1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Steering box lubricant - what's your pleasure?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 09:06 AM
OilLeaks
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering box lubricant - what's your pleasure?

I've read that people use everything in these things from gear lube to something like 600 weight (tar?) oil or grease. I've heard of home brew mixtures using gearlube/moly grease/STP and even more bizarre things.

I know what the manual says but is there something better given the advances in lubricating technology in the last several years.

What do the esteemed, practical and highly accurate members of the FTE Forum recommend to this poor humble Florida boy trying to get his ugly (my wifes view - eye of the beholder etc etc etc) old 51 back on the road?

Thanks - all feedback, suggestions and comments are appreciated!

"Leaks"

Old 04-03-2004, 09:28 AM
Sixoh
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I just use 90w gear oil. Of course, up until now, it's just run right back out w/in a week, so I guess you can say I don't use anything!

Old 04-03-2004, 09:36 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
90W gear lube. Don't use grease - it squeezes out of the gear leaving it eventually 'dry'. And the 600wt? That is an old designation #, but it has about the same consistency as modern 90W. If you have a leaking seal, a little STP will slow the leak.

Old 04-03-2004, 10:06 AM
OilLeaks
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you gentlemen! The 600 wt deal has had me perplexed for some time - an old designation number makes perrect sense. 90 wt with perhaps a wee bit of STP sounds good to me!