Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Big Block V8 - 385 Series (6.1/370, 7.0/429, 7.5/460)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

460 Oil leak E350 Van recureing problem.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-31-2004, 11:41 AM
New User

bangbacj7 is starting off with a positive reputation.
460 Oil leak E350 Van recureing problem.

Hi all, I have an oil leak @ the oil filter adaptor,were it bolts to the block. I've tried,tightening the hollow bolt,A gasket cut from gasket meterial,An original metal gasket from Ford, red Loctite on the threads, smaller oil filter. Yesterday it started leaking from that same spot again for the third time.It was leaking when I bought it.After only 100 miles of local driveing, the leak keeps comming back.Is there any one here that can help?? Either with there own experience or can refer me to someone that can help? This 460 4v is in a 1977 motorhome with the E350 chassis. the oil filter,and the adaptor hang on the loosening side of the hollow bolt. If a remote mounted filter is in order, can anyone refer me to the right product? Because like the Moderator says" Real info. is importent when the wallet comes out". I really do need to make this repair permanent. Thanks in advance for your help. Bangba.
'A new Ford Guy'
Old 04-01-2004, 02:03 AM
Posting Guru

Superdave is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangbacj7
Hi all, I have an oil leak @ the oil filter adaptor,were it bolts to the block. I've tried,tightening the hollow bolt,A gasket cut from gasket meterial,An original metal gasket from Ford, red Loctite on the threads, smaller oil filter. Yesterday it started leaking from that same spot again for the third time.It was leaking when I bought it.After only 100 miles of local driveing, the leak keeps comming back.Is there any one here that can help?? Either with there own experience or can refer me to someone that can help? This 460 4v is in a 1977 motorhome with the E350 chassis. the oil filter,and the adaptor hang on the loosening side of the hollow bolt. If a remote mounted filter is in order, can anyone refer me to the right product? Because like the Moderator says" Real info. is importent when the wallet comes out". I really do need to make this repair permanent. Thanks in advance for your help. Bangba.
'A new Ford Guy'

Metal gasket? I thought there was an o-ring there. All of these that I have seen had an o-ring between the block and the adapter body.

2000 Superduty Lariat, Extended Cab 4x4, 5.4L
Old 04-01-2004, 07:26 AM
New User

metal gasket

The metal gasket is for 74' to 79' engines. after 79',Ford changed the desige of the adaptor. They are not interchangeable.The newer design has a rubber o-ring. I know because I went to Ford,and the first time they gave me the wrong parts.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:34 AM
New User

Good morning- I thought for sure I'd have some sort of answer to my problem oil leak by now. Has no-one any input?
Old 04-01-2004, 02:34 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
The metal gasket is for 74' to 79' engines. after 79',Ford changed the desige of the adaptor. They are not interchangeable.The newer design has a rubber o-ring. I know because I went to Ford,and the first time they gave me the wrong parts.
Thanks for the info. 79 and up is all I've dealt with, so thats why they had an o-ring.

If nothing is working, you may have to go a remote mount. You can find these in Jegs and Summit.

Old 04-02-2004, 12:09 PM
New User

Superdave- Thank you for your responce. It's pritty hard to find some one who knows the old motor. I'm not getting any replies. I thought for sure this was the place to get the answer. I'm not going to give up though. Thanks again, Dennis.
Old 04-03-2004, 01:19 AM
Posting Guru

bangbacj7

I would have figured you would have gotten a response here too.

I am just starting to learn about the newer EFI enignes. Well they aren't new, but new to me anyway. I like the old stuff for simplicity. I wish I could figure out a way to keep the rust away from these old bodies though.

