Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > 4 Cylinder Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-05-2004, 10:12 PM
New User

ArcticRanger is starting off with a positive reputation.
backfiring after installing new timing belt?

I have a 1984 ford ranger 2wd w/ 2.0L and a 4sp.

my problem is i Just installed a new timing belt. got it all timed up, right.
but now it backfires (small Pop) out the tailpipe. does it once a revolution of the crank. Freind told me a piston could've hit a valve when the Timing belt gave. but im hoping thats not it. anybody have any ideas what it may be?

Last edited by ArcticRanger; 04-05-2004 at 10:16 PM.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:22 AM
Postmaster

tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.
Well, it is not the valves hitting the pistons as this is a non-interference engine. I'd put the crank at TDC, and pull the little rubber plug you will find hidden behind the upper radiator hose. The mark on the cam pulley should line up with the pointer. You may have also not gotten the tensioner to 'snap' into place fully. (I KNOW from experience) That will put the cam timing off, and the engine will run like it has a rubber band moving the cam.. onnnnn offfff.. onnnn offff and be real lazy.
Didja check that the rotor button was pointing at the number one plug wire when you did all the work? Did you check the ignition timing after the replacement? Check the cam pointer, then the ignition timing, and let us know...
tom
Old 04-08-2004, 09:42 PM
New User

ArcticRanger is starting off with a positive reputation.
yeah i have the timing set up right. tdc, mark lines up. got distrubitor pointing at #1 point. what do you mean by getting the tensioner to "snap" into place?
cant find anything about that in my chiltons

After posting I went back out and fiddled with the timing. idle was way low so turned that up. fiddled with distrubitor a bit and got running a bit better. wasnt backfiring as often. maybe once every 3-5 seconds. after that I put everything back together. Than turned off the engine. when i came back and started it up. it would run real erratic for a moment than die. so i thought "ok maybe a accidently moved the dist. while tightneing it" so i fiddle with it than "BANG" and a big flash and there goes my intake gasket. darn backfire
could a leaky intake gasket have been my problem to begin with.

Last edited by ArcticRanger; 04-08-2004 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:12 PM
Freshman User

bunting1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I know this may sound real stupid but did you take off the distributor wires? (do you have a power pack?)
I once put them back on in the wrong order and bam! backfire like you described.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:12 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > 4 Cylinder Engines

Tags
1984, 23, 28, backfires, backfiring, belt, changing, engine, ford, gasket, install, installing, intake, motor, replacment, suburban, timing