunk and Coolant fuel fired heaters and as well we are the suppliers for the add heaters in the upcomming new Ford F Series pick up trucks. Please call me at 905-670-0960 ext.226 if you need further information or check out our website at www.espar.com. Happy Holidays.

Old 12-19-2002, 12:19 PM
bricot
Elder User

>Do like I do, keep a spare key in your pocket and lock the
>doors with the truck running...
>
>Tripp

My remote start will allow you to engage it while the truck is running, take the keys out (engine still runs) and lock up the truck with the remote, and let it run till you get back. Unlock, put the key in, away you go.

Quick Reply: block heaters, no plug in