2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"chatter" from underneath steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 12:15 AM
ultramax21
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"chatter" from underneath steering wheel

something underneath my steering wheel is making a chatter/rattle sound. Each day I get home I spend about 15 minutes laying in my floor board with a flash light trying to locate the cause of this annoying sound. So far no luck, but it sounds like a loose piece of tape or wire connector rubbing against something as I travel down the road. Even on smooth roads it still dose it, just not as frequent. Any suggestions? and no it's not my keys I've held them while going down the road just to make sure this annoying sound wasn't being caused by them.

I test drove a truck in January that had the rear window rattle, this sounds very much like it. However, I'm certian the sound is coming from underneath my steering wheel. My truck is job#2 so I'm sort of under the impression that the rear window rattle was fixed at the factory.

Old 05-10-2004, 11:32 PM
chitterchad
New User
Smile chatter underneath the steering wheel

I had the same noise from underneath the steering wheel. The dealer fixed it. What they found was a air intake snorkel vibrating, they removed and reinstalled it. Working fine now

Old 05-11-2004, 12:35 PM
ultramax21
Senior User
After leaving my truck at the dealership for 2 weeks for this simple but annoying noise, I get my truck back only to have the noise return the next day. I was very P*ssed, but decided I would live with it before I left my truck in the shop another 2 weeks for the same thing.

However, I finaly found the cause myself. Laying in my floorboard on a daily basis trying desperatlely to find the cause of this noise I accidently bumped the steering shaft pretty hard with my hand (hurt my hand), but I noticed as I was cussing myself that I had just heard my "annoying noise". I bumped the steering shaft again and sure enough that was it. I have yet to take it back to the dealership for an offical fix, but for now I have made the noise stop with black electrical tape haha, I wrapped about a half roll around the steering shaft and I suppose it is dampening the noise to where I can't hear it.

Old 05-11-2004, 12:38 PM
F150Texan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ultramax21
but for now I have made the noise stop with black electrical tape haha, I wrapped about a half roll around the steering shaft and I suppose it is dampening the noise to where I can't hear it.
Hahaha...good to hear man. But I thought ductape was the official fix-it-all tape

Old 05-11-2004, 02:34 PM
HARLAND CALLENDER
New User
My driver's side speaker was loose.

Old 05-11-2004, 05:24 PM
ultramax21
Senior User
Originally Posted by F150Texan
Hahaha...good to hear man. But I thought ductape was the official fix-it-all tape

Yes ductape is the official tape of champions, but I have friends that work for the local electrical co-op and they are always giving me a couple rolls of black electrical tape. I am a strong believer in ductape though and "zip-tie's", I built a 10' X 6' chicken float for a homecoming parade using both!

Old 05-11-2004, 05:43 PM
F150Texan
Posting Guru
Talking

Originally Posted by ultramax21
Yes ductape is the official tape of champions, but I have friends that work for the local electrical co-op and they are always giving me a couple rolls of black electrical tape. I am a strong believer in ductape though and "zip-tie's", I built a 10' X 6' chicken float for a homecoming parade using both!
Zip ties...now there is a quality fix-it-all. I think 1/2 the world's problems can be repaired with those