Help...Crank No Start

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 08:19 AM
jlucia
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help...Crank No Start

I purchased a 91 Taurus GL Wagon that wasn't running. I checked for spark and didn't have any. When you disconnect the onboard computer, there is spark but , of course, the engine won't start. I have replaced the distributor, coil, distributor cap and rotor, ignition module, and even the computer. Still won't start. I purchased an Actron code scanner and no codes were received...self test not functional. The original computer, coil, and ignition module are back in the car. I returned the new ones when they didn't fix the problem. Any ideas? I need HELP!!!

Old 04-03-2004, 09:48 PM
hreed
Posting Guru
Go back to the basics. You need air, fuel, spark, and compression to make this vehicle run. Check them all and keep us posted. Good luck.

Old 04-03-2004, 09:51 PM
Kurts74ford
Freshman User
did you check the timing belt and timing. If the belt is old and wore out it could have jumped a notch or two, or be broken.

Old 04-04-2004, 07:25 AM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The 3.0L V-6 has a timing chain, not a belt.......

Old 04-04-2004, 07:49 AM
Kurts74ford
Freshman User
Either way, who is say that the timing hasnt jumped.

Old 04-04-2004, 08:09 AM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kurts74ford
Either way, who is say that the timing hasnt jumped.
Jumped timing will not cause a "NO SPARK" condition, just spark at the wrong time....

Old 04-04-2004, 08:36 AM
Troll45
Senior User
The negative battery cable has one large and two small cables coming from the battery post. There is a grey connector about eight inches away from the post on the two smaller wires. The terminals have a problem with overheating in the connector and melting the connector or just building up corrosion in the terminals causing them to loose contact. Take this connector apart and clean thoroughly or cut out connector and use heavy duty but connector's to splice the wires back together. Whenever I get a no start in the shop that the first thing that I look at and it usually fixes it. You may also have a problem with the IMRC (Kinda Pricey) under the info cover on the drivers side above the radiator. It has all the relays built inside of it. If you get one from the junkyard make sure it has same part# on it, there are differences in them internally.
One thing you didnt mention is if it has fuel pressure. You may have a bad fuel pump. The ground wire also affects fuel pump operation. Get a cheap fuel pressure guage that can be attached to the schrader valve on the fuel rail at intake. You should have at least 30psi.

Old 04-04-2004, 06:55 PM
jlucia
New User
Thanks to all who have responded. Troll, I checked the grey connector and it is good. I located a junk yard on the internet that has the correct (numbers match) "radiator mount engine computer" for $15.00. I'll let you all know after I replace it if it does the trick. I noticed that the numbers on the existing radiator mount computer did not match the numbers on the bracket that holds it. The numbers on the computer match for a Mustang while the numbers on the bracket are for a Taurus. Apparently someone has replaced it before. I do know that the car was operating with it in it. I ordered using the number off of the bracket.

Old 04-04-2004, 07:50 PM
Troll45
Senior User
Error in my earlier post. Its not an IMRC It is a CCRM (Constant Control Relay Module) or IRCM (Integrated Relay Control Module), so many abbreviations for these vehicles these days I get confused sometimes. Alot of times people install the wrong modules because they look alike and bolt up but they are very different internally in the jobs they perform. The part# on the part is an engineering# that is actually different than the Part# that the dealer will order it by. The dealer should be able to give you the correct engineering# by looking up the part. That way you can see if the part you have is correct for the vehicle.

Old 04-14-2004, 06:33 PM
jlucia
New User
I replaced the CCRM (the module that mounts on the radiator) and still have the same problem. No spark unless you disconnect the wiring harness from the on-board computer. I also noticed that with the key on run the "check engine " light doesn't light and I believe it should. Does anyone have any suggestions? Please see my first post to see what all I've tried so far.

Old 01-20-2006, 06:32 PM
SwOkcOffRoader
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know this is an old thread, but im having the same problem on a similar vehicle, the problem being no spark...im hoping maybe someone has found a cure for the ailment....i have changed the dizzy and had the Ignition modual checked...