1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

brakelight and instrumentconnection

Old 03-31-2004, 12:22 PM
helge
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brakelight and instrumentconnection

I can`t get my brakelights working, is the brakeswitch a connection to ground? How is the connection from Brakeswitch to Taillight?
My car seem to be rewired 12V with neg. ground.
I found a diagram on one page, but it seem to be from another system
I allsow have 2 wires/conn. going from my Instrumentpanel, I think it is the water and pressure conn, they just end up in nothing in the engineroom.
I have picture of this "wire" in my gallery.

Old 03-31-2004, 12:43 PM
helge
Junior User
[QUOTE=helge]I can`t get my brakelights working

And by the way, the heater just stopped with a sceary sound
any idea where to start looking?

Old 03-31-2004, 01:09 PM
fordgo
Senior User
do you have the original brakelight switch still on your truck? if you still have the master cylinder under the floor boards the switch is located there it has power (12 volts) off the light switch when you press the pedal the pressure closes the switch passing 12 volts to your tail lights as far as the heater i would look at the motor possibly some thing is binding it up or the motor burned up hope this helps

Old 03-31-2004, 01:23 PM
helge
Junior User
Originally Posted by fordgo
do you have the original brakelight switch still on your truck? if you still have the master cylinder under the floor boards the switch is located there it has power (12 volts) off the light switch when you press the pedal the pressure closes the switch passing 12 volts to your tail lights as far as the heater i would look at the motor possibly some thing is binding it up or the motor burned up hope this helps

I dont think it is the original, there is a switch monted over the breakpedal with two wires on it one red and one black, they seems to go straight back to the taillights. There are new wiring on the car.

Old 03-31-2004, 01:40 PM
vrongpeis
Junior User
Did you have brake-light`s earlier on , helge?
have you checked the connection to ground?
can you find 12 volts on that brakeswitch?
hidden fuses? (my truck has (read :had) lots of em! i`m also in the prosess of fix`n the electrical, removed 35-40 meters of spaghetti on monday and there seems to be just as much to go.)
good luck .
steven

Old 03-31-2004, 03:04 PM
helge
Junior User
Originally Posted by vrongpeis
Did you have brake-light`s earlier on , helge?
have you checked the connection to ground?
can you find 12 volts on that brakeswitch?
hidden fuses? (my truck has (read :had) lots of em! i`m also in the prosess of fix`n the electrical, removed 35-40 meters of spaghetti on monday and there seems to be just as much to go.)
good luck .
steven
No the wiring is new and the brakelights have never been connected with the new wiring.The other light (Park) is OK and its the same bulb 21w/7w I think.
When I Ohm the Brakeswitch there is conn to ground (0 Ohm) so my mind guess that ok, the bulb is getting 12v pos, and the brakeswitch added ground when pushed. Let there be light!!!
There is a new fuseboard with glassfuses and they seem to be ok, the only think is the way ttis fusebox is placed, to the left of the handbrake, nearly imposebly to reach.....
Thanks for responding, I am planing to spend the hole Eastern in my car.

Old 03-31-2004, 03:34 PM
merc546
Posting Guru
Helge

I don't think the brake switch should have a ground. One wire should have 12v always and the other wire should have 12v when you push the pedal and make contact with the switch. The second diagram shows this except it has a master cylinder mounted switch.

You do need to check the fuse (glass fuses haven't been used in a long time), also you may want to check into one of the new wiring kits it sounds like somebody took the fuse block out of a later model vehicle and then tried to make it work.

Chuck

Old 03-31-2004, 03:43 PM
helge
Junior User
Originally Posted by merc546
Helge

I don't think the brake switch should have a ground. One wire should have 12v always and the other wire should have 12v when you push the pedal and make contact with the switch. The second diagram shows this except it has a master cylinder mounted switch.

You do need to check the fuse (glass fuses haven't been used in a long time), also you may want to check into one of the new wiring kits it sounds like somebody took the fuse block out of a later model vehicle and then tried to make it work.

Chuck
I am going to check this out tomorrow, I know that the earlier owner order the wiringset from JohnsF100 as a "original" set, the brakeswitch is not part of this set, maby the switch has to be changed to fit the new wiring??If the old wiring is using ground as a conn, and the new pos??
Just thoughts from me

Old 03-31-2004, 04:31 PM
merc546
Posting Guru
I think up to and including 1955 the 6 volt system was a pos ground, when ford changed to 12 volt in 1956 they also changed to neg ground.

I think your system has a neg ground so maybe you need to trace all of the wiring and make sure it's wired somewhere near correct. You may want to move that fuse block also. Just thinking of more things to keep you busy.

Looked at your gallery thats a good looking truck.

Chuck

Old 03-31-2004, 04:45 PM
helge
Junior User
I think this great truck will keep me busy for a long long time

Old 03-31-2004, 11:12 PM
56f600
Senior User
You should have power into the switch all time and power out when pedal is pushed. If your switch is a travel type, is your pedal travelling far enough to trip the switch?? If tailights work and brakelights are in the same bulb your ground is OK. Try following the wire all the way starting at switch, who knows, maybe it isn't connected somewhere.

Old 04-01-2004, 04:29 PM
Thoth88
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you find it yet??

Check the switch do you have 12v on both sides? if yes then there's your prob, if not run a jumper to the non 12v side to a known ground and push the pedal, did this fix it.If not I would check your brake lights at the socket and see if you are getting power (pos ground), and trace that wire up to the cab to see if it goes where it it supposted to. Just because it's a (color) wire and there is on at the switch does not mean it is the same wire.

I just spent 3 weeks, give or take, rewiring my 59. When I started it had constant power to the brake lights and then grounded throught the after market switch, mounted to the barke pedal. I also ahd what looked like 10 rats nestes of wiring, some new some old some for home some for audio running power to the ****. I'm not sure how far you want to go with the project, but for me I like to know what wire goes where. I went to NAPA and bought every color of wire they had in 14g, unrolled all of them then proceded to make a harness. As of right EVERTHING WORKS RIGHT on the ****, and the rest of it. I also have 4 extra wires I can use for future needs and when I need to figure why something isn't working I know right where to go. The hardest part was crawling all around my truck but it was fun too.

When I first bought my 59 you got in, turned the key and then just like child birth you coached it to life. Now you get in turn the key and it's "LET'S GO!"

Good luck.

Old 04-01-2004, 04:54 PM
helge
Junior User
Thank you Thoth88, I will conn the one wire to 12v pos from the Light switch, and then see if there are light, I am still a bit confused about the 12v pos. ground, because
in Norway we use 12v neg ground, but what the h......, it`s a brand new day tomorrow,
and the sun is starting to shine here near the Northpole

Old 04-01-2004, 05:46 PM
merc546
Posting Guru
Helge

I am willing to bet your ground should be neg!!! Don't ground anything positive. Check your battery if the wire from the neg post goes to the frame or a good ground then it is neg ground.

Check the switch just like 56f600 said. If it is a electrical switch then with no brakes applied one side should be powered, if the switch is working correctly when you apply the brakes both sides should have power and if the tail lights are working when you pull the headlight switch then the ground is ok.

You may have a bad switch or it is installed wrong.

Chuck

Old 04-02-2004, 03:16 AM
helge
Junior User
Yes it is Neg ground, with a main switch, for safety I guess.
I am going to hunt down this wire from the switch to the tail of the truck, wish me luck
(Poesi)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: brakelight and instrumentconnection