For those with a blower on an FE

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 11:00 AM
dieingford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those with a blower on an FE

I am really thinking about adding a 6-71 or 8-71 BDS setup to my 446 stroker plans. Any advice or drawbacks in regards to doing this to an FE? Is there anything special with FE's that I should take into account when building a blown stroker?

Old 04-02-2004, 11:38 AM
Scouder
Posting Guru

If you are putting it in a truck, be sure that the engine is centered in the engine bay. On my high boy the engine is offset to the passenger side about 2 inches. This means that anything that protrudes through the hood would be off center.

As to the rest of the question. No, there is no reason not to supercharge your FE. Typically it is not recommended to use a cast crank in a supercharged application, but it probably depends on the HP output you expect to produce. If you are really planning on zinging it, then you may want a billet crank. Use good rods and forged pistons and you should be fine.

The ONLY reason I didn't supercharge mine was the off-center thing.

-Scouder

Old 04-02-2004, 11:57 AM
dieingford
Senior User
I'm looking at the stroker kits at flatlander. They offer many options as far as crank rods and pistons go. In regards to the off center thing I really hadn't noticed it on my truck. I'll have to go look now. If it is off center is there a way to center the motor and tranny without having to mess with the axles? This is going into a 4x4. How much boost are you guys running on your FE's?

Old 04-02-2004, 12:33 PM
Mike G
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you can hold out, Freightrain (Larry) runs a blown 390 in a Galaxie, maybe he will check in on this one and shine some wisdom down.

--Mike

Old 04-02-2004, 12:34 PM
Scouder
Posting Guru

Which truck do you have. The problem with trying to center the engine/tranny is that the transmission hump in the cab is also off center, at least on the 73-79 series. The axles don't care.

Boost is something you should talk to your supercharger manufacturer about. It will vary with each customer depending on what they want it to do.

-Scouder

Old 04-02-2004, 02:05 PM
dieingford
Senior User
The truck is a 76 F250 4x4. I was wondering about the boost because I don't want any problems with the block itself. I was hoping Freightrain was on. The forced induction guys said to look for him here. I'm trying to keep this part FE related so it doesn't get moved.

Old 04-03-2004, 06:47 AM
dinosaurfan
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
blowered FE

Die, you can blower an FE, they are pretty sturdy, but if you want more than 600 you might want to think about crossbolting the mains, or using one of Shoe's 'capsaddles' when they become available. As for the stroker kit from Flatlanders.....you may want to reconsider. One of our men here used an engine kit from them and has had lots of problems. Apparently their customer service is very slow, and they don't really build your stuff at all. They appear to be a virtual company that exists only on the net. They contract with whomever is convenient to build your stuff. maybe they use a good guy to do yours, maybe you get the crappy guy. Do you want to take the risk ? There are other folks who will build for you that don't have a reputation of slow service and problems. Do you need a suggestion ? Where do you live ? Maybe one of the others here lives in your area and can suggest a good shop. DF

Old 04-03-2004, 08:19 AM
Ratsmoker
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Where do you all get crank pulleys and stuff for the FE? It takes a heck of a lot more than just a blower manifold to make one work. Dad has been wanting me to build a blown FE ever since I started tinkering with these things.

Old 04-03-2004, 08:26 AM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Sean... I think freightrain would be the one to ask...he has that blown 63....Russ

Old 04-03-2004, 12:56 PM
Randyb12
Posting Guru
BDS has everything you need.

Old 04-03-2004, 01:15 PM
Scouder
Posting Guru

Faron on the other forum swears by Don Hampton. I spoke with him when I was setting up to supercharge mine and he was very helpful.

-Scouder

Old 04-03-2004, 04:46 PM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Hey Scouder.....

May ask why your engine sets 2" to the passenger side? Remember Im a Dummy!

Yep time for a Beer to feed that 1 brain cell... LOL!!

Old 04-03-2004, 05:08 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
I hope I'm not too far off on this one, but has anyone put a centrifugal intercooled blower on an FE?

Old 04-03-2004, 05:20 PM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Kurt..
Are you talking Blower under the carb forced induction? Or Turbo?

Old 04-03-2004, 06:12 PM
Ratsmoker
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
A centrifugal blower is closer to a turbo than a roots type but it is still belt driven and feeds the carb through ductwork just like a turbo. It usually mounts about where the power steering goes but it can go anywhere there is room to hang it and still meet the bely up with the crank pulley.

Quick Reply: For those with a blower on an FE