2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra quiet Steel???

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 03:32 PM
Toreador
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ultra quiet Steel???

Ok, even those that have the various vibration problems say this new F150 is a ride worth fighting for. I wish them the best and I hope they can get together via e-mail to colletively solve the problem. But the question is can this ride be made even better? Here were some ideas I came up with thanks to this great forum I enjoy:

1. Floor Mats. installing top quality floor mats will help dampen road noise. I would recommend either Nifty Catch all or the Husky which ever is the thickest and give most coverage. I'd also add some layer of cover under the seats. I'll do more research to find out which brand is the best.

2. Undercoating. I've read an undercoating such as Dynaliner Max, Cascade VB 4, and Quiet Kote can dampen road noise.

3. Spray on bedliner. Spray on is better than drop in since drop in rattles. It provides more dampening properties added to those I've already listed. The best ones are Rhino, LineX, and Speedliner. The one that is the thickest would probably be the best pick. Rhino seems more "rubbery" thus may be the best pick.

4. Daystar Comfort lifts. Even though I only have a 4x2 these can still be installed I've read that these also help with the quality of the ride.

5. ??? Any other suggestions can be added here!!!

Old 04-06-2004, 04:24 PM
baja_stx
Senior User
Not to change the subject, but on the topic of "Quiet Steel" I thought I'd mention this.

I read in the newspaper that the 5.4L 3V oil pan is also made out of Quiet Steel to keep engine noise down.

This may persuade you to get the optional skid plates on Lariat 4X4 to protect that oil pan because It's probably EXPENSIVE.

Old 04-06-2004, 05:10 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
on mine i went to a car stero store and bought some sound deading pads, peeled the carpet up put them on the floor boards and firewall, also added insulation around floor where your feet are, helps keep your feet warm when its really cold out on long trips. also added insulation the roof inbetween the head liner.

Old 04-06-2004, 07:49 PM
Toreador
Elder User
Originally Posted by f=2504by497
on mine i went to a car stero store and bought some sound deading pads, peeled the carpet up put them on the floor boards and firewall, also added insulation around floor where your feet are, helps keep your feet warm when its really cold out on long trips. also added insulation the roof inbetween the head liner.
Great idea. If you combine that with the Husky or Catch All floor mats that would make a difference in road noise which is already very low. Another idea for comfort and ride would be to install wider tires. I'm not sure if taller tires would make a difference, but wider should give a better grip on the road.

Old 04-06-2004, 08:35 PM
ultramax21
Senior User
any one got a suggestion for wind noise around the windshield area? It may just be me but I think my truck has excesive wind noise coming from the lower windshield area. I thought it was the large mirrors, but the more I listen it's coming from the windshield. I drove my dad's 97 f150 the other day and it really had wind noise around the mirrors, but the windshield area was dead quiet.

Old 04-06-2004, 08:58 PM
dusty1
Senior User
I'd add a Tonneau cover. Closes in the bed, deadening wind noise back there. Also, tie down your stuff in the bed!

Old 04-06-2004, 09:40 PM
michhern
New User
my windshield makes the same noise when i am going above 50, its pretty loud.

Old 04-06-2004, 09:45 PM
ultramax21
Senior User
my problem exactly michhern, do you know if by chance your truck is a job#2?

Old 04-06-2004, 09:53 PM
michhern
New User
i cant seem to find the little paper that had my build info on it, hang on i will look for it.

Old 04-06-2004, 09:54 PM
michhern
New User
my load line is 247 8 , i dont know if that helps? Where else would i look?

Old 04-06-2004, 10:38 PM
ultramax21
Senior User
when you open the drivers side door it you should see a sticker on the inside of the door somewhere depending on your cab configuration. It will have your build date, to my knowledge anything built feburary or after is job#2. Also you can look at your window sticker and it should say somewhere either job#1 or #2.

The reason I keep harking about this is I specifically remember test driving 3 different FX4 trucks from late December through early January which were all job1 trucks. On the interstate at 70+ mph I promise I didn't hear anything (except the rear window rattle). If I searched back on the forum enough I could find my posts describing my first test drive. It was best described as watching a Nascar race with your TV on mute. I thought the truck was dangerously quiet. But my truck isn't this quiet, its almost like they forgot to put a seal around the lower portion of my windshield, it sounds like I'm always driving into a constant head wind above 50mph. My service tech ran my VIN for a possibe TSB but it didn't have anything.

Old 04-06-2004, 11:31 PM
Toreador
Elder User
Originally Posted by ultramax21
any one got a suggestion for wind noise around the windshield area? It may just be me but I think my truck has excesive wind noise coming from the lower windshield area. I thought it was the large mirrors, but the more I listen it's coming from the windshield. I drove my dad's 97 f150 the other day and it really had wind noise around the mirrors, but the windshield area was dead quiet.
Maybe there is some sort of "sealant" you can use. Of course it would need to be clear or a type that would seep around the window seal. Large chunks of white RTV probably wouldn't look too good. Google newsgroups might have some suggestions. I have some wind noise, but I think it's nomal sounding. However the description you give later of "dangerously quiet" makes me wonder.

Old 04-07-2004, 12:37 AM
Toreador
Elder User
Originally Posted by f=2504by497
I looked into the prices of those sound barrier mats and wow they are expensive. I wonder if this stuff is real: www.quietcar.net and who did this "study": http://www.quietcoat.com/html/compare_to_dynamat.html

Hopefully I can find a less expensive material.

Old 04-07-2004, 05:12 AM
dusty1
Senior User
My F150 is a Job#2, and it does not have the windshield noise. I have the Ford high profile bug guard installed, however. Don't know if this makes a difference.

Old 04-07-2004, 05:36 AM
bigjack
Elder User
I really don't think I need it any quieter than it already is. Any quieter and the voices in my head would be deafening.

Quick Reply: Ultra quiet Steel???