Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Big Block V8 - 385 Series (6.1/370, 7.0/429, 7.5/460)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-06-2004, 10:11 PM
Senior User

1979ford is starting off with a positive reputation.
Have you tried some form in place flex gasket? I have used this numerous times in the ag industry. As soon as the part is bolted together it dries. I prefer to let it set up overnite. Just be sure your mating surfaces are clean and dry.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:44 AM
Posting Guru

Superdave is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangbacj7
Superdave- Hiredgun-I think - MAYBE - you guys hit on something! 75lbs of torque? I've been alittle leary of that kind of force on this,seamingly,wimpy hollow bolt. If 75 lbs is the torque, that in itself may cure the problem. Where to find the torque spec.? I have service (Motors) manuals from the period,but only 460 in a car applications.This bolt torque is not listed there. Almost like you would never need it. As for finding a cheeper way to find the changeover parts, I'm retired, So if you can advise me on how to spend my money(advise sounds better than TELL) I'm all ears. We.re on ebay all the time. Now I have something to look for. Well Superdave,Hiredgun, you,ve been AWSOME here. Thanks Alot for your input.When the problem appears to be solved,I'll let you guys know what fixed it.
Again, Thanks alot.
Dennis.
Here is an adapter thats on e-bay now. I can't see in the picture if it takes the o-ring on the block side, but you could e-mail the seller and find out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=10076

Give it a little bit to load, but if it won't open right. Its item number 2471684957. Just paste this number into the search window on e-baymotors.

2000 Superduty Lariat, Extended Cab 4x4, 5.4L

Last edited by Superdave; 04-07-2004 at 01:50 AM.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:21 PM
Posting Guru

spikedog is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Resurrecting an old thread here, but it seems to fit the same problem I'm having.

1982 E-350 motorhome with 460 - oil leak in the general area of the filter. No matter what brand filter I screwed on, it always has a drip on the end of it after a trip. After cranking on the latest filter, I noticed the adapter was slightly loose. I gave it whatfor with a box end wrench, which was the only tool that would fit unless I took the filter off. I was wondering what I might find under the adapter, since I'm figuring maybe the problem is a 26 year old gasket? O-ring, rubber gasket, garlock, what?
Old 10-02-2008, 09:10 PM
<---Dog is my co-pilot

ArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikedog View Post
I was wondering what I might find under the adapter, since I'm figuring maybe the problem is a 26 year old gasket? O-ring, rubber gasket, garlock, what?
My '87 has a square section rubber ring for a gasket.
It looks the same as what you see on the oil filter, and fits in a groove like an O-ring would.
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg117/donjamer/FTE%20Pics/blumax500-1-1.jpgFTE Fraternity of Blue Max
Old 10-03-2008, 02:59 PM
Posting Guru

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:34 AM
Posting Guru

Took it apart this weekend, and it has the 2.75" o-ring. That puppy was flat and brittle. The other thing I noticed was the hollow bolt has no sealant or gasket on it, even though it should be exposed to the oil pressure. The local parts stores didn't carry the o-ring, so I'll try the dealer this morning.

I jammed an o-ring down between the hollow bolt and the adapter since there is a little ledge near the end of the passageway of the adapter. Oil pressure should hold it in place. I'm tempted to squirt some RTV under the hollow bolt's head too as double insurance. If the oil pan drain has a nylon gasket on it, this bolt should have a seal too.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:36 PM
<---Dog is my co-pilot

ArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputation
There should be a fiber washer under the bolt head.
Perhaps is got brittle and pushed out under oil pressure, leading to the loose adapter.
When you went to the dealer did you see one on the fiche (or whatever they call a computer generated exploded view)
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg117/donjamer/FTE%20Pics/blumax500-1-1.jpgFTE Fraternity of Blue Max
Old 10-06-2008, 04:44 PM
Posting Guru

I called the dealer this morning on the o-ring - they said the o-ring part was obsolete. I ordered a FelPro o-ring from Checker; should have it tomorrow. Had to buy a bag of 5 for $2.50.

So I never got a look at the exploded view on the dealer's computer. I guess it comes in handy sometimes, eh? Neither Checker, RockAuto, or Autozone had a fiber gasket listed, although they did have the o-ring. After getting the additional o-ring stuffed into the space between the hollow bolt and adapter, I'm not too keen on doing it again. But I think I can get some form-a-gasket under the bolt head since you mention it needs a seal there.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:52 PM
<---Dog is my co-pilot

Good luck.
Let us know how it works.

That darn oil leak drove me crazy trying to find where it was coming from at first.
I imagine my 4X4 is a little more cramped in that location.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:33 PM
Junior User

DBAPilotDad is starting off with a positive reputation.
looking for an update on how your solution works, too. I just became the next lucky oil leaker on my '83 E-350 460 RV. Tightened the bolt on the adapter before the hunting trip, and I see it's dripping again/still after I got home last night. Looks like I'll be pulling it apart tonight for investigation.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:50 PM
Posting Guru

It worked fine, no leaks so far. I think the big o-ring part number was Felpro 447RR. I torqued it to 52 lbs. The other o-ring that I jammed down around the hollow bolt - no way of knowing how that worked. I used Permatex form-a-gasket on the underside of the hollow bolt, but I would've used a fiber gasket if I did it again. I would have had to disassemble the o-ring that I jammed down in there (used a piece of plastic sprinkler pipe to shove it up there good). Since the hollow bolt was held tight against the adapter by the improvised o-ring it just barely fit back between the block and the cross-member.

So, best way to fix it is with the new Felpro o-ring and find a fiber gasket that's the right size. The adapter can rotate around the hollow bolt, so make sure the oil filter will fit right before you torque it down. I fudged towards the radiator hose rather than have the filter touching the cross-member.

Good luck with it.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:03 PM
Junior User

Thanks for the quick response - I just found the Fel-Pro part number you noted on Rock Auto. I think I am going to find/make a fiber gasket for the bolt head. I think I saw an edge of a gasket under the bolt head when I tightened it up - but in the dark, late for hunting trip, oil dripping in my face, judicious exercising of my Navy language, it's hard to be sure ...

Thanks! BTW, where in WY? I was spittin' distance to Baggs this weekend chasing mulies.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:57 PM
Posting Guru

Rock Springs. Jeez, you are in a good spot for mulies. I see more deer roadkill per mile between Baggs and Craig, CO than any other road in the world. Navy language - I know that - mechanic's lube. I can use the f-bomb as a noun, verb, and adverb - all in the same sentence. Nuc Machinist's Mate MM2 ELT, 1977-83.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:44 PM
Junior User

Ha! Yeah, I've seen more mulies in that area as road kill than I see anywhere in the mountains in CO. Unfortunately, they all took a holiday this weekend! Found about 8 dead ones when I was hiking around - looked like bad winter kill or something!

We were in about the same time - AT2 Aircrew on E-2 Hawkeye - '76-'85
Old 11-02-2008, 06:34 PM
Junior User

Just got around to pulling the filter adapter off - put the Fel-Pro 447 RR o-ring in the slot and it only fills it about half way. It's the right height, but about half as thick as it should be. Hmmm, more correctly, OD appears good, but ID is too thin, and based on the height, looks like this adapter should be a flat gasket like an oil filter?

83 E-350 460

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:34 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Big Block V8 - 385 Series (6.1/370, 7.0/429, 7.5/460)

Tags
460, 73, 83, 97, adapter, e350, filter, ford, leak, leaks, oil, pan, ring, torque, van