leaking oil in 4.2

Old 04-03-2004, 01:47 PM
Andyd00d
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy leaking oil in 4.2

Hey everyone I am a new to this parts I just purchased a 97' f150 4.2 L and it seems to be leaking oil from the rear main seal from the hole. As well it seems to be leaking from the valve cover on the right side(passenger)whenever I travel longer distances to and from school which is like 50 miles roundtrip. The dealership I bought it from says they replaced the valve covers b/c they were leaking which I think was mostly on the right (passenger side)
Anyways I have been reading the common head gaskets problems with the 4.2 and I am hoping for the best, the truck was a one owner and has 110k on it. They said they did a full compression check so I assume everything is fine w/ the engine. I took it to a tire and oil place and they put it up on a rack and said that it was everywhere, head gasket, timing chain gasket, and main seal but I think it might just be spraying everywhere due to the valve covers unproperly installed. But they did have to put in 1 qt. of oil I had loss in about 10 days time. All gauges seem fine and idle is fine. I am open to any suggestions. thanks
Andy

Search this Thread