2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome Trim

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 06:13 PM
TWellmann
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Chrome Trim

I've installed some chrome trim on my truck, specifically door handles and tail light covers (I'm waiting for the tailgate handle cover). I've also installed a stainless steel exhaust tip. There are pics in my gallery of these items in the "Chrome Trim" album if you wanted to see it...and yes, there is a nice reflection of me in the bumper of one pic...

A question about these items came up in another thread so I figured I'd start a new thread so others could get the info if they were interested.

The door handles and tail light covers are made by Putco (www.putco.com). You can quickly find their price list at:
http://www.putco.com/common/pricing.php?grp=chrome

I've got the following part numbers:
401012 - the 4 door handles
401805 - the tail light covers

I'm waiting for:
401016 - the tailgate handle

They also make head lamp covers and mirror covers but I'm not sure what they'll look like so I haven't ordered them...and I'm not sure I want that much chrome on my truck.

I paid $220 for these items (excluding the tailgate handle because it's on backorder) including installation...I figured it wasn't worth my hassle and I would have paid shipping anyway.

If you're looking to put a chrome tip on it, you need a 3" one.

I picked up a nice 3A Racing stainless steel, rounded edge slash tip at PepBoys for under $40. It's got a 3" inlet with a 4" outlet by 11" long. I love the way it looks...I don't recall the part number off hand, I've got it at home and I'll post it later. Before I bought it I searched for it on line but couldn't find it so I don't know if it's something only sent to PepBoys.

When I installed the tip, I cut my exhaust pipe back several inches because I didn't want to see the factory pipe and the tip is resonated so I wanted to take advantage of that even though it doesn't seem to sound any different...at least not that I really noticed.

Hope that helps!

Old 03-31-2004, 06:28 PM
TWellmann
Senior User
BTW, the chrome handles and tail light covers are stuck on with double stick tape and 3M adhesive spray...You've got to wash your plastic with alcohol to get all of the oil and stuff off first otherwise it won't stick well...They are stuck on very well and I don't expect any problems with them.

The pipe is clamped on...it came with three of those screw out type clamps that pinch it onto the exhaust pipe. Since my factory tailpipe was so large I only needed one to hold the tip on...I was happy about this because I was able to use the one on the "back side" (side facing towards the front of the truck) so you can't even see it and it looks like a nice tight fit.

Old 03-31-2004, 06:45 PM
InboundFX4
Senior User
I'm not a chrome fan but I like what you did. Looks real nice. Awesome Kenwood setup too

Old 03-31-2004, 07:51 PM
WEB
Senior User
Does anyone know where to get someting to dress up the third brake light on the cab? For such a great looking truck I hate the white cover, it looks real cheesy to me. I have seen covers for later models and other trucks but not the 04 yet.

Old 03-31-2004, 11:29 PM
TWellmann
Senior User
Just to follow-up on my earlier post, the 3A Racing exhaust tip is number I installed is "62-2419"

Old 04-01-2004, 03:18 PM
jzarwell
Freshman User
What did your Kenwood setup cost, including installation if you dont mind me asking. Looks incredible, how do you like it so far?

Old 04-01-2004, 03:57 PM
TWellmann
Senior User
Kenwood setup cost just a bit under 4k installed (installation was $480) so you could save that if you did it yourself...but I figured that I already spent so much on the truck and the hardware I didn't want to be cheap here and mess something up.

See the following thread for the details of the system:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=219210

Old 04-01-2004, 04:56 PM
2004lariat
Junior User
TWellmann,

I noticed that you are using the SWI-X. How is it? How does it work. I am looking to get one for my truck when it arrives. What did you pay for it and where?

Thanks for the info.

Old 04-01-2004, 05:53 PM
TWellmann
Senior User
I like it. If I recall correctly, it was $50. I got it through the shop that installed my system...it wouldn't surprise me if you can find it cheaper online.

It works really well, I'm very happy with it. Keeping the steering wheel controls was a key factor in the decision to upgrade my radio...I didn't want to part with them, at all.

The I/R transmitter is hidden in the headliner and sticks out just a big from behind the trim piece of my mini overhead console...you can't even see it from the drivers seat.

It's currently programmed to change the volume up/down, the music note is programmed to mute the audio and the mode is changed to switch the audio modes of the head unit.

Old 04-08-2004, 11:51 AM
dgordon
Junior User
TWELLMANN,
Love the exterior chrome upgrades. I have the same ones on my Aspen green screw. Don't know when you posted the pictures, but the tailgate cover is available now as well. I have mine on already! I opted for the bar style chrome tail light guards. I have the mirror covers on order. (still back ordered). I also have a chrome tailpipe tip. (Different style) NICE JOB!

Old 04-09-2004, 11:02 PM
TWellmann
Senior User
DGordon,

Post some pics. I'm curious to see how your tail light guards differ from mine.

Good to know the tailgate cover is out...I'll need to get that ASAP to complete the package.

Old 04-17-2004, 04:39 AM
tcparry
Senior User
Twellann - how would you rate the fittment of these Putco accessaries..In the past some companies dd not do a very good job in this respect..

Old 04-18-2004, 11:48 PM
TWellmann
Senior User
I'm very happy with the Putco chrome. I think they did a really nice job molding them to fit. The door handles even have the little indentation where your thumb goes when opening the door.

Old 04-19-2004, 06:24 AM
tcparry
Senior User
Twellmann - thanks for the reply. I sent for the Putco catolog, have not rec. it as yet...

Old 04-19-2004, 06:43 AM
OTHG_MIKE
Junior User
Man thats a sharp truck. I bet the chrome rocker panels would look great on there. Let me know if you have a hard time installing them. Just kidding. I'm looking to get some chrome as soon as they deliver my truck. If anyone installed the rocker covers let me know how they install and show some pics please.