Old 04-05-2004, 09:07 AM
Senior User

Hired Gun is starting off with a positive reputation.
Is there any chance it is leaking from the threads on the fittings. That's where my 460 van cooler adapter was leaking. It was a real bear to get in there to fix it in the van. I used teflon pipe paste on the threads. I've never had trouble with the bolt leaking. I believe red loctite is more of a thread locker than a sealant. I have had good luck with the teflon paste on my oil pan drain plug gaskets which just won't seal up either.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:01 AM
New User

Hired Gun - Thank you for your reply. The last time it leaked, it was a COLD start.About 10 degrees. I always look at it now to see if it's leaking.It shut it off, cleaned it with brake clean, and started again.It sure looked like it was leaking from between the adaptor and the block. Ford gave me a metal gasket for that location. It didn't seem like the hollow bolt was loose this time,maybe just the difference between the rate of expansion and contraction of the different metals involved. This time I cut a thick gasket from a heavy gasket meterial,Hi-tacked all the surfaces and used Blue Loctite on the threads.let the assembled parts set overnite. I've only started it and let it run in the driveway. It hasn't leaked yet,The weather here isn't the best right now,so I havn't been able to get it out on the road.I seem to get about 45/50 miles before it leaks again. If the threads on the hollow bolt,inside the block,are not sealed will that apply oil pressure to that adaptor gasket and make it leak? I used the Loctite to keep the hollow bolt from loosening up, not to seal it from leaking. Because the adaptor and oilfilter hang on the loosening side of that bolt,I thought the wieght was loosening the bolt and createing the leak. If this doesn't work this time, I'll try your idea.The oil pan plug also leaks.I'll fix that after I get thru this one. This Motorhome came with this leak and I can see why a non-mechanic type person would get sick of trying to fix it. I'm getting that way myself. I'm a retired service tech myself(from Chevrolet). But right now "I Love My 1977 Ford" Thanks again for your responce. Dennis.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:25 PM
Posting Guru

You may try to scrounge up a 79 - up adapter from another 460 powered van where it has the o-ring between the block and adapter.

That is, if it still appears to be leaking from particular area.

Old 04-05-2004, 01:58 PM
New User

Superdave- Thanks for the advice. Do you know, for sure that it will fit? Because if it does, I'll order one for Ford. They say that those parts are still available. Thanks again. Dennis.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:11 PM
Senior User

Hired Gun is starting off with a positive reputation.
My adapter has an o ring against the block. It is out of an F-250 and I put the whole thing right into my E-350. Sealant or not on the hollow bolt there is full oil pressure against the out side of the adapter. That bolt torques up to near 75 pounds and mine has never came loose. Double check that spec but that is what comes to mind.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:18 AM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Superdave- Thanks for the advice. Do you know, for sure that it will fit? Because if it does, I'll order one for Ford. They say that those parts are still available. Thanks again. Dennis.

The set up you describe sounds just like the adapter with the o-ring.

I sure would think it would fit.

You may get a little sticker shock ordering one of those from Ford. Watch e-baymotors for them, they are on there sometimes. But I will not tell you how to spend your money.

Old 04-06-2004, 08:24 AM
New User

Superdave- Hiredgun-I think - MAYBE - you guys hit on something! 75lbs of torque? I've been alittle leary of that kind of force on this,seamingly,wimpy hollow bolt. If 75 lbs is the torque, that in itself may cure the problem. Where to find the torque spec.? I have service (Motors) manuals from the period,but only 460 in a car applications.This bolt torque is not listed there. Almost like you would never need it. As for finding a cheeper way to find the changeover parts, I'm retired, So if you can advise me on how to spend my money(advise sounds better than TELL) I'm all ears. We.re on ebay all the time. Now I have something to look for. Well Superdave,Hiredgun, you,ve been AWSOME here. Thanks Alot for your input.When the problem appears to be solved,I'll let you guys know what fixed it.
Again, Thanks alot.
Dennis.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:55 PM
Freshman User

doctorq is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sorry I don't have any older spec.s, but for the the hollow bolt the 1996 Ford service manual calls out 40 - 65lb-ft. The insert that it screws into is spec'd at 45 - 150 lb-ft (Quite a range, eh?)

For the life of me I can't figure out how to attach a gif file to this post which would show you the exact illustration out of the manual - I know that would make ME feel better rather than just reading a torque spec. somebody typed in. . . Guess you'll have to trust me
MSD-6A Ignition w/MSD Coil & Wires
Electric Fans
BBK Adj. Fuel Pressure Regulator
Old 04-06-2004, 08:55 PM